1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Jack location

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

putting the truck in 4x4 as a stop should be unnecessary, i have never had an issue w/o that and w/o always chocking the front wheels (for example when setting up for a tire rotation, i just put one jack under the rear end, and two under the front, never had a vehicle roll off on me)

Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
putting the truck in 4x4 as a stop should be unnecessary, i have never had an issue w/o that and w/o always chocking the front wheels (for example when setting up for a tire rotation, i just put one jack under the rear end, and two under the front, never had a vehicle roll off on me)
honestly, not chocking the wheels (or keeping them still some other way) just seems to be asking for trouble to me, but to each their own.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

dude, when all 4 wheels are going to be in the air and all 4 tires are coming off chocking the wheels will do exactly NOTHING, did you even read the situation i was referring to?, it also helps if you dont have it parked on a hill.

i would also like to ask if you carry wheel chocks in the truck so that you can chock the wheels if you get a flat on the side of the road? no, didnt think so . . . but you still jack the truck up and change the tire.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
dude, when all 4 wheels are going to be in the air and all 4 tires are coming off chocking the wheels will do exactly NOTHING, did you even read the situation i was referring to?, it also helps if you dont have it parked on a hill.

i would also like to ask if you carry wheel chocks in the truck so that you can chock the wheels if you get a flat on the side of the road? no, didnt think so . . . but you still jack the truck up and change the tire.

You are wrong saying that chocking the wheels does nothing. If you are jacking up one end of the truck and have the other on the ground (like the op) then either the wheels that are on the ground are going to need to move to compensate for the angle of the jack changing as it lifts and the angle of the vehicle changing as it is lifted because with respect to the ground, where the jack is, your jacking point is moving towards the wheels on the ground. To compensate for this either the wheels on the ground have to move or the jack has to move. It's better for the jack to move because that gives you control over the vehicle instead of the vehicle dragging the jack along, which has the possibility to end badly, as it did in the op's case. That is why you chock the wheels to keep them from moving.

And you're wrong again, yes I do have wheel chocks in the back of my truck. You never know when/if/where you might get a flat, and you never know what the terrain might be like. I have needed them on the side of the road before, and am glad I have them.

The point of chocking the wheels is preventative safety. No, from a mechanical standpoint they may not always keep the wheels from moving, but there are situations when they are what keeps things from turning out bad, because if the truck does fall off the jack it can damage the truck and could cause injury or even death to both you and others, I've seen it happen. Taking the time (probably not even a minute) to chock the wheels before you start jacking is well worth the safety benefit you get from using them, and no matter what you might think or say you are never going to convince me otherwise.

Next time, consider everything before you start attacking people, because I wasn't telling you what to do, or even saying you were wrong; if anything I was trying to look out for you so you wouldn't get hurt in the future, but apparently you'd rather just go on the attack and tell everyone else that they were wrong for trying to help.

Last edited by that_guy; 11-29-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:00 PM
jaz27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys well I have always figured that the place to jack the D up was right under the side step, well not exactly under it but a bit more in, and I did notice some bulding of the side step itself. So when I was doing I decided to jack it up with the OEM jack a bit further in. Now IDK if that the rail or not but when I took the tire off the truck just rolled and slipped off the jack. It was intense I was already thinking what I was excuse to give my wife in regards to my broken leg! LOL.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

jaz, you can clearly identify the frame underneath and that is where you are should be jacking from.

that_guy, I WAS NOT ATTACKING YOU, however you seem to be unable to carry on a conversation without taking something the wrong way and getting pissed at someone.

that said, when you have all 4 wheels up in the air the chocks do nothing (as i stated before, maybe not in the most clear sense, since the tires are above them), you are also the only person i know of who is **** enough to carry wheel chocks, if you are on the side of the road and set the e-brake and only have one wheel up to change it you should not have any trouble with the vehicle rolling regardless of terrain (i have never had to test that, but my father who has been driving for 50+ years has tested in on a couple of occasions).

on another note, being a mechanical engineer i know exactly how a jack works, and the jack can ONLY move if you are using a floor jack w/ wheels on the front, yes the jack will roll in to keep the saddle in contact with the exact same spot on the frame, however many people use bottle jacks under the frame, this still requires the opposite axle to move (either that or the jack will tip) which is also a safety hazard.

now PLEASE stop thinking that everyone is out to get you, i promise that noone on this site is out to get you. btw i am not the only one to notice this, if you would like to DISCUSS it further please PM me and keep it out of the threads. THANKS!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had to block my wheels when changing a flat. I block them if I'm under the car. Otherwise I've had no car ever slip off a jack

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by srch4me
I've never had to block my wheels when changing a flat. I block them if I'm under the car. Otherwise I've had no car ever slip off a jack
[/SIZE]
correct, this is how most people work and is perfectly acceptable

Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srch4me

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android
+1 i have never blocked my wheels and i also have never had one slip off.... If i am planning on being under it the jack stands come out.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM
jaz27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Never say Never, I have never had one slip off either. I never thought it would have and I never use block either. It was prob one of those things.

Quick Reply: Jack location