1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7l hesitates when accelerating from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
kevinch417
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7l hesitates when accelerating from a stop

I have a 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7l and whenever I start to accelerate it moves slightly and then stops before moving properly a second later. I'm not sure if I am describing it correctly but it is almost as if when i start from a stop, it does a false start and kicks into driving after that.

Does anyone know why it would be doing that?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
03durangokoczan

I have the same Durango and the same problem. My Durango also shuts off while driving it or sitting at stop signs. I was reading some of the posts on here yesterday and took the advice of someone and reset the computer. It runs really quiet now and doesn't hesitate when I pull out. It hasn't stalled yet but I only drove it twice since the reset. I disconnected the neg. terminal on the battery, turned the key to start for 30 seconds, shut the key off and reconnected the terminal. You can try this and see if it helps you. I tried changing plugs,filters and oil which didn't help.
hope this helps,
Carrie

Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 AM
kevinch417

Thanks Carrie. I'll give it a shot.

I do see similar posts that mostly blame the problems on the Throttle position sensor or the Idle Air Control valve, so if your suggestion does not work, I suppose those are the next to things that I should check out. From what I've gathered, this isn't an immediate car emergency so if I need to buy new parts or get work done, it could wait until payday thankfully.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I had this problem also. I replaced the tps and have not had any problems. When i replaced it i found out that you are suppose to replace other sensors allso

Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM
kevinch417

I came home from work today and noticed fluid under the engine. The dealer was supposed to fix that before I picked up the Durango, so I am going to have a few words with them and hopefully they'll do something about it...I need to pick up a repair manual because I am new to car engines and am not sure what exactly is leaking...I believe it is coming out of the radiator hose, but I have had no problem with the engine temperature?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM
kevinch417

I brought it down to the car dealership to have the throttle body cleaned and the radiator hose clamp tightened (for the leaking coolant), and it worked okay for a couple days, and then while driving up to my old college an hour and a half from home in CT, the rpm started jumping up to 4000 suddenly while trying ti maintain a steady speed of 55-60mph. I basically had to keep accelerating, letting it glide for a while until it slowed down, and then repeat. I wasn't very happy with it but it wasn't stalling on me so I figured I didn't need to rush to check it out.

Yesterday during my usual 10-minute drive home from work, it stalled on my four times at traffic lights. I decided enough was enough and drove down to Advance Auto Parts where I bought a throttle position sensor for $37.21 and replaced it myself. A nice easy fix (you need one of those star-shaped screwdrivers, as well as to disconnect the battery), and a cheap replacement part, and immediately the rpm ran steadily. I drove it twice today and had no problems as of the time I am writing this.

I didn't bother cleaning the TPS that I already had because after reading similar posts, it seemed to only solve the problem for a few weeks tops for most people. I figured I may as well just buy a new one.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:44 PM
lepolean
Default has anyone found the root problem to this accelerating from s

Originally Posted by kevinch417
I have a 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7l and whenever I start to accelerate it moves slightly and then stops before moving properly a second later. I'm not sure if I am describing it correctly but it is almost as if when i start from a stop, it does a false start and kicks into driving after that.

Does anyone know why it would be doing that?
has anyone found out the root problem to this? I noticed in the morning when I start the car (03 Durango 4.7 liter) it starts fine and idles fine as soon as I put it in drive the car jerks a bit as if it tries to take off on its own but then it comes to a complete stop without me applying the brake when I press on the gas it like it stutters (it will move and stop move and stop) and it seems like all the power in the car wants to go off or come close to shutting off(the dashboard light started in the headlights started dim and the engine seems like it wants to shut off)
after I keep giving it gas everything eventually kicks in..... anyone else have this problem and know what I should do?

Last edited by lepolean; 03-01-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:36 PM
DREAD LOCHZ
Default Dido 2004 slt4.7

Do any of y'alls instrument cluster say are where the odometer is by chance? Not my sisters has check engine light on so I had the code ran at O'Reilly's and they said it was I think o two sensor on TV back-end of the exhaust and my sister told me she had that replaced I replace the water pump thermostat spark plugs and something else on it and it still runs like that. But the old fellow at O'Reilly's told me when he ran the codes that the sensor on the exhaust would not cause it to took out like it does and the and if Gage instrument gauge cluster on speedometer he said didn't even show up as throwing a cutter anyting and so they gave me instructions on how to run a diagnostic on it and I did a couple times and it still says error but he said that would have anything to do with it cutting out like that either somebody the other day had mentioned to me that it might be that it overheated and cracked the head or the block.?

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7l hesitates when accelerating from a stop