1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Torque converter issue- Here we go

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been taking my sweet time, the last thing I want to do is take it out again. I just wish I had more sweet time thats all. Oh and my best friend found this video for me figured it was useful.......

Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not bad as there are some this similar. keep in mind that video is for the RH models. Honestly the ATSG manual for the RE was the best $30 i ever spent when rebuilding mine.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:54 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Ok so I finally got the transmission in and tested out. I almost freaked out because I had re-routed the tv cable wrong and it held the gears way to long. Now All the forward gears are flawless. Here's the bad part my reverse slams in so hard when its cold if your foot is on the brake it stalls the motor. But once the tranny warms up some, like after 4-6miles, it engages reverse nice but when you go to move the truck shudders something horrible and it barely moves. You have to put it in reverse and use no throttle to get moving backwards. I'm lost, I pm'd master tech last night and he hasn't gotten back yet but I hope he has an answer. I'm leaning towards a mis-adjusted rear band or something wrong with the rear servo. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by adukart
Ok so I finally got the transmission in and tested out. I almost freaked out because I had re-routed the tv cable wrong and it held the gears way to long. Now All the forward gears are flawless. Here's the bad part my reverse slams in so hard when its cold if your foot is on the brake it stalls the motor. But once the tranny warms up some, like after 4-6miles, it engages reverse nice but when you go to move the truck shudders something horrible and it barely moves. You have to put it in reverse and use no throttle to get moving backwards. I'm lost, I pm'd master tech last night and he hasn't gotten back yet but I hope he has an answer. I'm leaning towards a mis-adjusted rear band or something wrong with the rear servo. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

I can certainly feel you pain, im sorry to hear of the misfortune. Give Master Tech a little time and im sure he well either reply to your PM or chime in here. Personally, i have just got all the "bugs" worked out of my rebuild in July. It ran great for a few weeks and now it started throwing codes for the MAP sensor

I am going to take a wild shot in the dark on this one but, one would think that IF the rear band or servo was not working correctly that you would not have any reverse at all. I would look more into something that may have been overlooked internally when putting back together or something sticking/ not together right in the valve body as a culprit. Valve bodies are very tricky (unless you do them everyday for a long time) to rebuild, thats why i elected to buy a already rebuilt one from shift rite transmissions.

Also, i would check to make sure your gearshift cable is adjusted properly, maybe its not getting in the right spot causing the hard jump into reverse

Last edited by Old_School; 11-11-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

But that's just it. The only time it has a "hard jump into reverse" is when its cold. When that happens reverse works fine. Then after it warms up a little it feels like it engages reverse the right way but shudders and doesn't want to move that well. I'll take a video tomorrow. Its just so odd, its like a spring is wrong..........

Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry, My wife has me doing a lot of honey do's. When you did the overhaul, did you replace the front pump and take the valve body apart and clean all the valves and bores? Also there was a problem with the valve body's when going into reverse, What we found was the check ball in the valve body was a steel ball and one would cause a groove in the valve body plate and two the steel ball would get magnetize and cause the check ball cover a pressure circuit. That's why everyone should do a pressure check in all the pressure ports. You could also have a crack reverse piston or the band is either too loose or tight.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

As soon as I can I'll check the pressures. When I did the rebuild I completely disassembled, cleaned, and installed a shift kit. Everything got cleaned, I didn't want to take any chances on a fresh rebuild. I mean as long as it's all out and disassembled anyways. I also put in this reverse servo http://www.superior-transmission.com...age.cfm?ID=110. There wasn't an issue before the rebuild with reverse so it has to be something I did.......
I used some (huge globs especially on those little metal ones) of trans assembly lube to hold in the check ***** in place. The most amount of miles I've put on it is 6 so far. Could this be an issue? I blocked off the fluid path and haven't gotten it hot enough yet to dissolve the assembly lube? This is the lube I used, figured it would work because that's what the local dealership uses. I'm still gonna to a pressure test though.

Last edited by adukart; 11-12-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:21 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Ok here is the video I promised.

I will check the pressures as soon as I can find a gauge to do it. I'm really getting sick of driving my grand prix ever day lol.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by adukart
Ok here is the video I promised.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcaNeDHOfds

I will check the pressures as soon as I can find a gauge to do it. I'm really getting sick of driving my grand prix ever day lol.

I will mention the tach bobbing around is exactly what my truck did when the MAP sensor was failing.. might not be the issue but worth the mentioning...

Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine occasionally (at random) drops down to under 500rpm when I shift into reverse (doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold) and feels like it might stall, but never actually has. If you give it a bit of gas is catches itself though.

Quick Reply: Torque converter issue- Here we go