1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacement Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my 2 cents, when I bought my clear lens, I noticed much better and even light spread on the low beams. However, this is not good when using High beams. With the OEM's, you get a much better focused light in high beam mode vs the clear lens I have. When in High beam, I cannot luminate anything at a far distance that OEM lens can clearly luminate.

I just bougth some dual bulb HID's for the high/low combo so I can still have my high's. Still waiting to get them installed. hope the high beam side of the HiD will compensate for using clear lens.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^you wasted your money. Big time.

If you want hid only way is a projector. (That guy and myself only ones with FXRs, quite a few others run morimoto minis)

Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, those HIDs are going to be completely **** in those clear housings.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Omega Supreme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Yeah, those HIDs are going to be completely **** in those clear housings.
What about those HID's in crystal lens instead of clear?

I saw this Dakota from a fellow member (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members/41199-user.html) and this is exactly what I want. Fog lights and all.

Attached Thumbnails Replacement Headlights-headlight4_jpg.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Omega Supreme

I saw this Dakota from a fellow member (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members/41199-user.html) and this is exactly what I want. Fog lights and all.

The only thing HIDs an non projector housings do is look bright, and blind everyone in oncoming traffic.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PublicHair
^you wasted your money. Big time.

If you want hid only way is a projector. (That guy and myself only ones with FXRs, quite a few others run morimoto minis)
I did not waste too much money in these HID's (Paid $75 for the kit). I bought them over a year ago. Just did not install them yet as I read later on that the issues users encountered using these HID's in regular housings not intended for them. I bought these hid's back when hid's kits were still relatively new in the market and did not read up enough to find these little issues that can become big issues.

So for the time being, I am still using the regular silverstar halogens.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Omega Supreme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
The only thing HIDs an non projector housings do is look bright, and blind everyone in oncoming traffic.

Ohhhh. . . I don't want to do that. . .So crystal headlights with phillips xtremes seems to be the way to go

Old 01-24-2014, 02:45 PM
AppelH
Captain

I just finished getting my new lights installed, along with the phillips extreme bulb as recommended. The first one was kind of a pain, because I tried taking the wrong torx screw out, the one for adjustment i think. After I figured it out and got the right one out it was easy. The second light took me all of five minutes to get out and the new one in. Will take it out tonight and see how it performs.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:21 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Supreme

That would be even worse. You really should only use hids in projectors meant for them. Halogen projectors are much better than reflectors for them, but you still won't always get a very good beam, especially in those projector headlights they have on ebay which are all ****. HIDs don't seem to be nearly as bad in the oem style fluted housings as they are in the clear ones, but they're still not good. Having them in the fog lights is even worse, you may as well just drive around shining a spot light in peoples eyes, not to mention they won't work as fog lights anymore.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 PM
AppelH
Captain

So I took the durango out once it got dark. I think the aiming needs a little work, as of right now I am not seeing much improvment. I did notice a more defined beam pattern, I just think they are pointing way too high. When I pulled off the highway to turn around, i backed up a little incline and my lights looked more like they should, while the truck was pointing a little downwards if that makes sense. Is there a proper procedure to get them pointed "correctly", or do you just wing it until they are satisfactory?

Quick Reply: Replacement Headlights