1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

The BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Decepticon-Rango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dam bet who ever bought it was happy as hell ya like I said I love the 1 gen over all gens as the saying gos they just don't make em like they used to. I mean im pretty sure every one will agree that our durangos are the meanest and toughest looking outa the 3 the 2 gen I think a blind man in a plastic factory made it I mean realy dodge y did u ruin the D like that. I love how the 1 gens have the wide fenders like the ram an kota that's what drew me to it

Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decepticon-Rango
dam bet who ever bought it was happy as hell ya like I said I love the 1 gen over all gens as the saying gos they just don't make em like they used to. I mean im pretty sure every one will agree that our durangos are the meanest and toughest looking outa the 3 the 2 gen I think a blind man in a plastic factory made it I mean realy dodge y did u ruin the D like that. I love how the 1 gens have the wide fenders like the ram an kota that's what drew me to it
Apparently you have not seen or driven the new durangos. Their build quality is worlds better..

As is my 2012 ram. And my 2012 fusion. However my durango does seem better than my 07 envoy.

Durango was great for its time. But to say the build quality is better is a joke.. And I mean build quality as in materials used. However my newer vehicles are much tighter in terms of screwed together. Much less rattles. Actually, non existent. Can't say the same for the durango.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Decepticon-Rango
Amateur

no ive seen them havnt driven but they look like a normal suv sleek slim I don't like all that that's y I like the 1st gen they got curves and a face not just one big body line I hate new cars they all look the same all computerized so u have to take to some one to fix it half the time I cant stand that. I kno they weren't built the best but nothing is anymore everything is built to break that's how ppl make money on broken shhhiit no break no fix no money but at least its basic theres not a frigen meka computer in the motor ITS A MOTOR!!!!! not a big **** ecu with pistons.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 PM
PublicHair
Banned

You seem to lack the basics of economics. Due to inflation, companies (like dealers) need to seek ways to make more money so they can keep the lights on. Vehicles these days are built to better standards and higher quality. So while you think it sucks that there is so much "computer" work going on - the fact is people want features. And computers = features. They also what allow a better built motor to produce more power, less emissions and last longer.

Clearly you have the wrong impression..
You can still perform the basic services in your garage. So I'm not sure why you're so worried about newer vehicles.. not much has changed other than how your seats move and how your headlights work..

So I suggest you either take the bus, or sell your durango and buy something MUCH older because fact is that your durango is loaded with computers and wire nightmares.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 PM
AppelH
Captain

I hope your right about higher build quality. All I know is tht the current generations of rigs could be an electrical nightmare in ten years if they are not built well.

One of my part time jobs is valet in a local resort, and I drive a lot of brand new cars. I had driven my moms 2012 ram, but these cars just hum with a million electrical features that put the ram to shame. Automatic everything, seats and steering wheels that adjust depending on what key fob you have, etc. When I first drove one of the new Mercedes, I didn't even know how to put the damn thing in gear. The gear selector looked like a blinker switch. Click it down to put it in drive, up for reverse, and push a button for park. They were all push bottom start, no key. Now IF the build quility is top notch, then fine. And most of these cars where high end foreign cars, so comparing domestics might be a stretch. I just don't think most of things are going to be serviceable by the backyard mechanic that is used to fixing their own rigs. It just won't be possible without a whole lot of expensive equipment.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

while i agree that i prefer the older cars, there is so mething to be said about driving a new car. The first gen durangos will have rattles in them compared to a new car, they are anywhere from 11 + years old, parts start to wear, and when they wear they rattle, you can do one of a few things, fix every thing that rattles (very possible), turn up the radio and ignore it (as long as its not a major issue), sell it and buy a new car which doesnt have any rattles (for now, as that wears it too will develop rattles).

as far as build quality, i dont think it was as bad in the days of the first gens as you some of you seem to think, this coming from experience, it is definitely no worse now, I know that when i buy a new vehicle i expect it to be trouble free, it is one of the few reasons to buy a new vehicle (its certainly not a wise financial choice, but it is a convenient one)

Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

After having been around well over 100 3rd gens at work the fit and finish is much better and the ride quality is amazing. Very little interior noise and effortless operation. Also these new chrysler uconnect radios are awesome. Like I said if I didn't have to go to off-road I'd take a new one (if I could afford one). Maybe someone will come in with a lift kit for them.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 PM
PublicHair
Banned

Originally Posted by AppelH
I hope your right about higher build quality. All I know is tht the current generations of rigs could be an electrical nightmare in ten years if they are not built well.

One of my part time jobs is valet in a local resort, and I drive a lot of brand new cars. I had driven my moms 2012 ram, but these cars just hum with a million electrical features that put the ram to shame. Automatic everything, seats and steering wheels that adjust depending on what key fob you have, etc. When I first drove one of the new Mercedes, I didn't even know how to put the damn thing in gear. The gear selector looked like a blinker switch. Click it down to put it in drive, up for reverse, and push a button for park. They were all push bottom start, no key. Now IF the build quility is top notch, then fine. And most of these cars where high end foreign cars, so comparing domestics might be a stretch. I just don't think most of things are going to be serviceable by the backyard mechanic that is used to fixing their own rigs. It just won't be possible without a whole lot of expensive equipment.

People said the same thing you said 10 years before the durango even came out. And in their eyes, you’re a fool for buying a 2000 durango...

Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 PM
AppelH
Captain

Tis true I suppose. I tell myself that the durango has everything I need as far as creature comforts go. Those fancy cars didnt have anything I couldn't live without. Of course, the power of a 6.2 liter in a little two door Mercedes AMG sure would be nice lol

Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 PM
dxloat
Veteran

My brother in law just took delivery on a new Durango Citadel with the hemi and paddle shifting, all I can say is wow. I love my D, but that thing is amazing. While I don't consider it to have a better looking exterior the interior is many times more luxurious and it drives like a dream. But it will set you back almost $45,000.

Quick Reply: The BS Thread