1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission vibrations all times

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:02 PM
thepeshmode
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission vibrations all times

This just recently gradually happened during the past few weeks. I have vibrations at cold start, engine warm up, in park, neutral and all gears. less noticeable at freeway cruising speed unless I have to accelerate to pass truckers and everyone else. Plus the vibrations are there when I do normal acceleration going thru the gears and down shifting . I switch the transfer case to neutral and the vibrations were still there.

I've taking the Durango into to a major shop to check the ignition timing and after 12 years it was still spot on and spark plugs torque check o.k. . Have new plugs, ignition coil, wiring, distributor cap and rotor. Clean air filter and cleaned the throttle body and valves. Battery connections are solid.

Since I still have no problems with transmission power output in any situation, I am leaning to the torque converter or the shaft that may come out of the engine block to the transmission. May be both?

Other than this, I love the D! Don't want to retire it for something less "trail rated".

Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the transmission mounts been checked?

Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM
dodgister
Rookie

You said you have taken it to a major shop and what did they say? What if you take it to an official Dodge dealer where they have service and maintenance people looking at it?

Old 05-03-2014, 02:41 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it vibrate at idle as well, in Drive (not moving)?

Does it vibrate at all when in Park or N (not moving)?

My Envoy does the same. It vibrates pretty bad when first started/cold and in Drive. Once I give it gas however, it goes away. And once it warms up, it goes away. The cause is worn motor mounts (a common issue with the V6 GMC Envoy).

Hope this helps!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM
thepeshmode
Amateur

it vibrates in every condition. Cold start up, little at warm idle. Up shifting in Drive. it smooths out when it shifts into next gear then will vibrate again at higher RPMs. Steadies out in 4th gear. I feel it in Reverse also. The other day, I disengaged the transfer case and vibrations where still there. Transmission still has smooth shifting. Shifting from Park into reverse or drive I don't feel the engine or transmission jerking from shifting. I really don't trust the dealer mechanics. last few times they misdiagnosed engine and brake issues.

I been taking the Durango to Meinike for services when needed. I trust these guys more than the dealership.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
Have the transmission mounts been checked?
+1 Sounds like a mount.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 PM
thepeshmode
Amateur

I'll check on that and the engine mounts. Thanks!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:41 PM
arcsja

Hey Guys,

Sorry to thread jack here, but I've been all through these forums for the past couple of days and i cant seem to find my specific problem/solution. I have a 99 Durango SLT, 5.2 with about 116K on it, in the past 2 weeks i started to feel a vibration at the top end of second gear right before it shifts to third(about 29-33mph). I feel it more when once the trans is warm. It doesn't matter if I'm accelerating hard, or feathering it... same noise/feeling... I will say that with the A/C running, its worse.. and with it in 4Hi, its gone... All fluids at right levels, including TC, and fluid and filter were replaced as well as bands adjusted about 10k ago and trans is solid at every other gear, shift and speed .

Any help would be awesome, I cant seem to figure this one out and with you guys on this forum, I've been able to do all sorts of work on my D and saved a ton of money..

Anyway, hope someone could shed some light

Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I know this going to be off the wall. How is the fan belt tensioner? Because if it frozen, it may cause some vibration problems. I would also do some basic checks like the driveshaft bolts and the rear pinion nut at the rear differential.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 AM
arcsja

Originally Posted by master tech
I know this going to be off the wall. How is the fan belt tensioner? Because if it frozen, it may cause some vibration problems. I would also do some basic checks like the driveshaft bolts and the rear pinion nut at the rear differential.

Thanks for the reply Master Tech, from everything I've read on here, you're the transmission expert.... The tensioner pulley is fine, and you're right I never would have thought to look there... it has a good spring action back to position. guess I'm going to have to really get under it tomorrow. What would be the signs of wear on the rear pinion nut?

Quick Reply: Transmission vibrations all times