1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7L: How hard is it to change valve seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Rob94hawk
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7L: How hard is it to change valve seats?

Going to tackle this oil leak. I have a compressor & my mechanic is going to lend me the adapter to keep the valves from dropping into the engine. He also gave me the part number to compress the spring:

https://www.wiseautotools.com/3747-1...SABEgIlVvD_BwE

What other special tools should I need and are the rockers easy to remove?

I'm a little concerned about getting toward the back of the engine. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 PM
deanbw
Amateur

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Going to tackle this oil leak. I have a compressor & my mechanic is going to lend me the adapter to keep the valves from dropping into the engine. He also gave me the part number to compress the spring:

https://www.wiseautotools.com/3747-1...SABEgIlVvD_BwE

What other special tools should I need and are the rockers easy to remove?

I'm a little concerned about getting toward the back of the engine. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
I'm guessing you mean seals, not hard if you have any mechanical aptitude. make sure the piston is up of course on each cylinder you're working on, no special tools other than spring compressor needed.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Rob94hawk
Amateur

Originally Posted by deanbw
I'm guessing you mean seals, not hard if you have any mechanical aptitude. make sure the piston is up of course on each cylinder you're working on, no special tools other than spring compressor needed.
The cam can stay on correct?

What's the best way to determine that the piston is close to TDC on a 4.7L?

Last edited by Rob94hawk; 11-11-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 PM
deanbw
Amateur

The cam can stay on correct?

What's the best way to determine that the piston is close to TDC on a 4.7L?
Everything can stay together except you need to take valve covers off, pull spark plugs. Put a wrench on crankshaft so you can turn engine by hand. Pick a cylinder, watch the valves while turning engine over with wrench. Turn engine, watch the exhaust valve close, the intake valve will then start opening....keep going until the intake valve closes, at this point turn engine about half a turn further. This will put the piston close to being up and both valves closed, put the air adapter in and turn on the air, you should now be able to remove springs and change seals.....have fun.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Rob94hawk
Amateur

Everything can stay together except you need to take valve covers off, pull spark plugs. Put a wrench on crankshaft so you can turn engine by hand. Pick a cylinder, watch the valves while turning engine over with wrench. Turn engine, watch the exhaust valve close, the intake valve will then start opening....keep going until the intake valve closes, at this point turn engine about half a turn further. This will put the piston close to being up and both valves closed, put the air adapter in and turn on the air, you should now be able to remove springs and change seals.....have fun.
Yeah about the valve covers coming off, I've been reading that's that hardest part of the project itself. Can't wait...

Old 11-13-2018, 03:16 AM
deanbw
Amateur

Yeah about the valve covers coming off, I've been reading that's that hardest part of the project itself. Can't wait...
It's all just nuts and bolts.......first time for everything,.......you never know until you try.......any of these workin for ya?
Really, it's not that tough, this is a pretty simple job, few hours you'll be done and happy

Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 AM
Rob94hawk
Amateur

It's all just nuts and bolts.......first time for everything,.......you never know until you try.......any of these workin for ya?
Really, it's not that tough, this is a pretty simple job, few hours you'll be done and happy
Oh yeah I know. Just recently did the heater core. Ordering the tool & valve stem seals. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Rob94hawk
Amateur

Miller tool hasn't arrived yet so the question I have is, Mopar valve stem seals, Felpro, or what brand to avoid?

Old 11-16-2018, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Mopar or Fel-Pro would be good.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:40 AM
Rob94hawk
Amateur

What's the adapter to thread into the spark plug hold for my compressor to keep the valves seated? Just in case I don't get the piston all the way up I want backup.

Is this the right one?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-19700/overview/

Does it matter if I have a small compressor? Do I need a specific PSI?

Also, can I use the cam bolt to turn over the engine & find TDC?

Thanks

Last edited by Rob94hawk; 11-28-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.7L: How hard is it to change valve seats?