1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Hi, I am new and got questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:25 PM
chrisl0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, I am new and got questions.

Hi, in another year and half we are moving to Pennsylvania and we need another vehicle to handle more cargo and something with AWD and stability control and those other features to handle the snow and slippery conditions. Right now we have it narrowed down to three SUV'S the Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer, and the Honda Pilot. We like the Dodge Durango for it added power this is why we are still considering it plus it has the room and features we want. We never considered the Ford Explorer until now since before the redesign we though the SUV lacked the comfort and features we wanted. Now it looks very nice (quiet, fairly powerful, feature packed and roomy) but Ford seems to be in trouble with it's sales and we don't want to go down with the ship but as it is now we see more Explorers on the street than the Honda Pilot and Dodge Durango so we fell that we should still consider it. We also consider the Honda Pilot for many reasons. Though it lacks horsepower compared to the Explorer and Durango it has much to offer. We have a 94' Accord and the car is extremely reliable and looks nearly new after 12 years of living in the city. So since it is so reliable, has the features we want and finally since we owned a Honda product before we feel that we can trust it the most. But on the other hand where we are moving their are more American car's so we feel that it might become to expensive to maintain. So as it is now our decision is still in the air and we can sway either way. Depending on what we pick we plan on getting the top of the line trim with most of the options (GPS, Rear seat DVD, Auto Temp controls, Power Sunroof, Leather Seats possibly heated, Power Seats/Pedals, side steps, Homelink and Rubber Floor Mats). As far as I can see all of these SUV'S have these options. So I have a few specific questions about this SUV. I notice that when I look at the AWD option is says 4WD, and I know their is a difference; the "4WD" system in this SUV is this a automatic system, or is this something I will have to switch on, or if this is something I have to switch on can I leave it on all the time? Another thing that worries me is if this SUV has a power lift gate? For example when I have to load/unload things will I be able to hit a button on the beeper to pop the hatch open or at least something that will unlock it? Does this SUV come with Auto Dim mirrors? Finally do you find this SUV to be reliable and fairly cheap to maintain (taking it to somebody to maintain)? Please tell it to me as it is don't embellish the truth. Thanks for you help and sorry that I wrote so much just that I wanted to make it as detailed as possible.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 PM
HEMInoGAS
Default RE: Hi, I am new and got questions.

We are thrilled with ours,tested everything else with a third seat and 4wd. If you need the third seat the durango is roomier than the ford. I think the durango is about the only one that comes with factory sunroof and dvd.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
chrisl0

Well thanks for the information. I think that we are going to go with the Honda Pilot. I have put post on your website, the Ford Explorer, and Honda Pilot website. One guy gave me a review on reliability for the 2006 models and the Pilot is the best. Yes it doesn't come with both a DVD player and Nav system only one or the other. But they said to get the one with a Nav system and the dealer can install a DVD player into it. They showed me pictures looks nice. Plus anyway I have a Honda Accord now and it looks brand new after 12 years so we can also trust Honda. We never owned a Ford or Dodge product, but we were about to get a 300 AWD but we needed something higher off the ground and with more room. But anyway thanks allot for the information I really appreciate it. Happy driving

Old 01-17-2006, 12:05 AM
redram1
Rookie

but can u pull with the suv and have u ever heard the saying buy american and americans work and yes i know it is made in mexico

Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 AM
redram1
Rookie

i just cant understand y someone would buy japan over american i love dodge and will never go to jap cars

Old 01-17-2006, 02:27 AM
chrisl0

Wow, I nearly forgot about this forum. I wrote on it so long ago. Anyway in response in why we buy Jap over American is that we had a Chevy long, long ago like 25 years ago and this thing was a piece of crap. It broke down constantly (i.e. the ignition went nearly half a dozen times in our 8 years of owning it) and lacked in allot of areas. Anyway we bought a Honda Accord 12 years ago and it’s been our best car yet. The only problem is it lacks some power (This is a 94' before they had the V-6) and room. But the car after living in the city for 12 years it looks great; it looks extremely good for a car with 75k on it. Now getting back to buying American, I kind of own a American car considering this car was built in Ohio and it was also designed in this country. We plan on buying two vehicles from Honda, the Pilot and Ridgeline. Both which were designed in this country. I was reading a article on the Ridgeline when it was picked for Truck of the year and they said it was also designed in Ohio. We also looked at American cars but we noticed they lacked many features that a normal Jap car would have. For example we noticed that most American cars came with fixed antennas. This is no good, our first two cars had this and people would break them off and when we went to the car wash they would get mangled. But our Accord comes with a power antenna. When the radio is on the antenna goes up, when the radio is off the antenna goes down. Don't tell me how unreliable power antennas are either because we had the same power antenna for the past 12 years and used it in all conditions from temperatures ranging from over 100F-10 below zero. Not to mention we used it in all types of weather. Companies like Honda even did one better in the area of Antenna's recently, instead of the power antenna they added integrated window antennas or antennas integrated into the body. So it makes the car or suv slightly cheaper but without putting a cheap fixed antenna. So now it’s cheaper and simpler with the same convenience of a power antenna. The other big thing we noticed is that the Jap cars had locking fuel doors while most American cars have those cheap fuel doors with the lip. I personally hate that, it gives it a less flowing look and I like the security and convenience of being able to open the fuel door from the driver seat. Also that is another feature that never failed us. We were able to open it in all temperatures (from well above 100 to well below 0 F). Also we don't forget to open it when we gas the car because we owned it for 12 years. Also lack of more advanced features on American cars turn me off. I know more models come with things like Navigation Systems, Auto Climate Controls, Rain sensing wipers, voice activated features, etc. You might also say the more features the more could go wrong? But I disagree, because if the features are well built they will last forever. But on many lower models like models in the 20-30k range they are not available. Cars like the Mazda 3 (Owned by Ford) and Honda Civic you can get fully loaded for 25K and comes with all these features. I look back to the Ford Tarus and I say back 10-14 years ago it was a great car. Lots of Horsepower and the features that I came to expect. But then all the American car makers had to go and cost cutting and cut out these features. I say if they cut down on these superficial features imagine what they cut back on that you can't see with the naked eye. But I feel they are on their way back up, quality is improving. But until serious changes are made we will never buy a American car again. I don't understand what’s so hard for American car companies. Just look to the Accord (one of the most successful cars out their), make a copy of that car feature to feature and make a American version of it. Don't go and say "No this will raise the price, so let’s put something cheaper in its place". Honda is known for having extremely reliable vehicles. That's why they say "It's a Honda". Finally to make a specific comment about Dodge, Dodge is owned by Chrysler right? Do you know who Chrysler is owned by? A German company. So really you are buying a German vehicle which are know for their extremely high prices and lack of reliability. I really got nothing against American car companies its just that I feel they are cheating their customers by cost cutting and making cheaper less feature packed vehicles. The only advantage American cars have is that they are cheaper to fix. But I rather pay more for maintaining our Jap car considering the only four things that ever broke on the car was the A/C, ABS, one of the power locks and the rims got bent (due to all the pot holes where we live). But nothing ever went with the engine or transmission. Our car is just doing so well that we are going to even keep it once we live in our new home.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM
chrisl0

ORIGINAL: redram1

but can u pull with the suv and have u ever heard the saying buy american and americans work and yes i know it is made in mexico
What am I going to pull? I go no trailers, boats, or anything else that can be attached to a trailer hitch. So I don't need it for that purpose.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: HEMInoGAS

We are thrilled with ours,tested everything else with a third seat and 4wd. If you need the third seat the durango is roomier than the ford. I think the durango is about the only one that comes with factory sunroof and dvd.

I never seen a Durango with a Factory Sunroof! At least it is not an option for the 98-2000 models because of the overhead A/C and if you have the extra overhead compartments for sunglasses and Garage door opener, I don't see how a sunroof can be fitted. 2001-2003 may be possible as they relocated the overhead A/C.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Dr.Dodge
Professional

Chris,

First let me say congratulations on choosing a vehicle that suits your needs best. I had concidered the Pilot as well until I found out it's towing capacity. I need the ability to pull a 5500 LB camping trailer so that dismissed it handily.

Since I have been a technician for Honda as well as as domestic marques, I can honestly say that the Honda was significantly more reliable. However, I also found that Toyota was at least that much again more reliable over Honda. while I worked for Toyota, we used to keep ourselves busy in the garage by playing floor hockey. We felt like the Maytag repairman. Nothing broke. Ever. And believe me, we tried to break some trade ins, but couldn't.

So, if reliability is your prime concern (even though you are comparing a 25 year old domestic to a 12 year old foreign car) then you will be well served by Honda. I am curious though that the reliability problems you cite (A/C, ABS, etc) are the most expensive systems to repair on a vehicle of that vintage, why you would find this 'acceptable'? What is the cost of the timing belt replacement for the Accord with the dual timing belts for the balance shaft in that 12 year old Honda 2.2? I can do a lot of 'small' repairs for that bill.

I also think that you put maybe too much weight on a small item such as an antenna into your decision. Would you really choose one car over another based upon the antenna style? Kind of reminds me of someone choosing the 'red car' over the 'grey car' because it is better designed. Hmmm.

OK, enough with the ranting. Again, I am glad you can meet your needs. I just really enjoy my Durango with it's AWD, 6 speed auto and HEMI. I just got back from a NY-NC-NY trip yesterday and it was so much fun having the cruise control set at 80 MPH and a light touch of the pedal raising the speed to 110-120 to blast past the slow traffic on I-81. By the way, the tach sits at 2000 RPM at 80 MPH, resulting in 21 MPG. Not fabulous, but plenty good for a 5000+ vehicle fully loaded with 5 people and all their gear for a week. Mainly I have found that small displacement vehicles will give you good mileage on the highway unless you push them very hard. My 2003 VW Jetta 2.0L gets only 24 MPG at 80 MPH. So in this regard the Durango mileage is the more impressive.

As for Chrysler being owned by Daimler, you couldn't be further from the truth. They are a partner. Everytime I hear this it reminds me of people who say "Didn't Microsoft buy Apple a couple years ago?" No. They made a $100 million investment in a $5 billion company. Hardly a 'buyout'.

Anyway, enjoy your Honda. I hope it brings you as much pleasure as my Durango brings me.

Jeff

Old 02-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, enough with the ranting. Again, I am glad you can meet your needs. I just really enjoy my Durango with it's AWD, 6 speed auto and HEMI. I just got back from a NY-NC-NY trip yesterday and it was so much fun having the cruise control set at 80 MPH and a light touch of the pedal raising the speed to 110-120 to blast past the slow traffic on I-81. By the way, the tach sits at 2000 RPM at 80 MPH, resulting in 21 MPG. Not fabulous, but plenty good for a 5000+ vehicle fully loaded with 5 people and all their gear for a week. Mainly I have found that small displacement vehicles will give you good mileage on the highway unless you push them very hard. My 2003 VW Jetta 2.0L gets only 24 MPG at 80 MPH. So in this regard the Durango mileage is the more impressive.
You claim you got 21 on the highway with a hemi? Does your hemi have MDS? That is amazing! Are you driving in flat country?

Quick Reply: Hi, I am new and got questions.