1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Valve cover gaskets - 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Valve cover gaskets - 4.7L

Doubt if the valve covers have ever been done on this truck.

With 300K on it, I'm losing a small bit of oil out of both sides, so I figured I'd go ahead and do them. Once those are done, I doubt I'll lose any oil between changes, as I add very little right now and the underside would be cleaner. Already got a set of Felpro gaskets and a cheap fuel line disconnect from Harbor freight. Looks tedious with the amount of stuff in the way, especially driver's side. Just replaced valve covers on a 4 cylinder Sonata this weekend and it was super simple. Only used 2 dabs of RTV where the timing cover met the head, other than that it went on dry. Pretty sure it won't be as much fun on the Dak.

Any gotchas you guys wanna share?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-07-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:30 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Doubt if the valve covers have ever been done on this truck.

With 300K on it, I'm losing a small bit of oil out of both sides, so I figured I'd go ahead and do them. Once those are done, I doubt I'll lose any oil between changes, as I add very little right now and the underside would be cleaner. Already got a set of Felpro gaskets and a cheap fuel line disconnect from Harbor freight. Looks tedious with the amount of stuff in the way, especially driver's side. Just replaced valve covers on a 4 cylinder Sonata this weekend and it was super simple. Only used 2 dabs of RTV where the timing cover met the head, other than that it went on dry. Pretty sure it won't be as much fun on the Dak.

Any gotchas you guys wanna share?
Only thing I really fought was the brake booster and the wiring looms on both sides....mine's still not back together..just got the drivers side head on need to finish torquing it down hopefully tomorrow...the other thing that sticks out in my mind is the wiring has standoffs that connect to the valve cover bolts..may have to snip the zip ties that hold the bundle of wires to the holders....If I think of anything else I'll let you know

Old 04-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Thanks. I was having a look at the wire looms yesterday and thinking to myself, this things gonna be more of a pain in the *** than I thought. Are you using any RTV?

Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 AM
sporta
Veteran

Thanks. I was having a look at the wire looms yesterday and thinking to myself, this things gonna be more of a pain in the *** than I thought. Are you using any RTV?
There are 2 little "dots" in the valve cover that helps line up the gasket. I put a little RTV there to hold the gasket in place. Otherwise, not using any RTV on it.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by sporta
There are 2 little "dots" in the valve cover that helps line up the gasket. I put a little RTV there to hold the gasket in place. Otherwise, not using any RTV on it.
If there is anywhere you see the timing cover join the head surface, you should probably use a dot on the crack there.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-08-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:25 AM
sporta
Veteran

If there is anywhere you see the timing cover join the head surface, you should probably use a dot on the crack there.
Just to clarify (coffee hasn't even begun to kick in lol) you're talking about the timing cover to head joint, correct? Won't the timing gasket seal up correctly on the 4.7's or is the RTV just a good practice to use due to the metal of the block and aluminum of the heads/cover? Kinda like a belt and suspenders?

Timing cover gasket from the kit I picked up

Thanks,

Steve

Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by sporta
Just to clarify (coffee hasn't even begun to kick in lol) you're talking about the timing cover to head joint, correct? Won't the timing gasket seal up correctly on the 4.7's or is the RTV just a good practice to use due to the metal of the block and aluminum of the heads/cover? Kinda like a belt and suspenders?
Yeah, I just had cup 2 myself. The first one is just a primer...LOL.

So yeah, keep in mind that I haven't pulled off the valve covers yet, so I'm just speculating here. I'm talking about anywhere there is a join along the head surface where the valve cover gasket lays. The pic below is not a 4.7L, but just an example, pointed out by the arrows. You can already see some red RTV which would be placed along each crack.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-08-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:31 AM
sporta
Veteran

Yeah, I just had cup 2 myself. The first one is just a primer...LOL.

So yeah, keep in mind that I haven't pulled off the valve covers yet, so I'm just speculating here. I'm talking about anywhere there is a join along the head surface where the valve cover gasket lays. The pic below is not a 4.7L, but just an example, pointed out by the arrows. You can already see some red RTV which would be placed along each crack.

LOL, I know the coffee is just barely starting to kick in...I was all set to go outside and check the heads when I remebered I had a good picture of the head minus the valve cover (and cam :P) please excuse the mess of the work table:

Driver side head before cam

Drivers side head after cam, ready to install...even had my hand written notes for torque sequence :P

So to sum up the valve covers won't intersect with anything but the head All I can say is I'm sure glad the Death Wish Coffee is strong and beginning to kick in

Old 04-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Nice! One less thing to worry about. Looks like you're doing some major work. Did your HG take a dump?

While doing the Hyundai valve cover on Sat., I had an image of the bolt sequence on my phone. Damn phone kept locking on me with messy & gloved hands. It had a weird sequence too, one I wouldn't have followed if I was to guess and use typical criss-cross pattern. I'll see if can find the sequence for the 4.7 and print it out.

Thx

Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM
sporta
Veteran

Actually the HG was fine....Cylinder #2 dropped a valve seat...no rhyme or reason to it...got up on Saturday morning, drove about 5 miles to Costco for fuel, drove another 3 miles to the chiropractor, came out 20 minutes or so later and poof....valve seat gone...and the rocker arm was also off and in the head just chilling....

the dreaded dropped valve seat....
Thankfully the piston just had "minor" markings from contact...

I tell you this project has me more worried than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs...This is probably the biggest repair I have attempted on my own...previous engine rebuilds (way back in the 80's on Ford and Chevy truck motors) was always done with my uncle, dad and or grandfather...but with all the help I'm getting on this board...I'm doing it

Quick Reply: Valve cover gaskets - 4.7L