New Durango, new questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
Yep, it's got me and my buddy curious as to just how bad it is. I will be posting pictures. Oh almost forgot....here is #4 spark plug:

Yep, that one had a BAD experience. Probably thumped by chunks of piston flying around.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:41 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Why is number 6 piston oriented differently from all the rest?
As a bonus, pistons in #3 and #5 are also oriented differently.... #3 is twisted clockwise and #5 counter clockwise...This poor motor was badly abused...the odometer, believe it or not shows someplace in the neighborhood of 98k....

Old 05-07-2019, 09:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably chunks of the missing piston interfered with various other things.

I do believe it is 'new motor' time.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:14 AM
sporta
Veteran

Probably chunks of the missing piston interfered with various other things.

I do believe it is 'new motor' time.
Started the process of pulling the donor motor late yesterday afternoon. Still waiting on a couple parts to come in for the rebuild...will keep ya all posted.

Steve

Old 05-07-2019, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Rebuild? There is going to be some serious carnage in there....... several bad rods, possibly bad crank, and who knows what damage to the block...... Tear it down before you open up any of the new parts..... see what ya got.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 AM
sporta
Veteran

Rebuild? There is going to be some serious carnage in there....... several bad rods, possibly bad crank, and who knows what damage to the block...... Tear it down before you open up any of the new parts..... see what ya got.
Sorry what I posted above didn't come out right. I have a separate 2000 Durango 2wd that is a donor vehicle with a 5.9l engine that will go in this 2000 4wd Durango. The 2wd was a freebie (kid in CA had it with a bad tranny, he took it apart to rebuild, found out it was way out of his league, put all the pieces in the back end, and before he could do anything with it was told to get rid if it by his parents) that I got for the rims and tires for my 2000 4.7 4wd Durango...yes, that is correct, I currently have 4 1st gen Duango's. I swear, the 2001 Durango (4.7l 4wd) was like a gateway drug. I will get a picture of the flock later today lol.

Hello my name is Steve and I have a Durango problem lol

Old 05-07-2019, 02:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sorry what I posted above didn't come out right. I have a separate 2000 Durango 2wd that is a donor vehicle with a 5.9l engine that will go in this 2000 4wd Durango. The 2wd was a freebie (kid in CA had it with a bad tranny, he took it apart to rebuild, found out it was way out of his league, put all the pieces in the back end, and before he could do anything with it was told to get rid if it by his parents) that I got for the rims and tires for my 2000 4.7 4wd Durango...yes, that is correct, I currently have 4 1st gen Duango's. I swear, the 2001 Durango (4.7l 4wd) was like a gateway drug. I will get a picture of the flock later today lol.

Hello my name is Steve and I have a Durango problem lol
Ah, I see. So, what is the engine that is in there, and what are you planning on putting in it's place? (just for those of us (me) that are slow. )

Old 05-07-2019, 03:39 PM
sporta
Veteran

Ah, I see. So, what is the engine that is in there, and what are you planning on putting in it's place? (just for those of us (me) that are slow. )
The engine in the 2000 is a 5.9l, The 2wd 2000 has a 5.9l in it...since the kid is going to take this Durango to Colorado in late June, we are going to pull the 2wd drive engine down and go through it to make it as bullet proof as possible...as to the boat anchor in the 4wd, I'm going to dissect it and see what the damage is. I'll put a new post up with the autopsy results

Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The engine in the 2000 is a 5.9l, The 2wd 2000 has a 5.9l in it...since the kid is going to take this Durango to Colorado in late June, we are going to pull the 2wd drive engine down and go through it to make it as bullet proof as possible...as to the boat anchor in the 4wd, I'm going to dissect it and see what the damage is. I'll put a new post up with the autopsy results
We want pics.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 PM
sporta
Veteran

We want pics.
Finally got around to removing the intake manifold on the donor 5.9l engine...

Thermostat in the intake manifold of the donor engine

The pile of rust on the intake manifold is what came of the TOP of the thermostat

This is why I wanted to go through this engine before swapping it in...Now I'm thinking that I'm going to have to have the block boiled out or something to get the rust cleaned out.

Also, here is a quick pic of the "fleet" of Durango's I have

Closest Durango is the '00 one for my son...the middle one is the 4.7l '01 (wife's) and the far one is the 2wd donor for the '00

My baby, Demon Red...This is the one I just finished rebuilding the top end of the 4.7 ...We call her the demon because she did try and squish me and the license begins with 666

Quick Reply: New Durango, new questions