1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango front axle nut question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2000 Durango front axle nut question.

Hey all, I'm back to working on my Red '00 Durango and I'm having an issue with the front axle nut. The damn thing will not come loose. I've tried repeated soaking in PB Blaster, using an air impact wrench and a steel bar and 4' cheater bar and socket wrench. Just to make sure, this damn right front axle nut isn't a left handed thread is it? Kinda scared to take a torch to it due to grease and extreme fire danger.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

They tend to 'become one' with the axles..... You need a pretty powerful impact to zip them fellers off. Either that, or put the brakes back together, have someone STAND on the brakes, and use a LONG breaker bar......

The following users liked this post:
sporta (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:01 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

First option, either get a bigger impact gun that will take it off.

Second option, knock the center cap out of the wheel and put it back on, put the front end on the ground. Put it in park, set the parking brake, block the wheels, etc. Get a socket on there and an extension (1/2" drive minimum) that you support the end of with a jackstand or something solid (to keep it from just pushing the socket down and off the wheel). Now put the biggest breaker bar you have on there and a jack handle over that or something, and give it hell.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (08-28-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 07:09 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

option 3 is one of these guys
Amazon Amazon

im sure they make bigger ones, but we use these (on a larger scale) on equipment at work regularly (especially for breakdown after the equipment has been in service for many many years)

Old 08-29-2019, 07:52 AM
that_guy
Champion

How have I never seen one of those before?

Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
I've tried repeated soaking in PB Blaster, using an air impact wrench and a steel bar and 4' cheater bar and socket wrench.
Jack it up high, then place the cheater bar handle on the ground. You can then slowly lower the vehicle and let it's weight do the work. Be careful nothing flies at you. You might want to jack from front center, that way you're out of the way while it lowers.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:09 AM
that_guy
Champion

only if you can keep the axle from turning with the brake or something.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
only if you can keep the axle from turning with the brake or something.
True. Someone sitting in the drivers seat with foot on brake. It can be running.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:58 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
True. Someone sitting in the drivers seat with foot on brake. It can be running.
That's one of the problems, it's not running.

Have help with me today so we going to tackle it and see what we can get done.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 584 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
Hey all, I'm back to working on my Red '00 Durango and I'm having an issue with the front axle nut. The damn thing will not come loose. I've tried repeated soaking in PB Blaster, using an air impact wrench and a steel bar and 4' cheater bar and socket wrench. Just to make sure, this damn right front axle nut isn't a left handed thread is it? Kinda scared to take a torch to it due to grease and extreme fire danger.

Get yourself about a 3 or 4 foot crow bar. Lower the vehicle to where the bar will be on the ground and slide it between two of the studs. Rotate it until it won't turn for being caught on the ground. Now get a 1/2 inch drive ratchet or breaker bar and a cheater pipe. I've got a 6 foot section of old drive shaft with the yokes cut off I use. Get everything nice and tight then honk down on the cheater pipe and it will break loose. just be ready for it so you don't slam your face into the ground. I've had lug nuts on trucks so tight it took the 6 foot pipe and 2, 250 pound men bouncing on it to break them loose. yours shouldn't be that tight. Just make sure you're LOOSENING the nut, not tightening it.

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango front axle nut question.