1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 10:09 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

The first pic is the bottom half of the shroud. The 2nd pic is the top half of the shroud, which happens to be a combo shroud, washer fluid and coolant overflow reservoir. Basically the top half's "feet" slots into the bottom half, but you can't plainly see that due to the damage.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-20-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:27 PM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. So once I get the fan and clutch back on, sounds like I’m at full stop until I get that bottom half - mine looks damaged behind use and I assume that bottom shield goes on as you install the radiator and not afterward. Pretty sure my top half is good.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:42 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

I think the bottom half can be removed without removing the radiator but it's been a long time, so I'm not 100% certain. Fill coolant overflow and washer fluid tanks with water and leave it standing to see if any leaks.

The following users liked this post:
bbddpp (05-25-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 11:03 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

Awesome advice on the water. Also found a great video on the radiator replacement showing the bottom half. Sure looks like I want to get it down in there before I put the new rad in but that's cool - I will start the search for the part. I see where it goes now and how it's tricky to bolt down and work the fan wire around. Honestly I think that will be the hardest part of all this, is having the right screws and access / tools to tighten the stuff I need to tighten up. The videos and help here have been great to get me to the point where I think I can get the mechanical stuff hooked back up and running. It sounds stupid to you guys I'm sure but it would be neat to see this thing running again after what happened to do and to know I fixed it.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:31 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 594 Likes on 539 Posts

Save as much hardware as possible. Those screws often perform a specific function. They are usually really hard to source aftermarket. I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of specialty screws and often they will solve a problem quick.

bbddpp (05-25-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 06:39 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Beware of "cheapest available" version of parts. They often bite you in the AZZ. I'm on a road trip in my 278k mile '01 Durango, in Tennessee on my way to Georgia from Chicago-ish. I NEVER buy "cheapest available" if I have a choice. Ever. Unless I'm in a "backed in a corner" situation and can't wait for the good stuff. I've been buying parts from the junkyard that I would never have in past years. I seem to have as good of luck with used original parts as new cheap Chinese crap. I am a fleet mechanic by trade, and maintain my own vehicle as well or better than the guidance for maintenance of the state cop cars I work on daily. Overkill? Maybe. But I'm also allergic to payments. Pulling a trailer, currently in Tennessee, stopped to eat, the old 360 is purring right along. I don't get that sort of dependability by fixing the minimum with the cheapest crap available.
just saying.

bbddpp (05-25-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 09:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,397 Likes on 3,137 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
Beware of "cheapest available" version of parts. They often bite you in the AZZ. I'm on a road trip in my 278k mile '01 Durango, in Tennessee on my way to Georgia from Chicago-ish. I NEVER buy "cheapest available" if I have a choice. Ever. Unless I'm in a "backed in a corner" situation and can't wait for the good stuff. I've been buying parts from the junkyard that I would never have in past years. I seem to have as good of luck with used original parts as new cheap Chinese crap. I am a fleet mechanic by trade, and maintain my own vehicle as well or better than the guidance for maintenance of the state cop cars I work on daily. Overkill? Maybe. But I'm also allergic to payments. Pulling a trailer, currently in Tennessee, stopped to eat, the old 360 is purring right along. I don't get that sort of dependability by fixing the minimum with the cheapest crap available.
just saying.
Exactly.

The whole "you get what you pay for" thing is very true.

bbddpp (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:23 AM
bbddpp
Rookie

I appreciate your guys' advice on the parts. You're probably laughing at me for taking this long for a job that should take 3 hours.

That said I have a fan blade, engine fan clutch, and serpentine belt ready to go in. Also a new power steering pulley from Dorman to pull and replace (borrowing both that tool and the engine fan clutch wrench so anxious to get both back).

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on waiting to replace this stuff until I can source the lower radiator shield plastic piece, as it seems that can be tougher to get in there, however, with no radiator or condenser at all installed I assume even with a new fan installed and belt, that will still be a fairly cleared out area.

My plan is to get that far and then hold off on the radiator and condenser until I can find a lower shield. In the meantime I'll shop a new radiator and new hoses (already have some mopar hoses and new themostat and fill cap). Also am thinking of finding the o-rings for the condenser lines (trying to avoid buying a whole kit of o-rings just to do this, but it's tough to find a specialty kit).

Am I on the right track? Would you guys agree it's safe to install the new pulley, serpentine belt, fan blade, and fan clutch at this time? Seeing some of it go back together would be reassuring.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:39 AM
mrmotoguzzi00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to say I admire your perseverance and willingness to learn new stuff and listen to these seasoned pro's ...

I've been around a while(aka i'm old) and every time i buy a new to me vehicle i go looking for a good forum. Forums are easy to find, good ones not so much

This seems to be a good one!

Keep plugging away and your learning a lot and it's gonna be great once it's up and running and you can say to yourself i did this.

Good Luck

Mike

Old 05-25-2021, 03:01 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

No idea why they stick with me but they are fantastic. I am moving slower than a turtle yet without them I'd never have even tried.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?