1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 10:23 AM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I wouldn’t run it with the tranny dry. Supertech ATF+4 at Walmart is the cheapest you’ll find and just as good as any other. I run it as PS fluid too.
Nice! That’s the exact stuff I picked up last week. The weird thing is I checked the level on the dipstick and it’s coming out as full which I didn’t expect after the loss through the disconnection of the radiator. I have no idea how much to add if the darn dip stick is showing the transmission fluid is full. Very unusual.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,397 Likes on 3,137 Posts

Need to check fluid level with engine running, trans in neutral, and everything warmed up. Since you have fluid showing on the stick, it'll be fine to start it up, just make sure fluid is going before trying to drive it.

You really don't lose that much fluid from the radiator. The mess just makes it look like 20 gallons came out.

The following users liked this post:
bbddpp (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 04:13 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to check fluid level with engine running, trans in neutral, and everything warmed up. Since you have fluid showing on the stick, it'll be fine to start it up, just make sure fluid is going before trying to drive it.

You really don't lose that much fluid from the radiator. The mess just makes it look like 20 gallons came out.
Agreed. I didn't know if you had drained it or what. At rest the fluid sits low in the pan and some in the torque converter, so you wouldn't have lost it all. You just lost whatever was in the cooler and the lines when you went dancing with the deer. With the engine off and cold, the ATF should be right where the dipstick twists. That's how I check mine cold. Do what HeyYou says though.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-30-2021 at 04:18 PM.
bbddpp (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:37 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

That's what I wanted to hear - It did seem like it lost it all but there's definitely some in there according to the stick. I'll check the twist though, maybe add a little more before I start it up anyway. Think I am just two nuts away (home depot I think has some that work for cheaper than mopar) to attach my condenser lines, after that, everything is hooked up -- Didn't put in the bolts for the radiator support but figure I don't need to do that until I'm driving it.

That said, I'm a little scared I might start a fire or something when I start this thing. Should I be trying to push it outside to a safe spot and have a fire extinguisher handy? It's scary stuff. The engine literally hasn't been turned over in 2 years! I'll be adding in the 50/50 coolant last just in case I need to adjust any last minute hoses but I'm pretty sure I did at least the best I could. Here's what is replaced in here:

- Power steering pump and pulley (added fluid)
- Fan Clutch
- Engine Fan
- Electric radiator fan
- Radiator (and lower shroud)
- Condenser
- Both Radiator Hoses

Doesn't seem like a ton when I look at it that way, but it sure has been a learning experience.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:25 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 594 Likes on 539 Posts

I don't remember if anybody said how the Deer came out of this.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by bbddpp
That's what I wanted to hear - It did seem like it lost it all but there's definitely some in there according to the stick. I'll check the twist though, maybe add a little more before I start it up anyway. Think I am just two nuts away (home depot I think has some that work for cheaper than mopar) to attach my condenser lines, after that, everything is hooked up -- Didn't put in the bolts for the radiator support but figure I don't need to do that until I'm driving it.

That said, I'm a little scared I might start a fire or something when I start this thing. Should I be trying to push it outside to a safe spot and have a fire extinguisher handy? It's scary stuff. The engine literally hasn't been turned over in 2 years! I'll be adding in the 50/50 coolant last just in case I need to adjust any last minute hoses but I'm pretty sure I did at least the best I could. Here's what is replaced in here:

- Power steering pump and pulley (added fluid)
- Fan Clutch
- Engine Fan
- Electric radiator fan
- Radiator (and lower shroud)
- Condenser
- Both Radiator Hoses

Doesn't seem like a ton when I look at it that way, but it sure has been a learning experience.
Cycle the key a couple times to prime/pressurize the fuel system before actually trying to start it, and check for leaks before turning the engine over. Aside from that, should be safe in the garage. (unless you actually find a fuel leak, in which case, don't try and start it. )

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I don't remember if anybody said how the Deer came out of this.
Had it been me, with my luck, my truck would have been totaled, and the deer would have gotten up, shaken his head a couple times, give me a dirty look, and then bounded off into the woods.

The following 3 users liked this post by HeyYou:
bbddpp (08-31-2021), Dodgevity (08-31-2021), sporta (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:40 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

You want to jack up the front end and leave the cap off, so you can bleed/add coolant.

Hook up a battery charger if you got one, pull the fuel pump relay and crank it for 5-10 seconds a few times, just to circulate the oil without actually starting. Also, I can't recall if you recharged the AC or not, or whether you even plan to have AC. If not, pull the compressor relay too, that way you don't run the compressor while it's dry (can't recall if there is a pressure switch which prevents that anyway). You won't start a fire, but have some marshmallows on a stick, just in case.

bbddpp (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:14 AM
bbddpp
Rookie

You guys are the best. More great tips thanks. I will look into how to pull these 2 relays so I’m doing all I can to prepare. I didn’t realize that have to jack it up to add the coolant but will look into this as well. Don’t know if I have a good jack anymore. It’s been forever since I’ve had to jack this truck up. Battery has been on a trickle charge and is in good shape.

Forgot I replace the serpentine belt as well.

As for the deer. No no the deer did not fare well at all. It was a almost dead on hit going around 70 mph on a four-lane highway. The airbags did not deploy and the deer went straight under the vehicle and was dragged for a couple seconds before likely be coming mush or split into pieces. So no, the Durango was defeated but the deer was as well so it was probably a wash as far as battle points go.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The Durango will live again..... Do deer believe in reincarnation?

bbddpp (10-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 11:44 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by bbddpp
Don’t know if I have a good jack anymore. It’s been forever since I’ve had to jack this truck up.
You can simply start it, then drive the front end up on ramps, a hill or even a curb, before it starts heating up.

bbddpp (10-04-2021)

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?