1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Preparing for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Corey Berkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Preparing for Towing

Hey guys. I have a 03 Durango 4.7 magnum engine with a 3.55 rear axle ratio. It does not have a factory tow package. I have been towing a 1977 Starcraft Starmaster 6 popup camper. We would like to upgrade to a full size travel trailer. The max towing capacity is 4,400 lbs. However, I am thinking that with the original equipment I may need to upgrade for better performance. I would like advice on what you all think. What should I upgrade if anything to tow something weighing that much?

Old 07-17-2020, 01:29 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey Berkey
Hey guys. I have a 03 Durango 4.7 magnum engine with a 3.55 rear axle ratio. It does not have a factory tow package. I have been towing a 1977 Starcraft Starmaster 6 popup camper. We would like to upgrade to a full size travel trailer. The max towing capacity is 4,400 lbs. However, I am thinking that with the original equipment I may need to upgrade for better performance. I would like advice on what you all think. What should I upgrade if anything to tow something weighing that much?
Do you have the auxiliary transmission cooler? If not, I would add it and possibly the power steering cooler. Not sure what else to upgrade.

Steve

Old 07-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Corey Berkey

No I do not have the auxiliary transmission cooler.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:52 PM
Corey Berkey
Default Towing Preparation

I do not have an auxiliary transmission cooler.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:57 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey Berkey
I do not have an auxiliary transmission cooler.
Seemed to be an easy add on to my 2001 Durango with the 4.7L engine...I luckily had a factory radiator from a 2000 Durango that I could rob the parts off of ... the trans cooler itself is pretty easy to install and if you find the cooler/hoses from a donor vehicle its pretty self explanatory on how to connect them up. Basically involves 3 connections if I recall correctly. If you need I can probably grab a picture later today...

Steve

Old 07-17-2020, 02:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Have a look at trailers, and see how much the trailer you want weighs.... See if you 'Rango meets the need. Go from there. Gotta remember, it isn't just the weight of the trailer, it's all the stuff you put in it as well.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (07-17-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 06:15 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

A pop-up camper isn't that much of a strain as far as towing. goes. I would still add that extra trans cooler.
for what that pop-up would weigh compared to the weight of the durango I don't think you'd need to worry about adding a trailer brake box.
That vehicle should haul a pop-up line it wasn't even there but make sure that you distribute the weight within the camper well. More weight over the axle and slightly more forward of the axle or the tail will wag the dog.
In my case I tow fairly often (or used to anyway) with my 01, I hauled a Wrangler 300 miles and a 80s bronco II back and then afterwards that thing drove like $#!t even empty. I had rebuilt the engine and transmission and after it sat for that I quickly remembered it's bad driving charecteristics shortly after.
I had replaced the ball joints, tie rods and the rack n pinion between towing those 2 vehicles, and the engine/transmission work/, so shortly after the engine work I replaced the leaf springs plus every front bushing possible, with energy suspension urethane bushings, new tires shocks and took it for another alignment. I plan to keep this one until it rots into the ground no matter how many miles are on it. Currently at 266,xxx and counting.
i didn't physically see anything wrong with the old bushings but there was a HUGE difference in the before and after.
It didn't cost me much at all to rebuild the suspension, besides a weekend in the garage. But then again I have my own lift in my garage here at home. The only thing I had to farm out was the alignment. Time and money well spent on the suspension work. And so far since I have had it back on the road I haven't had to tow anything.
But when I do it is alot more than just a pop-up. Another reason why I bypassed any Durango with a 4.7, and held out for one with the 360.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:15 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

A pop-up camper isn't that much of a strain as far as towing. goes. I would still add that extra trans cooler.
for what that pop-up would weigh compared to the weight of the durango I don't think you'd need to worry about adding a trailer brake box.
That vehicle should haul a pop-up line it wasn't even there but make sure that you distribute the weight within the camper well. More weight over the axle and slightly more forward of the axle or the tail will wag the dog.
In my case I tow fairly often (or used to anyway) with my 01, I hauled a Wrangler 300 miles and a 80s bronco II back and then afterwards that thing drove like $#!t even empty. I had rebuilt the engine and transmission and after it sat for that I quickly remembered it's bad driving charecteristics shortly after.
I had replaced the ball joints, tie rods and the rack n pinion between towing those 2 vehicles, and the engine/transmission work/, so shortly after the engine work I replaced the leaf springs plus every front bushing possible, with energy suspension urethane bushings, new tires shocks and took it for another alignment. I plan to keep this one until it rots into the ground no matter how many miles are on it. Currently at 266,xxx and counting.
i didn't physically see anything wrong with the old bushings but there was a HUGE difference in the before and after.
It didn't cost me much at all to rebuild the suspension, besides a weekend in the garage. But then again I have my own lift in my garage here at home. The only thing I had to farm out was the alignment. Time and money well spent on the suspension work. And so far since I have had it back on the road I haven't had to tow anything.
But when I do it is alot more than just a pop-up. Another reason why I bypassed any Durango with a 4.7, and held out for one with the 360.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:20 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

BTW when I do tow a pop-up it's a 1978 apache Ramada. Rated for 2200 lb gross weight with weight of camper, and all my gear, that's only due to the design of the camper
but now I ain't afraid to go get my son's car trailer and haul a car or small truck with my durango any more. Yes before you ask, I do have a trailer brake box in mine even though I rarely need it.anymore.

Quick Reply: Preparing for Towing