1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Dodge Durango

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 04:23 PM
frsnk.hubbard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2001 Dodge Durango

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT with a 4.7 liter magnum engine automatic. I have replaced plugs, wires, and all 8 coil packs on the plugs. it just shut off on day and has never started since. the car has just over 200,000 miles and since i crashed my daily driver i have no choice but to try and fix this one. it will crank but not run. fuel pump is buzzing when key is turned on. not sure what to do. i do know i am super screwed if i cant get it up and running, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Check and see if you are actually getting spark. Might be as simple as a sensor.

Moving this to first gen Durango section for ya.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:35 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by frsnk.hubbard
I have replaced plugs, wires, and all 8 coil packs on the plugs.
The 4.7L doesn't have wires that you can replace. It has a harness which plugs into all the coil packs. Is the check engine light on? If so, get the code read.

Your engine needs four things to run. Fuel, air, spark and compression. I would spray some starting fluid down into the throttle body. If it runs then dies, you have a fuel delivery issue, at which point, I'd start looking at that fuel pump. If it doesn't run, pull one of the plugs and check if you're getting spark. Another thing that could be the issue is the crank position sensor failing.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-20-2020 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sporta (08-29-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 08:35 AM
frsnk.hubbard

Thank you, i meant the coil packs on the plugs not wires. What are the chances the PCM went bad? I have read alot about people replacing thoughs

Old 08-21-2020, 10:18 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Thank you, i meant the coil packs on the plugs not wires. What are the chances the PCM went bad? I have read alot about people replacing thoughs
A coil pack going bad would cause it to run rough/misfire. A few failing may cause it not to run at all, but they don't usually fail in multiples. There are many possibilities, but I'd start with the cheapest, easiest items first. Cranks sensors fail a lot more than PCMs. I've seen people replace PCMs only to realize that the problem was never the PCM, but their perfectly good PCM was sent in as a core, never to be returned. You never answered about the check engine light....

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-21-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:33 AM
frsnk.hubbard

I get off work today at 5 and have a friend with a scanner to come check the engine light. I hope it is a sensor that would be a blessing. Thank you for your help. I may just change both cam and crank sensors and see if that works. other than a code what are symptoms of a bad crank sensor. Ill pull a plug and see if i have spark this afternoon as well. I hope and pray something works.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:29 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

other than a code what are symptoms of a bad crank sensor.
Your truck refusing to run or start! Go with Mopar sensor if you replace it. Many have had trouble with aftermarkets.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (08-29-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 11:36 AM
frsnk.hubbard

Would you replace just the crank sensor to start or the cam as well?

Old 08-21-2020, 12:47 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Would you replace just the crank sensor to start or the cam as well?
Actually, I'd start with reading the code. That may give you a clue to exactly what's wrong and it might not be the sensors. You can get it read at an auto parts store, or you might be able to do the key dance to get the truck to show it right on the display.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:03 PM
frsnk.hubbard

My brother said that the code had a multiple cylinder misfire when he had it before me, which is why he had me replace the plugs and coil pack. would multiple misfire on cylinders be a crank sensor? im getting ready to go pull codes now

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Durango