Fixed heater core. New problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 10:39 AM
George Genovezos
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed heater core. New problems :(

Hi all,

Heater core was leaking so I replaced it.

Now I have heat. Unfortunately air only comes from the defrost vent and my cruise control stopped working. I'm guessing it's a vacuum hose somewhere.

I'm hoping it's an easy fix and I don't need to disassemble the whole dash because I might have to "accidentally" drive it off a cliff.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Yep, that's a vacuum leak. Unfortunately, the last place you were playing was under the dash.... so that is likely where it's at.

There is a single line that comes thru the firewall, over by the ac box, under the hood, that supplies vacuum to the control head. Could check there first..... the plastic lines get brittle with age under the hood, and break pretty easy......

Old 01-15-2022, 11:59 AM
George Genovezos
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, that's a vacuum leak. Unfortunately, the last place you were playing was under the dash.... so that is likely where it's at.

There is a single line that comes thru the firewall, over by the ac box, under the hood, that supplies vacuum to the control head. Could check there first..... the plastic lines get brittle with age under the hood, and break pretty easy......
UGH! I see a broken line that feeds off the brake booster. that should be it. How does it connect to the control head and do I need to disassemble everything or can I feed it blindly?

Also where do i get a vacuum line that thin or can I use something different?

Old 01-15-2022, 12:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you have a broken line under the hood, fix that first, and see if the problem is gone.

For the plastic line, I just use some rubber vacuum line of an appropriately small diameter, so it fits on there nice and tight. Just splice 'em back together. Any parts store should sell the stuff in bulk, just pick up a foot or three, and use as necessary.

Old 01-15-2022, 12:15 PM
George Genovezos
Rookie

Ok. What I have is a T off the brake booster that goes to a very thin line and goes to nothing. It's right next to the heater core in/outlet. I don't see it going anywhere and there isn't another line anywhere. Might be inside the cab but I don't see how it connects from the engine bay to the control head. do you have a pic or something that shows how it connects from the engine vacuum to the control head?

Old 01-15-2022, 12:24 PM
George Genovezos
Rookie

found this on the Internet. Guess I need to run a vacuum line. Now for the hope and prayer. Do I need to remove the dash to get to this or can is it accessible from under the dash?

Old 01-15-2022, 12:25 PM
George Genovezos
Rookie

Ok I found this on the Internet. Looks like I need to run a vacuum line. Now for teh hope and prayer. Do I need to disassemble the whole dash or is it accessible from under the dash?

Old 01-15-2022, 12:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The line runs in right thru the grommet for the heater core. It's low enough, that you *should* be able to see it from inside. Is the thing below the heater core the throttle cable??

Old 01-15-2022, 01:19 PM
George Genovezos
Rookie

No. that's a vacuum line. there isn't a grommet it loos like it just passes by the heater core insulation.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by George Genovezos
No. that's a vacuum line. there isn't a grommet it loos like it just passes by the heater core insulation.
Yep, that on is a vacuum line, I am curious about the one slightly lower, and to the right of the heater core stuff.

Quick Reply: Fixed heater core. New problems :(