1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Torsion Bar Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I threw it in the back. Then got a "Tire Gate " from Wilco. See my picture here or cardomain under lvphotos.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:08 AM
asphaltwarrior1
Rookie

Does anyone have pics, before and after of their Rango's CV axle angle ?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 PM
asphaltwarrior1
Rookie

Well I went and turned up the torsion bars 8 turns. What a difference . I'll take pics in a couple days so I can post up before and after. I checked the axle angle before and after, and to my surprise after the suspension settled back down it was almost he same. Very flat before and a slight change after words. Almost not even noticeable. It is a tad stiffer but the steering is more responsive and firmer. I ordered my Belltech 6400 shackles tonight and they will go in next week. Just in time to drive it a bit before the plow gets installed. Still need to order my new shocks and brake upgrades. Lots of great advice in this thread that helped with the torsion bars. Can't wait to tackle the shackles.

This is the before pic I already had. After pic Ill show from same spot and approx same angle when the shackles are on.

Attachment 23086 Well for some reason it deleted my before photo.

Last edited by asphaltwarrior1; 02-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 AM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Originally Posted by asphaltwarrior1
Well I went and turned up the torsion bars 8 turns. What a difference . I'll take pics in a couple days so I can post up before and after. I checked the axle angle before and after, and to my surprise after the suspension settled back down it was almost he same. Very flat before and a slight change after words. Almost not even noticeable. It is a tad stiffer but the steering is more responsive and firmer. I ordered my Belltech 6400 shackles tonight and they will go in next week. Just in time to drive it a bit before the plow gets installed. Still need to order my new shocks and brake upgrades. Lots of great advice in this thread that helped with the torsion bars. Can't wait to tackle the shackles.

This is the before pic I already had. After pic Ill show from same spot and approx same angle when the shackles are on.

Attachment 23086
You will want to get an alignment when you are all done.

It may not look like it is out, but when you get the numbers, you will surely see it needs some tweaking. Tires ain't cheap.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:52 PM
asphaltwarrior1
Rookie

Yep will be getting an alignment as soon as I get the tires mounted later this month. I'm gonna do all the tweaking before I put the new tires on.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Originally Posted by asphaltwarrior1
Yep will be getting an alignment as soon as I get the tires mounted later this month. I'm gonna do all the tweaking before I put the new tires on.
That is what I did too.

I checked with my mechanic if this was something he could do for me (I do not have the tools...and messing with the torsion bars and their load was a little out of my wheelhouse)

I confirmed I had the 16x8 rim, and confirmed that the 285/75/R16 tire would fit without "doming"...as you see on most 3/4 ton Silverados.

I bought "new indexed" Torsion Keys and Shackle kit and had my mechanic install them.

Got the tires from the local tire store while on sale at the end of the year.

Got the tires installed, and they did the alignment for something like $60 or so.

Then I purchased new shocks as there was a bit of sway after I lifted it up. Turns out the shocks on the front were toast. The back shocks were not much better.

I had my buddy help me put the shocks on (he had the tools to do this), and from them on I have been enjoying the view.

All I had to do was take the dremel to cut a little part on the inner underneath side of the front bumper. The outer tire tread lugs were rubbing on that "Corner" on full turns.

Can't wait to see your pics when you get it done.

Here is the difference in mine:

Name:  Durango_Lift_B_A_zps9072ad15.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  66.1 KB

Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 PM
asphaltwarrior1
Rookie

Looks nice man ! I will post them up for sure. My front sits about like yours, and the back should after the shackles get here.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM
j4grave
Default Torsion Bars

Just thought I'd attach a pick of my D after I raised the torsion bars. After I did it I was able to fit 32½" tires with no rubbing.

Attached Thumbnails  Torsion Bar Lift-warwagon.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 AM
asphaltwarrior1
Rookie

Nice looking rig man ! Do the Gen2 get the same shackle lift as well?

My shackles will be here today, but I can't work on it till Friday Arrgh ..

Last edited by asphaltwarrior1; 02-04-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duelsxt
Does the T/S lift really make that much of a differnece?I mean is it worth the $60 plus your labor for a whole 2in ? I know you guys have done it. Come on share some before and after photos !!!
$60 for two more inches. Better than going out for drinks and wasting it.
And if you want free you can just make your own shakles and use your bolts.
What guy doesn't want two more inches. Lmao.

I run 33x12.5x15 on my stock 99 Dakota with just a TB lift to level.
Frame rub on front on tight turns. Paint missing from frame and lugs catch in reverse but slightly. Not enough to injure the tire but enough to be careful.
3" BL and proper offset wheels will cure that.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bar Lift