1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

I still cant believe it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I still cant believe it!!!

welds sould be made on a clean surface meaning, you clean all the paint, rust, and any other crap away before you weld the surfaces together. Welding on paint will leave a contaminated weldand can also weaken its stenght.

Since it does looke like a MIG weld depending on the what tpye or mix of shielding gas he is useing and filler material has a great effect on weld strength.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

im not saying it cant be done, just that it can be somewhat risky if not done correctly. who knows what will happen if he gets hit by anouther car.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

My sisters ex boyfriend bought a 2001 civic that was totaled in the rear and he found an entire rear section for it, cut the car in half, and welded the two together. He works at a body shop and had some help doing the welds, but he said the car was welded in the place he cut anyways, it was made that way. Btw the car looks great too!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM
ScrapYurImport
Veteran

welds sould be made on a clean surface meaning, you clean all the paint, rust, and any other crap away before you weld the surfaces together. Welding on paint will leave a contaminated weldand can also weaken its stenght
dou you think this was some slap **** job? every thing was cleaned top to bottom including the removal of all undercoating then it was sealed and reundercoated. Yea it was a mig welder but my dad has been welding forever and this is not the first car he has done like this.

finally someone who agrees with me. there is no way your welds could be stronger than the original body. plus with all the work you did and all the stuff you bought you couldve just made a 2nd gen look like the srt4 and swapped eng.trans. it looks great, dont get me wrong! but i wouldnt drive it above 50 in a straight line. and i would definately avoid speedbumps!
what part of dont have the money do you not understand, and personally i could care less if you wouldnt drive it! Its not your car so dont worry about it!And as for a metal patch the metal was not just butted up the entire trunk overlaps and is welded on both ends.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Aerorat
All Star

If you know how to weld your welds are stronger than the metal you are welding as far as sheet metal. (that is a known fact) If you do not know how to weld but think you do your welds will be weak and not worth the time. If your welds are are ripping apart go back to school and learn HOW TO WELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it great you dad did this work together. And don't pay these idiots no mind as long as you are happy with it.
But as far as i would have done is in a gen2 for cheaper insurance. I also prefer the gen1 two door body style to.
Looks good so far can't wait to see the finished pics

Old 08-30-2007, 07:29 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

2nd gens are forgirls 1stgen's and srt's are for menany idiot who goes out and makes a replica srt-4 out of a 2nd genis a loser and a girl and cheap person.you guys are just jeolous he has a srt-4i know i am

Old 08-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

i second that estneon.anyone live in nor cal that would wanna help with a tranny swap in my 98 neon around christmas time

Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Aerorat
All Star

uh the gen2 and srt 4 body are PRETTY much the same

Old 08-30-2007, 08:00 PM
kris95neonspt
Professional

I had a first gen 2 door neon that was bought totaled and it had the front rad support and half the drivers side frame rail welded on. I drove it for a while with no problems (4 year) but after awhile some drunk guy pulled out in front of me while i was going 60 mph ( i know i was speeding) and totaled the car agian and the welds held great the car did what it was supposed to the front started to curl under like any unibody would at that time. Keep usupdated on the car scrap looking forward to it.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

aerorat:yeah but there still not the same car

captansavaho:if you came over to az i would help for free....i even know someone with a enginehoist and a car lift