1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

DOHC cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 AM
civiceater88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOHC cylinder head

anybody got an extra dohc cylinder head with less then 70000 miles laying around i can buy?

Old 06-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: DOHC cylinder head

You do know that milage isnt really a factor in how good that head is?. I've seen cracked aluminum heads at 10,000 miles let alone 70,000 miles i'd really be more concerned about price than Mileage. Besides Mileage reflects more on crank rods and pistons than the actual head casting itself. Single overhead cam heads are better anyways.... lighter more reliable andminimal power loss and less crank drag on pulling an extra cam shaft.People seem to forget they underated this motor as not to take away from the DOHC's introduction. The DOHC makes more seat of the pants power due to better factory exhaust andbetter computer settings. the factory Dyno of both Engines prior to production was 144hp for the SOHC and 150hp for the DOHC so to me it doesnt pay to have a less reliable engine that will cost more to build. Also don't forget that the DOHC engine had higher compression which has nothing to do with the "EXTRA CAM" hence the 6hp gain over the SOHC, its because of higher compression pistons. Buy some high compressionKeith Black Hyperutectic Pistons and a cheap SOHC Head

Forget what I said if your motor was allready a DOHC, then I can see why you want it back to normal.

Have a nice day!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM
NYG
Veteran

Where abouts are you Civic Eater?

There are two JunkYards South West of Atlanta with a few heads.

I just picked up one 3 weeks ago for $100 - sent it straight to the Machine shop - found a crack - took it back to the Junk Yard and they gave me another one - the 2nd one is Golden got back from the Machine Shop last week and started installing it last night trying to get ready for this weekends race in Savannah

Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe
the factory Dyno of both Engines prior to production was 144hp for the SOHC and 150hp for the DOHC
Where is this information coming from? I would like to know.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: das2123

the factory Dyno of both Engines prior to production was 144hp for the SOHC and 150hp for the DOHC
Where is this information coming from? I would like to know.
The easiest place to find it is at www.allpar.com but even there you still have to read alot to find, and also I've talked with many people including Chrysler engineerswho back up that the SOHC is really rated at 144hp and have actually dyno'ed both engines. Its not all that hard to believe seeing that both Engines have 4 valaves per cylinder and the SOHC engine has a bit more compression and to "de-tune it" they put restrictive exhaust and mild PCM tuning and also they put a automatic tranny with most of them that has a huge 1st and 2nd gear, If I can be in first gear at 53mph at 5500 RPMwhen the car red lines at 6500 RPMthere is a huge problem with gearing.As far as I'm concerned the extra cam is more drag on the motor and more parts to worry about at 6500 RPM.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
das2123
Legend

to "de-tune it" they put restrictive exhaust and mild PCM tuning
So are you saying if I were to put a DOHC PCM and DOHC muffler on my stock SOHC engine, my numbers would be comparable to a DOHC engine?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 PM
spudsterier
Legend

dohc's still have better top-end power

Old 06-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

dohc's still have better top-end power
Stock vs Stock maybe and only if youcompare a SOHCauto vs 5 speedDOHC, but with the DOHC's PCM and Exhaust on your SOHC car (even with an automatic tranny) you will waste it. If you are using a 5 speed your top End will Rock anyway, if your using an automatic and plan to use a automatic with the DOHC head you wont gain anything because the PCM for the DOHC with an auto tranny have the same 6700RPM rev limiter the SOHC has. Just swap a 95 SOHC cam in your current SOHC engine along with the DOHC's exhuast and PCM and you will consistantly own a DOHC car by a few car lengths. The fact is the SOHC responds better to the Exhaust and PCM better than the DOHC they were designed for. Even if you don't have the higher range cam from a 95 SOHC you will still smoke a DOHC car.

And from expirence I can tell you from expirence that going 115the Engine is at 4100RPM's,by the time the DOHC's aggressive cams come into play around 5800the rev limiter is pushing you back down to 118. Even so if you want more top end out of your SOHC swap a stock95 cam into your 96 and later SOHC car and you will gain the top end needed to delete the DOHC's advantage.

Doing simple mods to the SOHC are easier andpay off morein power than just swapping a whole newDOHC engineinto your car.

das2123
Date 6/27/2007 2:56:33 PM

[blockquote][/blockquote]
So are you saying if I were to put a DOHC PCM and DOHC muffler on my stock SOHC engine, my numbers would be comparable to a DOHC engine?
I'm saying you would outright smoke a DOHC with a SOHC engine with those PCM and Exhaust mod's and the lead would be even bigger if you put a cam from a 95 Neon ina 96+SOHC Engine.

My '98SOHC without a DOHC PCMwill smoke aDOHC equipedcar up to 75mph then after 75 it equals out and is a side by side race, and if I had a cam from a 95 SOHC in my car it wouldnt be an equal race it would be a killing.

Many people don't chance it but I do because I had to prove a point to a DOHC car once, off the line I put my car in neutral and put it up to 5200RPM and slamed it into drive once the light turned green and I just about melted that DOHC car off the line and smookedhim very good up until about 75 where his 5 speeds gearing was getting a chance to catch up and I blame that on my automatics loooong 3rd gear not the SOHC engine, automatic DOHC's are slower given the same opertunity. I do not recomend doingneutral drops but one thing it did prove is if you got the ***** to risk your SOHC'stranny you can wipe the smile off the guys face at Auto Zone who laughs at your SOHC and turn that into respect.

Both engines have similar potential for power but due to design from factory the DOHC actually needs machine shop work done to it (such as milling the head) to have similar potential that the SOHC can gain by just byswapping stockparts.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Uh oh.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 AM
95neonriceeater
Record Breaker

OOOHHH DAMN!