1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Oil in spark plugs, water pump out, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in spark plugs, water pump out, etc.

My sister has a 97 Neon SOHC with probably about 180k(the odometer shows 130k, but has hardly worked for the past couple years). The car has had it share of problems, as is typical with the neons, and it's at it again. The car was making some pretty crappy sounds, and I can't even remember how to describe the sounds, because it's been a while since I heard it running(It mostly just sat in her driveway, and her and her boyfriend used his car). But she finally decided to take it to the shop, but on the way it overheated, and when she stopped it wouldn't restart. At the very end it was dumping some antifreeze out. So a mechanic told her over the phone at the description of the problem and the name NEON, it sounded like the typical bad water pump and timing belt. So I told her that I would change them, and try to change the valve's if any happened to be bent. Well I popped out the spark plugs in order to get Cylinder 1 to TDC. When I pulled the boots out, Cylinders 1, 2, and 3 had quite a bit of oil and Cylinder 4 had a decent amount of oil in it.

So, I was just wanting to get some opinions if you guys thought that the oil on the spark plugs/boots was from. My first thought because of the timing belt and from what the mechanic had told her earlier is that it's the valves, but I haven't gotten into the engine yet.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Likemyjunk
Default RE: Oil in spark plugs, water pump out, etc.

I dunno about the SOHC 2.0... But does the Spark Plugs go through the valve cover into the top of the head? If so, there is a good chance the seals on the valve cover, which seal the oil from leaking into the spark plug holes are, well, leaking....

As for the valves. If the water pump locked up and the timing belt broke then I am pretty sure you got some bent vavles. Again, I am not 100% certain on the SOHC engine, but the DOHC is an interfering engine. So in short if the crank spins and the cams dont, valves get bent.

The timing cover sometimes has an access panel you can remove. Do this and see if your belt is broke maybe.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SOHC engine is an interference engine, but is a little more forgivable on the valves than the DOHC. A simple quick compression check would let you know.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:35 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie

I had looked through the hole at the top of the timing belt cover as well as pulled it back a bit were the front and back of the cover meets, and I can't see that it's actually broken. But through the hole I can see that the belt looks to be pretty loose on the gear, so I would assume it's probably broken. Also yes the spark plugs go in at the top of the valve cover. Also, I am really a newbie when it comes to internal components. I have never tore down an engine other than a single 5hp go-cart engine. Thanks for your help so far and any additional comments/suggestions/help. Thanks and have a safe and HAPPY 4th!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie

Okay, I got the timing cover off, but as I was pulling it off two roller bearing fell out. And once the cover was all the way off I found several more roller bearings and some other metal shards at the bottom of the timing belt housing. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what they think the bearings and shards are from. I didn't really have much time to thoroughly look over the inside of the housing for anything broken, but during the quick look I did take I didn't see anything that was tore up. And yes the timing belt was broken. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 AM
NYG
Veteran

Not much experience on the SOHC - I have rebuilt my DOHC at least half dozen times

Take a picture of the Shards??

Seems unusual to have shards there as all you have are your pullies for your timing belt, Cam Pully, Crank Pully, and your water pump in there.

Take the cylinder head to a machine shop - let them re-assemble it and check all the clearances.

If you can rebuild a 5hp motor - you can rebuild this SOHC engine - with one hand tied behind your back. These engines are Very simple!! amazingly a Chilton or Haynes manual does a good job of walking you thru it!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as for the oil in the spark plug tubes...change the valve cover gasket while your at it and change the plug tube seals.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie

I went and looked at it after I got home from work just now and realized that the water pump pulley is in the timing belt housing. Hehe, I don't know why but I didn't really pay much attention til now about where exactly the water pump is. So I assume the bearings are from that. I will charge my batteries and take a picture of the shards and post it some time tonite. Also, just to make sure, are these right what you're talking about, spark plug tube seals: http://autozone.com/R,APP1226527/veh...ductDetail.htm I usually prefer to go to Advance but a search on their site didn't return any results. And as far as taking the head to a machine shop, I don't really know if it's worth the money. The car has prolly around 180k on it, and it's really just a second car for my sis and her boyfriend. I mean of course my labor is free, but I figure I'm coming around $200 in parts so far. Also, about checking if the valves are bent. How should I go about that? Just go ahead and pull them out, or replace the timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, plug seals, plugs, and wires and check out the compression. Let me know what you guys think the best approach would be. THANKS AGAIN for everything!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie

Here is a picture of some of the shards from inside the timing belt housing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/66720/937F40CBA2164656AB9C0B186E17D16F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 PM
NYG
Veteran

Hmmm- not sure what to make of the Picture - trying to think of what has a inside groove on it besides the bearings

My Local Machine shop charges me about $35 to inspect ahead and valves on my Neon - call and check your local shop

You have both options - a machine shop - or you can spend time and money putting new parts on it only to have to take it apart to have the head machined

A compression test will definately tell you the overall condition

Quick Reply: Oil in spark plugs, water pump out, etc.