1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

My Neon

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:20 AM
96dodgeneonbuild
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Neon

Hi .... i am new to this site but not new to cars ..... But i own a 96 dodge neon and i was just wondering if someone could give me some good clues as to get some more power out of it

Its a 2.0L 4cylinder single over head cam .... um its a automatic ... jsut your basic car so far i have just put a stero in it but i was thinking about building it up just for the fun of it!

i am getting new brakes and tires soon .... what i want to know is i want a idea what brands and parts i should get adn what i wanna do to it FIRST

is get a header and exhaust back ... um cold air intake ... larger fuel injectors and a chip .... and i would like to look into wheels and suspension .

so if you have any ideas on prices places or brands and all that id much appreciate it thank you!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 AM
96dodgeneonbuild
Default RE: My Neon

another question i had was can i bolt on a srt 4 motor to this year of neon i know id have to rewire the wiring harness and all that??? but just curious! and if can how hard would it be to do so?

Old 07-26-2007, 01:01 AM
protivakid
Veteran

read the how to's man, they answer every question you just asked

Old 07-26-2007, 02:10 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 96dodgeneonbuild

Hi .... i am new to this site but not new to cars ..... But i own a 96 dodge neon and i was just wondering if someone could give me some good clues as to get some more power out of it

Its a 2.0L 4cylinder single over head cam .... um its a automatic ... jsut your basic car so far i have just put a stero in it but i was thinking about building it up just for the fun of it!

i am getting new brakes and tires soon .... what i want to know is i want a idea what brands and parts i should get adn what i wanna do to it FIRST

is get a header and exhaust back ... um cold air intake ... larger fuel injectors and a chip .... and i would like to look into wheels and suspension .

so if you have any ideas on prices places or brands and all that id much appreciate it thank you!
just wondering, what gave you the idea to soup up a neon? are you doing this because you think it's just like your friends and their hondas? neons don't have "chips" to use in them really.

if you are serious about building up a neon, i would recommend buying the book High Performance Dodge Neon Builder's Handbook by Mike Ancas

great book, helps dispel some myths and stuff, also great base start for any serious builder

Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can put the srt4 motor in that car.....but, it will be ALOT more work then just wiring....
personally, i dont think its worth it....

larger fuel injectors wont do you any good unless you have a turbo so dont waste your money on them....same goe for the chip....just another waste of money
try and find an iceman intake

Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
das2123
Legend

Hi .... i am new to this site but not new to cars
First of all...[sm=welcomesign.gif]

But i own a 96 dodge neon and i was just wondering if someone could give me some good clues as to get some more power out of it
How many miles on the car? If you are anywhere near or over 100,000 miles you may want to see if the timing belt, idler pulley and water pump have been changed. Most people do the CAI (Iceman or 3.0L intake), header and exhaust. How much are you wantting to spend. Look at your budget first. Don't go crazy just buying parts.

i awhat i want to know is i want a idea what brands and parts i should get adn what i wanna do to it FIRST
Hawk brake pads are great. Tires...I'd go with any brand name.

larger fuel injectors and a chip
No to the larger injectors. Bigger injectors does not equal more HP and there is no "chip" for the neon and the PCM isn't programmable.

and i would like to look into wheels and suspension
Get some lightweight rotas and look into some Mopar High Rates (discontinued) or Skunk2 lowering springs with either some KYB GR-2 struts or Konis.

if you have any ideas on prices places or brands and all that id much appreciate it thank you!
www.modernperformance.com

Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 AM
das2123
Legend
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Aerorat
All Star

I most defiantly think the srt4 is worth it. My best friend I done it my car

Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 PM
96dodgeneonbuild

ok thanks for all the info so dont go with larger injectors ( well i was thinking ) more fuel and air means more power kinda like the old days .. but i see what you mean

and i just came up with the idea i am very very into cars i do know a few things i took auto classes all four years of highschool so im not like a complete newby .... also the car has 130,000 miles or so ... and i am not sure how much i wanna spend on it ... my thoughts were to use this as a economy car then buy another car such as a 240sx and build that BUT theres soooo many of them around i dont wanna and i like hte fact that dodge makes a turbo charged neon.

and yeah i know wiring up the srt would be alot of work but if i just build the car ( like not as a daily driver or anything) just as a builder i could do it ... its not like its rocket science lol .... NO offense to no one ... but yeah thanks for all the info when i get more time ill read those threads.

um ... basically i just wanna build it up for fun maybe for a weekend racer ... either way if i dont build this car i am going to build some car ..... i just think if i have this then why not! you know??

and does anyone know if you can actually bolt on the srt 4 hood and front and rear bumpers??

thanks to you all

Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 PM
96dodgeneonbuild

oh and about the honda and my friends i have like three best freinds ... one owns a 87 honda accord one owns atoyota celica like a 83 and the other one owns a 85 elcamino with a 350 crate in it which i help build up a lil

honestly no offense to honda owners but it is not worth the money to build them up .... prolly the same for the neon but whatever lol

Quick Reply: My Neon