1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

very very very disappointing day

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default very very very disappointing day

well i took the red r/t out for a drive today and after about 15 minuites i hear a noise comming from the motor...so i drive it 3 blocks back home.......ends up........#1 rod knocking[:@]and after only 267 miles and being full of oil.....pisses me off because i wasnt even beating on the car.....
now the problem is that since i cannot afford to fix it, i guess that i will just part it all out and turn it back to mostly stock......im finally sick of this car.....well, not so much the car, just everything done to it that was supposed to make it "better".....
there are 2 things that **** me off the most:
one is the fact that i spent $500 getting the crank polished and balanced and $125 on bearings.....now the crank is probally junk...
the other is that the crank in the car is the original that i spun a bearing on....now i wonder if the place that worked on the crank didnt do a very good job or what the problem is.....
kinda sux too now since i cant really sell the engine whole....i would have to sell it piece by piece..unless sumone would want to buy a new crank

i think i will just try and get a low miles motor for it and throw my head and cams in it.....
im just tired of having one problem after another....seems that once 1 thing gets fixed, another then breaks....

i am probally gonna sell the parts, buy what i need to get it back to normal, then buy a nice 4-wheeler....

basically everything should be still good besides the crank....but i still have to rip the car apart and check it all out....

Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Default RE: very very very disappointing day

dude that sucks!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
neonracer1010
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that sux,
before you go ripping it all apart u should check the conditon of the rod and possibly see if you can get a bigger bearing for it.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 PM
spudsterier
Legend

yeah i was just thinking about that......maybe i will dig into it in the next day or 2......

i guess that i had better see how bad it is before i decide to scrap everything......especially since its not a very loud knock, but it is very noticable

Old 09-30-2007, 11:42 PM
pssssst
Veteran

[&o]sorry to hear that

Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Slashwannabe

Sorry to hear that man [&:]

Are you sure its not spark knock or callapsed lifters?

Nothing to do with fixing or diagnosingyour problem but a funny story about my brothers car which had a similar incident.

When my brother's 327 crank and pistonswere in the shop getting balenced he threw a truck 350 Chevyin his 1969 Camero that was sitting for like 15 years behind somebodys garageand he put his Intake and Carb set up on it and went cruising down the ave... Anyways this built up S-10 starts to hop his front end next to my brothers Camero so my brother decides at the next stop light he will see what the Ol' 350 has got that he just put in, long story short He winds the 350 up to 6,500 Rpm beats the S-10 by a half car length and all of a sudden this Noise from hell appeared and it sounded much like somebody taking a hammer and hitting it on a piece of solid steel rapidly, which of course is aspunrod bearing and soon to be fkd up Rod and Crank Journals.

Well we were all the way in downtown about a half hour drive from home (and it was an expendable engine) andwe decided to meet some friends as we planned earlier anyway despite blowing the rod bearing. So all you hear is a glorified Diesel sound only 10x louder going 35mph, we must have driven about 20 miles with this thing knocking awayand about a week later when he tore the engine apart he found that there was a little more than a quarter inch groove in the Crank Journal...It was funny then being in this really nice freshly painted '69 Camero with Racing stripes looking all fast but having this slow *** stock350 truck motor with a severe knocking noise.

Here's a pic of his car now...its pretty cool (even though its a Chevy ) Sorry its not Mopar related....

Now its got a 550hp 327 running 13-1 Compression with Camelback heads and a .509 lift/292 duration"Drag Use Only Cam" (as listed in Jegs)and yes this caris street driven thanks in part from throwing in laquer thinner to get the octane up for the 13-1 compression. He built the motor himself with the exception of the crank and rod balencing.

People complain of getting "High" when they follow him due to the fumes from laquer thinner being burnt. Those side pipes on the car aren't those cheesy ones, they are full header sidepipes with a 5 inch exit on each sideand pretty much straight through. He raced a guy with a 5 speed 80's Camero and the guy in the 80's Camero missed a shift when my brothers '69Camero uncorked 550hp right next to him at 25mph launch. This car will catch rubber shifting into 4th Gear at 100mph. Its fkn crazy especially with 4.11 Gears and his DOT ileagalMicky Thomsondrag slicks. I'm a pretty goodmtx driver but this thing I can't drive worth a ****, You even tap the gas and your doing a circle in the road, it takes severe consentration which I lack at times...lol.

Sorry for going off topic...

Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Aerorat
All Star

Sorry to hear it spud. I really do but it makes me glad that I did do the srt 4 swap

Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 AM
spudsterier
Legend

well i guess that i am gonna keep the car....i will fix the problem over time so hopefully it will be running by spring.....of course, the wife is now saying that if the car is gonna be getting fixed over time then i could always get athe big AGP .50 trim turbo while im at it.....nothing like a 500hp 1st gen
i guess that i wont be so bad....i will take the valve cover off later today and check everything out....then drop the oil pan.. and eventually pull the whole motor and throw it on an engine stand..
i guess i could go for another long project

Old 10-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Dude, I would talk to the machine shop, you had the assemble your motor, didnt you? I would give them hell.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:36 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i actually assembled it....i know it sounds bad...
i wanted the shop that did the block work to assemble it but the guy said they wouldnt do it.....(i wonder why)
when i spun the bearing on the original motor, it was for the #1 piston......the shop was supposed to smooth it down, polish it, and balance it......i wonder if they didnt do the whole job since the rod that knocking is the #1.....

i started ripping the motor apart this morning....tonite im gonna pull off the turbo so i can get redy to rebuild it and im gonna pull of the oil pan...
tomorrow i might order some larger bearings and throw them in....see what happens...it cant get uch worse then i alredy think it is

Quick Reply: very very very disappointing day