1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

kinda confused about oil troubles...VIDEO IS UP RIGHT NOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: kinda confused about oil troubles...uploading video right now...

lash adjusters never even heard of it.. but could it be that simple???

Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

ok update i started up the neon today and it was about a quart low of oil and

oil that leaks pastpiston rings orvalve guides and gets into you cylinder will burn on the power stroke. a small amount is normall but once you get puffs of white smoke coming from you exhaust large amounts of oilare leaking past seals and burning.
when i revved it it there was lots of white smoke but i dont know if it was jst cuz it was cold out side but im pretty sure it was smoke.. so what you think im looking at in fixing this engine????

how many shop hours in the rebuild?? first what all do i need to get and what should i get while the engine is apart?
i know im gonna get the 100k tune up and a new head but im not sure about the performance cam yet im thinking about it though ( it said 14 whp gains but you cant always believe what it says becuz those little resisters say they add 20 hp so am i looking at a true 14 whp gain??)

so help me out

Old 12-07-2007, 01:14 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

ok with cams its much more true then with "that chip" but it all depends on your supporting mods...ie...cai, long tube header, 55-60mm tb, it can be up to 14hp but you also have to realize that just 5hp oh these small engines is alot you can tell. Remember how you could tell a difference just in your atx tb, you will notice a cam even more...

You could probally get away with just sending the block to the machine shop getting it tumbled (cleaned) honed, balanced, and your crank re balanced. I know in Great Falls, there charging...
[*] 50 for the block to be cleaned[*]72 for4 cylinders honed[*]50 for the crank to be re balanced[*] 75 for the balancing of the block
thats 247 to get the block ready for a re-build.
Then...
179 + acual shipping for the rebuilt head
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-0-2...em120193573041

259 for your crane 158-0010 cam
421 for the engine rebuild kit comes with timing belt water pump tentioners pistons rings rods head bolt set and all gaskets

really the only thing else you would need is assembaly (sp) lube. And someone to build your motor...Hell if you pay me 150 ill come down there to build it not that hard and done it before.

grand total 1106 without me putting it together....

your better off looking for a motor in a junk yard....imo

And like others said Go with the 2.4 N/A swap. Motors cost about the same at a junk yard and you will be happy with the tq

Old 12-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Last time walmart changed my oil i checked it 2 days later and i lost over a quart. Looked all over and couldent see any leaks. Come to find out it was my sending unit, it was leaking and it was shooting oil all over where i couldent see it. To may bad things happen to me when i get my oil changed specially at walmart, i do it myself now. My old neon sounded like that and i always thought it was something in the around the valves. Isnt there like a metal sheild in there? maybe thats hitting off something?

Old 12-08-2007, 03:58 PM
hnda8r
Captain

Heres a hint, now listen carefully now.......change your own oil.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: hnda8r

Heres a hint, now listen carefully now.......change your own oil.
Seriously, I mean I can understand for people that dont have the tools or time, but even if I fit into that catagory I would NEVER trust my car to a wal-mart or jiffy lube type place. At the very least I would go to something like a valvoline instant oil change place, they have a much better reputation. But next time boxer, take 10 minutes, a jack, filter wrench, 9/16 wrench, and a few rags and change it yourself

Old 12-09-2007, 03:08 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

yeah i was in the middle of no were in Oklahoma i didnt know were any places were and walmart was right across the street..

Old 12-09-2007, 02:43 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

so how hard is it to change out piston rings?? do i have to get new pistons??

im thinking im gonna take it to a shop and tell them to fix it and ill make payments on it.. becuz i really know nothing about it and i really miss driveing it..

im figureing im looking at a decent price to get it fixed.. i might just take up 95-96s offer of course i would pay you more then 150 cuz it would prolly cost more then that just getting it here. the only problem is i dont have a garage, but one of my friends has one.(he helped me fix all the body work which is broken again) how good are you on engines 95-96?? would you be able to help me with changing piston rings, timing belt and tensioner, water pump, head.. and all that good stuff? only problem im looking at is what if i do all this work on it and thne it still doesnt fix it,, im out all this money to find out the problem isnt fixed were as if i took it to a shop its there job to fix it and if they dont then they have to redoo it and if i get it back unfixed and i have to pay, ill sue them

Old 12-09-2007, 02:46 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

i know im not getting a turbo anytime soon know but what is wrong with these turbo kits?? they are really cheap...

http://www.turbo-kits.com/srt4_turbo_kits.html

Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

The one with 82,000 miles on it looks pretty good, I would personally just grab a used low mileage motor, slap a new timing belt, water pump, and tensioner on it while it is out of the car, then drop her right in.

Quick Reply: kinda confused about oil troubles...VIDEO IS UP RIGHT NOW