Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

To sell or not to sell...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To sell or not to sell...

Alright, as some of you know my neon has not been on the road for almost 2 years now, had it running last year for about 15 minutes total after doing the head gasket and timing belt, then she just up and quit on me. I have about $500 invested into it for the head gasket job I did, then for all the parts I replaced trying to get spark out of her, then the brake line that burst while it was in the garage. I really want to get her running but I am just plain stumped, I would like to spend maybe $200 bucks to have it towed to a mechanic and have him diagnose it, but I do not have the money and my mother does not want to put the money into it. I was just talking about it with my father and he says sell it, then run far away, but I do not want to. Its a 97 4dr. SOHC, ATX, new head gasket, timing belt, water pump, cam sensor, wiring harness (not new but used), plugs, coil pack, wires, brand new (less than 1000 miles) Dayton 185/65/14 tires, needs a new front bumper, and fender from fender bender but is still drivable (if it ran, LOL!). So, who thinks I should get some money and take it to the mechanic, worst comes to worse im only out $200 bucks tops (not including my pride when handing the mechanic the keys), Sell it as is (what would you give me??), or part it out? If I were able to get it running, it could be used as a second car for us (sister keeps complaining about the 14 mpg in her Dakota, lol), we could get about $30 a month taken off of her insurance, when she has to trade her truck in in august she could drive it until she gets a new car, and I would REALLY like to have it as my camaro is only going to get about 11 mpg[:@]

Old 01-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: To sell or not to sell...

Name:  Picture036.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  229.2 KB

Old 01-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Looks like a nice car. Do you have towing insurance? Maybe get it and take it off when your done? I like midas for a shop here. But only because i know them. I would NEVER take my car to a shop where i dont know anyone. Whats wrong just no spark? I would just keep messing with it see if you can get it running. You put alot of work and money it it. Dont give up that easy. I have been trying to get this damn neon, i did a engine swap in, running for about a month now. From time to time. But i wont give up on it until its running. Thats just me. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:59 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok...here is the thing....
the car isnt too bad looking, but if it doesnt run, dont plan on getting too much money out of it...maybe a couple hundred bucks....maybe..

if you like the car enough, then your just gonna kick yourself in the *** if you get ride of it

Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

keep it. fix it when you can.that car looks real nice and you have all those new parts in it. if you were to sell it, not running, you are only going to get maybee 300-500. you know if it were running you could get 1500+

Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon

Looks like a nice car. Do you have towing insurance? Maybe get it and take it off when your done? I like midas for a shop here. But only because i know them. I would NEVER take my car to a shop where i dont know anyone. Whats wrong just no spark? I would just keep messing with it see if you can get it running. You put alot of work and money it it. Dont give up that easy. I have been trying to get this damn neon, i did a engine swap in, running for about a month now. From time to time. But i wont give up on it until its running. Thats just me. Good luck.
My old neighbor has a mechanic that she trusts, I think I will talk to him. If you didnt see my previous posts, there is no spark, no input from the black/grey and blue/tan wires that come from the PCM. 12v supply is good, just nothing to time the thing and give it fire [&:] I have replaced the PCM with a salvage yard one (this is what I keep going back to, it did not work so I took it back, I am wondering if I got a pcm as bad as mine.), wiring harness, cam sensor, crank sensor (replaced with a new one, didnt work, so I took it back and got my $45 bucks.), plugs twice, wires, coil pack, no codes (key or with my scanner), checked the timing belt to see if it was out of time but it was dead on. I am getting fuel just like normal but she wont fire.

ORIGINAL: spudsterier
ok...here is the thing....
the car isnt too bad looking, but if it doesnt run, dont plan on getting too much money out of it...maybe a couple hundred bucks....maybe..

if you like the car enough, then your just gonna kick yourself in the *** if you get ride of it
That is how I see it exactly, the only problem is the car is not in my name. They way my mother sees it is that it is just another money pit, in a way I cannot really blame her, but I do not see what another $200 bucks is if it would get the car running. I do really like the car and would HATE to have to sell it as a parts car or part it out, but if need be...

And the car would not be worth 1500+ because of the damage to the pass. front, maybe 1000 If I found the right buyer... However if I kept it I would do the body work to it and paint up the fender and bumper. The corner of the hood got a little bent too but I think it is fixable rather than buying a new hood.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

hey Jr., if you do end up selling it, i might be interested.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

How much do you think you would offer? Seeing as how you are just down in C-bus, it would not be too hard for you to get it...

Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 PM
spudsterier
Legend

do you hear the fuel pump kick on????
does the check engine light pop on when you turn the ignition on???

Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 AM
neonracer1010
All Star

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

do you hear the fuel pump kick on????
does the check engine light pop on when you turn the ignition on???
what would that have to do with spark tho?

Quick Reply: To sell or not to sell...