1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Interesting find (Radiator)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting find (Radiator)

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my radiator was leaking at the top where the little sign is cautioning you that the fans can turn on at any second. So I got one from a buddy of mine that was from a 97 auto. I obviously didn't need the cooler lines so i bought some hose and just looped it. Turns out that one of the nipples was missing a nut that secures it and keeps the radiator from leaking. So I went to the pick a part and pulled some from a 95 auto radiator. I get home and they don't fit. They are too small. I know the 95 is a different creature and all, but to change the size of the nuts is just crazy. I don't have a lot of free time, so I had to wait a few more days till I could go back and pull some more nuts.

I got what I needed and put it all together and the ACR is back on the road .

Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Default RE: Interesting find (Radiator)

maybe it was an aftermarket radiator

Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awww Das guess your not perfect after all

Old 02-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Slashwannabe

Last year whenI first got my car on the road I noticed the radiator was leaking so I took it out and installed a radiator from a parts95 me and my brotherstripped the night beforefor my 98, well what I did to make it fit was turn the top radiator mounts upside down and that gave it the reach to hold the radiator in place and its held till about a exactly a week ago when I had got time to install a brand spanking new radiator that I bought from a member on here namedmichakaveli after my radiator sprung a leak that leaked out all its contents in the 4 miles from Wal Mart to my house since I threw a whole new jug in. If I was going to blow a head gasket that night was the night the motor had no antidreeze in it for about 10 minutes.

I had toget it off the highway so I started it up for brief periods and coasted and did that for 10-15 minutes till I got to Wal Mart so I could get Anti Freeze(Some people say coasting is bad but Mopars since the 1960s used a rear transmission pump activated by the drive shaft or drive axels which will lube the trans weather motor is running or not!, trannyinstaller might debate this but he's wrong if he does). So when I got home I got the radiator out anddecided to install the new one finally because I had no other choice. I openedIt and itwas packed very good and even vaccum sealed was very impressed came with all thehardware so it was a painless transition back to the 98 style radiator where allI had to do is flip the top radiator mounts back up in their original position from the way I had them to adjust to the 95 mounts. I think he has more radiator stuff so if anybody needs anything he's your guy. Highly recomended. If anybody needs stuff his email is michakaveli@gmail.com, just ask he might have more stuff.

The best part is he sold me the radiator brand spanking new in the box and shipped it to my house for $50. The Junk Yards by me wanted $60 for a used one.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

maybe it was an aftermarket radiator
Nope it was definitely stock.

The crazy thing is my brother-in-laws neon started leaking from the same spot about a week later.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
spudsterier
Legend

its amazing all the differences between cars from the 1st year to the rest....
i wonder wehat else thats small has changed

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
das2123
Legend

^^^That is what I was thinking also.

I just wanted to share in case anyone else goes to a yard looking for something you would think would not change between the years.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

reminds me of this http://blogsap.files.wordpress.com/2...e_you_know.jpgfrom way back in the day i can remeber this

Old 02-20-2008, 07:52 PM
spudsterier
Legend

kinda like the aluminum bracket that seems to only be in the 97 neons center console

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM
das2123
Legend

Oddly, yes it is!

Quick Reply: Interesting find (Radiator)