1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What about nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 PM
brushedchrome
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about nitrous?

A lot of talk about turbos and what have you, but what about nitrous? Not a good idea? That seems to be the cheapest way to put horses to the wheels. I would guess that it fries an engine plenty fast, but dont know for sure. Anybody with first hand experience?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 PM
jasonraces
Default RE: What about nitrous?

im currently running a 125 shot with no problems but i have different pistons and misc. other upgrades, but i did run 75 stock with 140,000 miles for months with no problems until i upped it to 150 and blew a ring but at 75 or 50 i hit it at least 100 times filled it 13 times with no problems whatsoever

Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

How does it do? Does it really give it a kick in the ***? Also, how does it work? Do you have to press a button and it gives a shot for a pre determined length of time? Or does it go off after being activated and the car reaching a certain rpm?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:15 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

On a stock neon you should only be doing a 50 shot if your a novice...

theres a few different ways to activate the nos... we will go over the basics...

1) the happy button... this method was made famous in movies like fast and the furious... hit a switch to turn everything on (saftey switch) then press a button and go...

2.) wide open throttle switch...
A) brands like nos sell a switch you acually have to install below your pedal so when the pedal is fully depressed it activates the nos... however you will still have a saftey on off switch so it doesent go off in everyday driving...
B) brands like ZEX come with a computer that monitors your throtle positon sensor and activates it when neccicary...

3) the most expensive is a nos controller this can be set up to do a duel stage of nitous or have it come on gradually or set perimiters when you want it to come on...

In my opinion the wet kit from ZEX is the best thing in the world for novices... it moniters your fuel and A/F ratio and will not let you run nos if your leaning out and adds the right amount of fuel to the nos... theres no way to run lean and blow your motor up and it also monitors tank pressure and will not let you spray if your bottle is emtey...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

This is the kit I was talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-A...235754062&

Q: What is the difference between a "wet" nitrous kit and a "dry" nitrous kit?
A: A wet nitrous kit mixes nitrous and enrichment fuel by means of an injector nozzle that is mounted before the throttle body. This mixture is then drawn into the engine through the throttle body and intake manifold. A "dry" nitrous kit injects only nitrous with it’s injector while at the same time, increasing the engine’s fuel rail pressure to feed enrichment fuel through the engine’s own injectors.
Q: What is better, a "wet" or "dry" kit?
A: It all depends on the application. A "wet" kit is ideal for both normally aspirated applications as well as forced induction applications. It can require a little bit more installation time than a "dry" kit, but is easier to tune if greater than stock HP settings are to be experimented with. A "dry" kit is excellent for normally aspirated combinations that have a return style fuel system. They are very easy to install and are a great "first time" nitrous system. It is not recommended that "dry" systems be used on forced induction engines.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

Cool. This is sounding like something I can do. The wet setup sounds like it would work just fine. All I have to do is get my Benelli M1 sold and away we go!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

talk to spud he buys all types of vehicles all the time and has some pretty interesting stuff too...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

The Benelli is an Italian auto loading 12 ga shotgun. If anybody in here knows of anyone that might be interested in it, I have it listed on Gunbroker and can give a link to it, or it could be sold outright if there are no bids on it. That is whats holding all of my fun money right now. It needs to happen so I can start making some horse power!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

shows what i know... sounds like a motorcycle... lol

Quick Reply: What about nitrous?