1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

atx kick down

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default atx kick down

so i have been driving my little white/blue neon the past few days and it really sux...
it was sitting in sumone yard for about 4 years before i bought it and now it runs great, but the kick down is frozen up...
this is the 3rd atx neon ive had in my lifetime with this problem....the other 2 i was able to get freed up with alot of pb blaster and working it a bit with pliers....but this one i can get to budge
i noticed the lever on the tranny was frozen up when i started taking the car apart, so i have just been driving it without the lever hooked up whick causes the car to shift into 2nd gear at 20mph and slip when shifting into 3rd gear at 25mpg...no matter how much gas you give the car, thats when it always shifts...
anyways

i have another tranny i can throw in the car, but with my shoulder as messed up as it is right now, i dont think i will be able to get to it any time soon...so..is there a way i can fix it with the tranny still in the car? like the valve body, does that connect through the tranny to where the shifter cable hook on or anything?

i hopesumone understands what im talking about, i just wanna get it fixed without removing the tranny

Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
JackMehoffer69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: atx kick down

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

so i have been driving my little white/blue neon the past few days and it really sux...
it was sitting in sumone yard for about 4 years before i bought it and now it runs great, but the kick down is frozen up...
this is the 3rd atx neon ive had in my lifetime with this problem....the other 2 i was able to get freed up with alot of pb blaster and working it a bit with pliers....but this one i can get to budge
i noticed the lever on the tranny was frozen up when i started taking the car apart, so i have just been driving it without the lever hooked up whick causes the car to shift into 2nd gear at 20mph and slip when shifting into 3rd gear at 25mpg...no matter how much gas you give the car, thats when it always shifts...
anyways

i have another tranny i can throw in the car, but with my shoulder as messed up as it is right now, i dont think i will be able to get to it any time soon...so..is there a way i can fix it with the tranny still in the car? like the valve body, does that connect through the tranny to where the shifter cable hook on or anything?

i hopesumone understands what im talking about, i just wanna get it fixed without removing the tranny
Spud all you need is a new valve body, that has the kick down allready on it, sometimes they get frozen, I just so happen to have an unfrozen one. that kick down shaft is connected to the valve body and you can remove it from under the car through the pan its not too bad of a job just make sure u don't overtighten the pan bolts.. I speak from expirence lol. This is ALOT easier than removing the tranny, the only thing is that mine is from a 98 Neon which may screw with your 95's electronics and you would have to mod your nuetral safety switch.

I can get you a pic of how it looks soon, once you see it you'll see how easy the job is, the hardest part is to make sure those little steal ***** stay in position so make note on yours and be careful before you take it out as to where each steal ball sits.

Theres 2 pieces that make up the main valve body assembly a top and bottum piece that sandwich small steal *****.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
JackMehoffer69

I guess i only can find the bottum plate of the valve body I'm sure I'll find the piece with the kick down soon, but if you take yours out theres a good possibility you can unfreeze yours by soaking it in a transmission fluid and gasoline mix and carefully working it.

The top piece of thevalve body that has the kick down and shifter all in one will drop out from the bottum.

Heres what the assembly looks like.....

Drops out from the bottum exactly like that once you remove the bottum part of the valvebody that houses the small steel *****.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
spudsterier
Legend

ok cool...thats what i needed to know...
i know how to change them, i just didnt know if the kickdown shaft would come with it
i have a good tranny sitting in my garage that im gonna take the valve body out of, just wanted to make sure that it would solve my problem before i go through all the work....looks like a project for this weekend....if my shoulder feels up to it[&:]

Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 AM
neonracer1010
All Star

bet ya ur saving *** load of gas though

Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
spudsterier
Legend

yeah....i can floor it and it takes so much to get it up to speed, but it sux that the car shifts into 2nd at 20mph and 3rd at 25mph....it just sux...
the thing i do like about this car is that it will spin the tires from a dead stop

Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

the thing i do like about this car is that it will spin the tires from a dead stop
LOL Glad to hear!

If you had the transmission out on a bench it would take like 10 minutes to swap the valvebody over, but in the car its like 45 minutes but still easier and quicker than a whole transmission job!

Also keep your battery tray loose so you can fine tune your kick down adjustment bolt. Stock is around 3 turns out from tight but with wear factored in might be closer to 2 1/2 but you can try what works best, if done properly first gear should shift to second gear at around 55mph (5800 Rpm) and second gear into 3rd at 83mph, allthough I prefer to hold second gear up to 95mph in a race or extreme need of speed so second shifting at 83mph isn't a big deal.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i remember all the shift points and everything...the 1st 3 neons i ever owned were auto's and the 4 my wife has owned were all autos

i think im gonna tackle this job tomorrow...if i can get a new trans filter in time

Quick Reply: atx kick down