1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 Expresso VS 03 Grand prix gt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 PM
hemi_newman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had good luck with my 3.4 in my 2001 grand am....also the 318 in my old dakota made it to 240,000miles before the transmission went out on it..man i miss that truck

Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

whew! thats more chevy crap than I wanted to know! I thought we were here to talk about neons or at least dodge. I dont care what anyone says, I've had bad experiences with GM.

Chevy Celebrity w/ 2.5 iron duke = thrown rod
Pontiac 6000 w/ iron duke = random engine death (stranded my dad)
Pontiac Grand Am w / iron duke = timing gear broke (stranding me)
Cutlas Ciera w/ 3800 = timing chain failure/thrown rod 2ft from engine/tranny fried
another Pontiac Grand Am w/iron duke = gave to brother, and he blew it up

Oh and my Pontiac Trans Am 1985 305 4bbl which couldn't do a burn out to save its life, needed 700r4 rebuild and after I sold it, got beat by my Grand Am wtf?!

Those are only the ones I've driven or rode in, not to mention the many GM's that died on other family members. I've had a bad run with GM, nuff said.

My W200 ran from Chicago to South Bend, with no oil no alternator and in one of the worst blizards I've seen. And STILL out lasted every singe GM pos we've owned. My Ford bronco, found out in a replaced the engine and is still running to this day. My Dodge neon picked up for $1200 wiping the floor with GM's Regal (tho it was catching up) and gets 25 mpg with my foot in it half the time. I dont even want to mention my mustang, jus check out the cardomain site. That 13.9 it ran in the quarter was not with turbo or funnel web, or the cam. Just a 4bbl and a stick...

That pontiac was a slouch, even with the flowmaster cat-back deleted smog pump..

Last edited by spudsterier; 04-17-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had my share of bad times with dodge, but still only buy chrysler products

my first 95 neon = broke timing belt 5 days after i bought the car....blew another motor, but that was because i drove through water
my wifes 1st neon = motor just locked up out of no where
1st 98 r/t = broke a rod at 115mph (just imagine the damage), threw the diff pin on my way home from maryland so i was straded in pennsylvania and had to sleep in my car for 3 days until my dad could come and pick me up, also blew out 2 more trannys but cant remember why.
my red r/t = spun a rod bearing on the stock motor, fried the trans and clutch (before the turbo), not even going to get into the turbo motor problem again
my white neon i have now = 30,000 miles on a motor with horrible piston slap, people actually make comments that it sounds like a diesel....havent changed the oil in 20,000 miles becuase it burns 4 quarts a week, and replaced the alternator
the neon my wife drives now = replaced head gasket, 2 water pumps, timing belt, 2 crank sensors, ATX valve body, 2 radiators, and tons of little stuff...and the car still has problems
our old 2001 pt cruiser = had electrical problems, rear suspension problems, head gasket was going out, all before 70,000 miles

Last edited by spudsterier; 04-17-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

thats alot of misfortune caused by my beloved neons, maybe if I had that many dodges crap out on me maybe I'd be anti dodge as well. Consider this GM vs Dodge dispute squashed on my end. Course now I wont have anything left to talk about lol

Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

I like my gms... my truck suffered the normal chevy small block thrust/main bearing failure... and locked up on me on the way to work... still love the truck though... i had a 91 s10 blazer with a tbi 4.3 in it before that... beat the hell out of it and it took every once... motor was weak and worn but she started and ran everyday.. never left me anywhere... then i bought my wifes van... needless to say i'll never own another gm minivan... me and my dad took the heads off and replaced the headgaskets and everything on up from there... even had the heads redone just cause the 3.4 are known for the headgasket wanted to replace before they failed... 124k on it you could still see the factory crosshatching in the cly bores... didn't even have a lip at all around the holes... put her back together and 4k miles later throws a rod bearing out of no where... and i won't even get started on the stupid electrical problems that the thing has had... i've had two altimas one auto and one manual... raced both all the time at the local drag strip both had minor issues like alternator and distributors but other then that both were the best vehicles i've ever had.. sold the auto altima to my buddy and he's still driving it... the 5spd is in a junkyard somewhere thanks to some guy pulling out in front of my wife... then bought a 94 sentra... 1.6 5spd... nice lil car 43mpg in the summer just to damn small to do anything other then haul me to work and back so sold it to my dad and i bought my 97 neon... for 500 bucks need a timing belt water pump and spark plugs... 130 bucks in parts later and 3 hrs worth of work and i got a great lil car... pulls right around 30mpg mainly highway miles and i drive her pretty hard so not to bad..

Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLXRustang
thats alot of misfortune caused by my beloved neons, maybe if I had that many dodges crap out on me maybe I'd be anti dodge as well. Consider this GM vs Dodge dispute squashed on my end. Course now I wont have anything left to talk about lol
i still buy only dodge/chrysler products and that the way it will always be. i just cant bring myself to buy a chevy or ford and truly enjoy driving it.....

Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 PM
JKONKS

Originally Posted by spudsterier
i still buy only dodge/chrysler products and that the way it will always be. i just cant bring myself to buy a chevy or ford and truly enjoy driving it.....
I will second to that. thats what its all about, enjoying what you drive

Quick Reply: 99 Expresso VS 03 Grand prix gt?