1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:54 PM
95neoncoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering springs

I have a 95 neon sport coupe. I have been looking around at lowing kits and i dont know what ones to get. Can ayone tell me which drop coils are the best to get or what ones that they like. Thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Well it all depends on what you want from you neon, and your suspension setup. I say this, because my neons have mostly all been lowered with eibach sportlines, which have also worn out most of my struts. This is the result of using old lowering springs which sag a bit further. Buying new I'd suggest mopar high rate lowering springs, that actually come in several degrees of firmness.

This is taken from ACRucrazy, comparing mopar x high rate, high rate, and stock acr coil springs:
Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
I had the rare opportunity to shoot some pics of all my springs together at once so I did that while I could.
Incase you ever get a set you are not sure about, notice the numbers of coils. Sorry no part numbers.

And another of Hi Rate VS X Hi Rate - X hi has the blue tape. Rears on the left, fronts on the right.

The acr springs are a little stiffer spring rates over stock. They are the same ride hight however.
I believe Stock rates are 140 front lbs, 110 lbs rear.
ACR rate are 150 front 120 rear.

I could be wrong, that is just from memory.

Mopar X Hi rate is 310 front, 230 rear?
Mopar Hi rate is 225 front 185 rear?

If I am wrong on any of those feel free to correct me.
For the most part, any lowering springs made by a reputable manufacturer is going to do the same job (Eibach, Mopar, Skunk2, Goldline, etc). Ride heights are all going to be in the same ball park area of 1 inch drop to about 1.8 inch drop. The further the drop, the lower the center of gravity becomes. Car will handle like mad. The trade off is that your suspension will bare the brunt of this load. Translation; you run a good chance of wering out your struts faster, depending on their condition at the time of installation. It you really do not plan on dropping the car to the floor your stock struts should be fine. Anything past 1.5 inches, an upgrade of struts should be included. Roads around here are decently bumpy at times, and some eibach sportlines have killed my struts in two weeks flat. Koni struts are a great component to use in your car, but they come at a price. Considering the price new, most spend another $175 (+/-) and get BC coilovers from moderperformance.com. which come with everything you need. The best setup for a neon IMHO. Dan may say differently (local friend), but he is running a 95 acr with stock acr springs, koni struts, and factory rear sway. A very good setup as well, and at stock ride height those koni struts should last a very long time.

All in all, for better suspension life and cheaper shopping, keep the suspension height close to stock. If you have the coin, just add better struts.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are going just for look than the Eibach Sportlines would be fine. If you want it just lowered ever so slightly but have a really stiff ride, than high rates would work, the Mopar high-rates though are no longer made so if you want Mopar than you would need to buy them used from someone.

http://www.neongoodies.com/Goodies/L..._Springs.shtml

He has them listed as lowering springs but they are pretty much high rates.

If you upgrade to high rates though, I would highly suggest getting Koni struts or at least KYB GR-2's. Otherwise with lowering you could make them work with just about any. Just a word of advise, when using lowering springs, your struts won't last as long as they would with normal OEM springs.

I bought some Goldline lowering springs and I must say, I hate lowering springs and I wish I got highrates.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Rick_021808

Is there any other springs besides the ACR that are stiffer but near the stock ride height? The springs on my car feel really soft(could be wore out too). I dont want to lower it cause we do get lots of snow and dont want to have to replace struts as often. Also is there any way of telling the differance between ACR and a stock neon? Tried looking around and everywhere I look say it is just a base model with no options. (sorry if this is a Newb question, all I can find are lowering springs though)

Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rick_021808
Is there any other springs besides the ACR that are stiffer but near the stock ride height? The springs on my car feel really soft(could be wore out too). I dont want to lower it cause we do get lots of snow and dont want to have to replace struts as often. Also is there any way of telling the differance between ACR and a stock neon? Tried looking around and everywhere I look say it is just a base model with no options. (sorry if this is a Newb question, all I can find are lowering springs though)
other than the acr springs I dont think there is any way to get a stiffer ride without getting coilovers by Eibach which can easly run you over a thousand dollars. if you do lower it without coilovers use the KYB-GR2's on a budget or you can get the Koni's if your willing to spend the cash.
thinking about it why not lower it? even though you get a lot of snow where you live don't mean much. cities that have lots of snow are general prepared for the snow anyways.
I know where your comming from when you say you get lots of snow, I used to live in Alaska but the snow never stayed on the road for more than a few hours.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Rick_021808

Originally Posted by DOHCgarrett t3
other than the acr springs I dont think there is any way to get a stiffer ride without getting coilovers by Eibach which can easly run you over a thousand dollars. if you do lower it without coilovers use the KYB-GR2's on a budget or you can get the Koni's if your willing to spend the cash.
thinking about it why not lower it? even though you get a lot of snow where you live don't mean much. cities that have lots of snow are general prepared for the snow anyways.
I know where your comming from when you say you get lots of snow, I used to live in Alaska but the snow never stayed on the road for more than a few hours.
I live in Edmonton Alberta, I know last year the city did a lousy job plowing cause they were trying to save money, there was like over a foot of snow on some of the side streets for weeks, and even main roads they took there time and only plowed 1 1/2 lanes out of 2. I owned a Cobalt SS few years ago(had to sell due to financial problems) with LSD and winterforce tires and i never had a problem plowing through deep snow, it had the factory lowered suspension but i dont know this neon seems like alot smaller of a car, if I had really good tires i should be fine, even lowered, but would probably be better off at stock ride height. I just cant stand how soft the suspension is. do you know what springs give you the least amount of lowering? Its more of a beater so I dont need to be able to handle doing 140km/h around corners... just want it to have a bit stiffer ride for as cheap as possible. Junkyard ACR's is probably what i need just cant find any yet...

Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 PM
streetracer88
All Star

you can check out ksport springs,megan racing springs never buy dropzone springs they are cheap but they are garbage i run with megan racing springs and its a pretty stiff ride and it has a aggressive look to it after

Old 06-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Neongreg88
Rookie

i bot 2.5 ibock springs with kyb struts its slamed looks good and handles like a dream also hels if u got a rear sturt bar and a frount one

Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Rick_021808

I installed SRT4 springs and it lifted it about 1.5" and actual handles close to same as stock but now can go over rail road tracks and potholes/dips in road with out bottoming out or having to slow down lots. Its a beater so i could care less about lowering it, if anything higher is better for more clearance when we get a foot of snow in the winter, plus the added suspension travel. I was going to go with ACR's just for a stiffer spring but got these srt4 springs for free.

Quick Reply: lowering springs