TTI lth with thermal barrier,
No cat at the moment.
2.25" piping and
sport mufler.
I run stock ecu.
Tires: 205/50-15 Dunlop SP01,
Kyb Gr-2 with Eibach springs.
Mpx semi solid boble strut.

I have resently been finished with my mild engine buildt, and have tried some 1/4 mile runs.
Well, I did not have any ideas what the ET time whould be.
Originaly I ran 16.9 on 195/50-15 Kuhmo tires.
Now I had my best ET 15.6 and 88 mph.
I have some problems with wheel spin.
Is this a good time for this setup?

On highway it feels a bit slow in 5. gear.
50 - 75 mph in 4. gear take allmost 9 sec. That is not good at all

What have I done wrong?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt crane #12 a turbo grind? Do you have aftermarket valve springs? I ran 14.6 with dohc pistons, 95 cam, long tube header, 2nd gen indy intake, UDP, mopar ecu. I seen stock neons run 15's. But this depends on a lot of factors. If your setup isnt tuned, that is your problem. You have a sohc head? I would use a magnum head or port the crap out of it so you can make power up top. Porting will wake it up a lot if you haven't done it yet. Tire spin can cost you a lot of time also, suspension and traction upgrades will help you off the line which will help your overall mph and time.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Trialmaster
Professional

I have crane valve springs, and some porting on the exhaust side.
3 angle valve job and decked .030
My total weight is 3033 pounds. Just me weights 290 haha
This 15.6 time is on regular asphalt, not warm up tires and a stopwatch.

We hav no RT heads in Norway, so I have to stick with what I have.

I havent ran it on a Dyno yet. I suppose I have to do that, and tune it wright. They may flash the ecu allso.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Trialmaster
Professional

To compare, my brothers 1999 bmw 325 ix touring with 2.5 litre and 192 hp runs 16.4 on the same strip. He has no wheel spin at all. Before I installed the lth, I ran 16.1, so it helped a lot with a lth

Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Yea they are not horrible times. I seen neons run 17's before with some bolt ons. I dont think they can flash the neon computers. You could try an AFX or Mopar ecu, adjustable regulator (with spool boy mod), and an SAFC. This will allow you to have control over the fuel. Timing should be fine if you got the fuel to back it up. But if you swap to megasquirt and find someone to tuen it, that would wake it up a lot. Wideband is key for monitoring the motor, well worth the investment. Also consider bolting on a DOHC head. They can be found on 95-99 stratus 2.4 motors ad 95-99 dohc neons. After my share of modding the sohc's and dohc's I stand by the dohc's.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:41 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

A tune will drop your times because I'd bet you're running lean.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by buddhaman
A tune will drop your times because I'd bet you're running lean.
There is a fine line where lean makes more power. A tune to allow his flow mods to actually work and make power, shouldn't make it run slower. On top of that he will get launch control, better rev limiter, better power bands, and so on. I wouldn't of invested all this money in calibrated, chipped, stand alone computers if it made my cars slower. Another benefit is the car will run much smoother and safer. I bet that a professional tune will indeed make the car faster.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Trialmaster
Professional

So, you guys thing I'm running a bit Lean.
I have an E85 controler I can connect between the computer and the injectors. When you are running on E85, it will force the injectors to open a bit longer to make proper A/F ratio. I assume this will work with my mods when I runs on regular 95 octane.
We have 98 octane here in Norway too. Will that make things better?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Trialmaster
Professional

Originally Posted by I_Ride_Neon
Yea they are not horrible times. I seen neons run 17's before with some bolt ons. I dont think they can flash the neon computers. You could try an AFX or Mopar ecu, adjustable regulator (with spool boy mod), and an SAFC. This will allow you to have control over the fuel. Timing should be fine if you got the fuel to back it up. But if you swap to megasquirt and find someone to tuen it, that would wake it up a lot. Wideband is key for monitoring the motor, well worth the investment. Also consider bolting on a DOHC head. They can be found on 95-99 stratus 2.4 motors ad 95-99 dohc neons. After my share of modding the sohc's and dohc's I stand by the dohc's.
That AFX stuff, whats that all about. Rumors says that it has no longer raised rpm limiter, do to some american regulations?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Trialmaster
That AFX stuff, whats that all about. Rumors says that it has no longer raised rpm limiter, do to some american regulations?
I was honestly unaware they still made them. Never heard of this. I had a mopar ecu for a sohc with a 7,800 rev limiter. Had a dohc afx that was like 8,800. You can use a dohc ecu on a sohc BTW. Give it a hair more fuel and timing. I am not 100% on this but I think the stock neon injectors don't have much room to go. Neons use a static fuel pressure, so it limits the small injectors the neon already uses.This is why I mentioned the 1:1 regulator and spool boy mod. You could throw a 2nd fuel regulator in for some more pressure, or get bigger injectors. But who knows what its running, or what it needs. I would suggest a wideband and a knock sensor. Get the fuel on where it needs to be. Then give it timing until your read knock, then back it off a hair. You will need a stand alone like MS to adjust timing. Also AEM FIC thing. Its a piggie back type of deal that uses the stock ECU, then you can adjust it from there. I have a friend running it and he said its very easy to wire up and use.

Last edited by I_Ride_Neon; 09-07-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Sohc crane 12 1/4 mile times?