1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

still dont believe me???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006 | 04:36 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Default RE: still dont believe me???

[sm=ummmmokay.gif]

I still just cant belive you, the tach reedings are so low I cant emagine the motor going that fast at such low speeds. My freinds GS-R wich has a rev limit of 8 thousand is atleast 5 when hes at 120, and you my freind are not driving a VTEC car. While it may be possible that you did do as you say, its just so far fetched at this point I dont know what to think.

Still no way in hell you can keep up with a WRX.

One thing is for shure, you seriously need to clean that engine bay

Old 03-04-2006 | 08:43 PM
spudsterier
|
Legend

first off it may have a different pcm but it is still stock, i the one that came with the car burnt out on me one day when i was getting redy to leave work, so i replaced it with the stock one from my other r/t....second off I HAVE EXPLAINED THE TACH PROBLEM MANY TIMES BEFORE... try to see if you can read the pic of my computer that i put up with the curves on it..can you make out some of the numbers on the top graph, the one that says rpm's...it isnt very clear because i wasnt trying to get a pic of that but if you want a better pic i can always do it again...it says the highest rpm the car made was aroung 6200....and thats when the rev-limiter kicked in...and i dont see a reason to clean the engine compartment because this car is a daily driver for work and a drive down gravel roads, so it wouldnt stay clean for long

[IMG]local://upfiles/29901/E8C7F0ADFB64479FA3A9D2133AA25D3A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-04-2006 | 11:09 PM
spudsterier
|
Legend

i really dont care what you guys think anymore so..........what ever

Old 03-04-2006 | 11:40 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

well we never belived you so hey.

Old 03-05-2006 | 01:08 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

well anything is possible in my book... in my original 1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4-door(all stock), my friend was trying to keep up with me when following me one day when I was delivering a VIPER up to Joplin, MO. and he had the a/c on(automatic) and the fastest it would go was 118 then and thats what both the speedo in the VIPER and the neon said on it on a straight flat highway in OK(69). So I could see it being possible to get another 7 or so mph out of a slightly modified neon. Obviously the faster a car goes the more the speedo would demonstrate any inaccuracy that it might have so the actual reading could be off by a few mph and since I have never seen a Neon with a "certified" speedo like what law enforcement vehicles have, this would explain any speed misrepresentation.

Old 03-05-2006 | 06:48 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The R/T's had a higher speed limiter of 130(ish) mph stock (yes, the R/T's DO have a speed limiter, the ACR's were the ones with an unattainable limiter). A Mopar PCM raises it even higher (significantly), and an AFX will eliminate it (well, raise it so high it's impossible to hit it...). At 130 mph with the Performance A tranny (R/T stock tranny), you should be around 5950 rpm on the stock wheels and tires. Very hard to read the rpm's on your screenshot. Looks like you're using the ELM/scantool.net setup? So is that the digimoto program then? It's what I was using before my car was broken into and the unit stolen...

The rev limiter on an stock R/T should kick in at 7200 RPM, not 6200 RPM.. always... The rev limiter does not care what gear you are in. It doesn't even know what gear you are in. If you have something kicking in at 6200 rpm, it's the speed limiter, which puts you around 135 mph on stock diameter tires. I do wish you'd make up your mind which PCM is in that particular car. I do realize you have two different R/T's though...

The stock speedo and tach are notoriously inaccurate. I've seen a brand new '02 be off by nearly 1000 rpm when compared to a scan at 5000 rpm. If you had the aftermarket tach running off the same wire as the factory tach at the same time, chances are neither was accurate and both may now be damaged. Scanner is a much better than the cluster... The speed sensor is run off a gear on the differential, and splits off (on 1st gens), one wire to the PCM for speed, and the other to the instrument cluster. The cluster needle gets positioned based on the voltage signal, but I can pull that needle off and stick it wherever I want. Like most factory gauges, I don't trust the indicated reading very much, regardless of how many cop friends I have... The PCM uses that reading to calculate speed based on the assumption that the stock diameter tires are being used. You have a scantool for PCM readings, so forget the stupid stock speedo... With the 195/60R14's on there, the readout will show 65 mph when the car is actually doing 64.29 mph. When the readout shows 130 mph, the car will actually be doing 128.58 mph. It's a difference of 1.09%, negligible, insignificant.

I believe you. Only a moron believes that it takes a bunch of mods for a Neon to hit 130-135 mph. A '95 SOHC ACR can do it stock, I've seen it.

That all said, street racing and top speed comparisons are juvenile. Find a track and post timeslips.

Old 03-05-2006 | 07:00 PM
spudsterier
|
Legend

me and some frinds are supposed to be goin to a near by track this summer when we get money, then i will post some slips. the car does have a stock pcm, but its not from that car, so it is different...it just snowed out this morning so when it dries i will redo the run and get better pics. it is the elm scantool.net setup, i dont know about the whole digimoto thing but it was done using the isiloscope. but hey at least somone believes me.

Old 03-05-2006 | 09:01 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

If the car is doing over 118 mph on a stock PCM, it's either an R/T or ACR PCM. If it's hitting the rev limiter on a stock PCM at 7200 RPM, it's a DOHC PCM. Since you said it was hitting some kind of limiter at 6200 RPM in 5th, my bet is it's an R/T PCM, no different than what was in there originally.

Check out digimoto.com and see if it's worth your time. It's just a program designed for the scantool.net unit that you pay ofr, as opposed to all the stuf that's free. I used it for "dyno testing" a lot of different things back in the day. Nice to know approximate gains from mods as soon as you put them on without having to set up time at a dyno, especially when 3 dyno runs cost $50 (no changes in between) and the part being tested was $20 or borrowed... Never could find a flat road in CT worth using for more "accurate" results, but 3 HP from a custom ghetto intake mani is still 3 HP... At the strip (NED), the times/mph were spot on with the timeslips (within 0.05 sec and 0.2 mph). Strip calculates final mph differently though...

$20-40 for a day of racing definitely beats the $400+ fines and extra insurance (if your company keeps you) for getting busted racing. Don't even want to think about the costs if someone got hurt or killed. "Open roads" aren't as safe as you might think.

Old 03-05-2006 | 09:41 PM
duster117

"Open roads" aren't as safe as you might think. "
true dat.[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 03-05-2006 | 11:42 PM
spudsterier
|
Legend

i do realize that there is no difference in the pcm thats in the car now and the one that it came with, my point is just that it is not the one that came with the car, so there for it is different. i know open roads arent that safe but where i live you can see for miles and on a ten mile strip of road, you may pass 1 or two houses everything else isjust corn fields and cops dont patrol outside of town much...other then on main roads. the program that i have also has a dynometer and a race strip timer which records different times, just as you would get at a real strip. only might be less reliable, im not sure yet