1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey i need help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:08 PM
olive1465
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey i need help please

Hey i have a 1990 dodge 250 5.9(360)and we just got it back from a small man mechanic because the computer went out on it and now that we have it running it has no low end power and backfires
Thanks
Robbie

Old 11-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Default RE: Hey i need help please

Sounds like it's way out of time.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 PM
olive1465

I wondering if i drive it will it do any damage to it

Old 11-16-2007, 06:52 PM
2NDGOROUND

YOUR TRUCKS TIMING IS COMPUTER CONTROLLED. I SUPPOSED IT POSSIBLE HE PUT THE WRONG COMPUTER IN IT ..I DONT SEE WHY HE WOULD HAVE TO MESS WITH THE DISTRIBUTOR IF THE COMPUTER WAS BAD UNLESS SOMEONE REPLACED THE DISTRIBUTOR BEFORE HAND THINKING THAT WOULD FIX IT....BESIDES IF THE TRUCK RAN FINE BEFORE IT QUIT AND NOW YOU HAVE GOT IT "FIXED" AND IT HAS NO NUTS AND POPS BACK THEN I WOULD NOT CONSIDER IT "FIXED" AND TAKE IT BACK TO HIM.....GIVE US MORE DETAILS,ALL OF THEM AND A TIME LINE .....DO THE TRUCK JUST UP AND QUIT? DID IT RUN LIKE *** BEFORE IT QUIT? DID ANYBODY MESS WITH IT BEFORE THE SHOP REPLACED TO COMPUTER? WAS THE COMPUTER REPLACED A YEAR AGO AND WITHIN THE LAST MONTH IT STARTING RUNNING LIKE ****? DETAILS MAN DETAILS......

Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM
olive1465

We toke it to a small shop and they had the computer rebulit by cardon and it would start up and run for like 30 min and then cut off and not run for a couple days. so we sent computer back to them and they told us there was nothing wrong with the computer and sent it back so we put it in and and it started up and run for like 30 min and then cut off again so i toke it to the dodge place and they told me eyerthing is good except the computer and they also told me that if i tap the computer a couple good time it would start back up it is something that is sticking on the circurt board and it is suppose to pluse. so i went to get the truck and it started up and on my way home i notice it was back firing and had no low end power i had to keep it reved up so it wouldnt stall it has never ran that way before. the truck is a code z on the vin , a manual trans and 5.9L i hope this helps
thanks

Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 PM
2NDGOROUND

I WOULD THINK THE DODGE DEALER WOULD DO MORE THAN TELL YOU TO TAP ON THE COMPUTER...UNLESS YOU TOLD THEM YOU HAD NO MONEY AND THAT YOU DIDN'T WANT TO FIX IT PROPERLY.....AT THE VERY LEAST THEY SHOULD HAVE QOUTED YOU THEY WOULD CHARGE TO FIX IT RIGHT .( I USED TO BE A SERVICE TECH/ ADVISORAT A DEALER HERE IN MONTGOMERY) SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU NEED TO BREAK DOWN AND TAKE THE TRUCK TO EITHER A DIFFERENT DEALER OR A WELL KNOWN, TRUSTED AND KNOWLEDGEABLE MECHANIC IN YOUR AREA AND SPEND THE MONEY TO GET IT FIXED... AND BTW IF YOU SENT THE COMPUTER OFF TO BE FIXED AND THE DEALER SAYS TO COMPUTER HAS SOMETHING IN IT STICKING THEN IT NEED TO GO BACK TO CARDONE!IF YOU HAVE NO MECHANICAL INSIGHT THEN NOTHING OR NO ONE ON THIS FORUM WILL EVER FIX IT...WHEN IT DIES DOES IT LOSE SPARK OR FUEL?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM
olive1465

The dodge dealer said that they dont make it any more so thats way i think they said tap on the computer and when it does cut off it loses spark

Old 11-17-2007, 11:27 AM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a replacement computer and run it,if it runs fine,go back at the persons who worked on the computer with this fact.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

YOUR TRUCKS TIMING IS COMPUTER CONTROLLED
Base timing still has to be set correctly. And turn off the caps; that's shouting on a messsage board, and not too popular.

so i toke it to the dodge place and they told me eyerthing is good except the computer and they also told me that if i tap the computer a couple good time it would start back up it is something that is sticking on the circurt board and it is suppose to pluse.
They actually told you to tap it??? What a bonehead technician. NO manufacturer condones tap testing a PCM;most actually warn that tap testing can and does make good PCM's go bad.

Sounds like you've gotten a bunch of lazy guys that like to think of themselves as mechanics. The odds of two bad PCM's are extremely low. The original problem is going to be something else. I maintain that the worsened driveability of the truck sounds like base timing is way out.

Take it to a competent technician with the proper equipment (scanner and lab scope) and let him figure it out. 19 out of 20 dealer techs are lazy parts changers. The other 1 is a knowledgeable mechanic who has gotten lazy with the availability of known good parts to throw at cars, rather than actually diagnose them.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:09 PM
2NDGOROUND

I DONT MEAN TO YELL....THE PROGRAM WE USE AT WORK IS SET UP TO USE ONLY CAPS AND AFTER SEVEN YEARS IT'S A HARD HABIT TO BREAK....I AGREE WITH SIXTY-SIX GET A TIMING LIGHT AND CHECK THE BASE TIMING ...ALSO CHECK THE HARNESS CONNECTIONS AT THE ECU...LOOK FOR PINS THAT ARE PUSHED BACK FUTHER IN THE PLUG THAN OTHERS ....I HAVE PERSONALLY DEALT WITH THAT ON ANOTHER CAR. I SWAPPED TO A PROGRAMABLE ECU AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CAR WOULD ONLY RUN ON 2 CYLINDERS...SO THEN I SWAPPED BACK TO THE OLD ECU AND THE SAME THING! SO AFTER A HOUR OR SO WITH A OHM METER I FIGURED IT OUT.....SEE IF YOU CAN FIND ECU PIN OUTS EITHER ON LINE OR MAYBE IN A CHILTONS? MANUAL....