1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My truck has a leak i itLeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Jacob1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My truck has a leak i itLeak

My truck has a leak in it. Right on the drivers sids, under the parking brake pedal. This leak has befuddled me for while and i can't FIND IT. I have looked everywhere, the winshield isn't laking and the the vent wing leaks air but the door panel isn't wet. The water just starts on the carpet like the water is coming from underneath, usually only hapens when truck sits nose uphill, which is where i have to park like all the time. so does anyone have this problem or had this problem and knows if these truck ahve tis problem. Like i said i just can't find this leak and if it rains the floor is wet enought to making a squeshy sound when you get in and puddle when you push down on your fingers into it. And also the rear window leaks when on an uphil parking spot for a while. And i don't have any idea how water gathers ther but it leaks enough that if it rains all day the tray behind the seat has about a 1/2 inch deap puddle in it.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:10 PM
PushnFords
Professional
Default RE: My truck has a leak i itLeak

Best way to find it might be to park it in the normal spot and lay on the floorboard with your head under the dash and have someone either pour water on your truck or spray it with a hose. Just have them do one area at a time...through the cowl vents, around the windshield, etc. It is possible that the windshield frame rusts out so it doesn't leak inside but goes through the metal layers of the cab.

Derek

Old 12-24-2007, 10:58 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Water has a funny way of moving so that it isn't always apparent where the leak is by the location of the water. What I'm trying to say, is the leak could be on the passenger side, and running over to the driver side.

Have you looked at the firewall? It may be getting into the engine area, and then through the firewall.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Jacob1
Veteran

Well the firewall has a big grommet in it below the master cylinder on the drivers side of the steering shaft. It has a couple of hole in it but, the water isn't coming from it and it being on a vertical surface it couldn't leak water like what i am seeing. I couldn't get to it during cristmas, going to try this weekend.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

I know this isn't quite the same but I'll tell you a problem I had with a slow plumbing leak I had. I'd swear the leak was from a pipe behind a wall because the water would come out on the floor directly below the spot I ended up cutting into. Well as you have probably guessed, there was no leak there! I found the leak about 15 feet away, but the water ran down the pipe, to the sill, then along the sill and dropped off to that point on the floor. Funny thing is the floor was bone dry at the point of the leak and all the way to where it dropped off (wrong place). That's why I suggested an odd place. You already did the logical (as I did, cutting into the wall at the point where the water came out). Next comes the "weird stuff." That's what I was trying to get you to look at.
Good luck; let me know how it goes.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Jacob1
Veteran

see that is the problem i haven't gotten a chance lately to look, but i noticed for the last three days it hasn't rained but the floor is still wet so it has to be holding water. And todayw hen i get a chance it decides to pour down rain. CAn't check because it will soak me and the interior with drivers side door open.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:33 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it holds water then at least the floorboard must be good.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Rampant 150
Professional

I have this exact problem, and have seen it on some other trucks. I first noticed that my carpet pad was wet. After looking for a while and not finding anything, I removed my carpet to do some water tests. With my brother underneath the truck with a trouble light I foundSOME leaks. First, my floor had very small rust holes in it, but it was rusted from the top down. I fixed it with JB weld. Next I found a small hole in the sealant that connects the floor pan to the firwall, behind the gas pedal. I thought I was done, until I washed my truck again. Soon I had my interior pulled apart again. I found water dribbling from behind the vent panel. I removed the panel and found that water would run right down into the foam seal, which is not leak proof at all.Water will also travel along the screws that hold the vent plastic on, and drop down inside thecab. My roof is also rusting along the rain gutter, so I tested it for leaks too. I did this by removing my drivers visor and sticking my finger inside while getting the roof wet. Turns out it was leaking too. Currently I have the roof patched with silicone, and the side vent hole covered with tape. I still have water coming in though, and all I can think is that either the roof rust is worse than I repaired, or my windsheild rubber is leaking. I am planning on doing a complete teardown and rebuild, so my next step is to gut the interior, and repair everything that is worn and leaking. Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Jacob1
Veteran

You are talking about the vent in thedriver's kickpanel right. The one that slide opens to let in air from the fender right. If that is the one you are talking about then i have already ruled it out. Becauseit looks like the leak just apears out of nowhere about 8 inches away from that vent. But i looked and evidently the lights on the roof aren't original beacuse there is alot of bondo all along the rof edge. But it is applied in a good sealed way no holes or anything in it. And the roof rail is ok and no rust prevalent there. So i haven't yet looked at the firewall and floor sealant area, but i will check it. I haven't look at the floor underneath the carpet yet but if you press down the floor doesn't have any dips or soft spots in it. And underneath there are no signs of rust on the floor. But i will ahve to look at the flor and firewal seal. Thanks for the tips. This is my one and only daily driver and the only way to get to school so a complete tear into the interor is out of the question.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Rampant 150
Professional

Take the plastic off of the drives side windsheild pillar. Drive it for a while like that, and if water drips down the pillar, then it is either your roof or windshield seal that is leaking.

Quick Reply: My truck has a leak i itLeak