1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing front hub (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008 | 08:14 PM
OrangeMopar
|
Amateur
Default Removing front hub (pic)

I got the tool from Advanced to remove the castle nut. Now what do I do? Not sure if this needs a special tool to remove or just some help by tapping/prying the restout. Any help appriciated. Also does anyone have an exploded view of the assembly they could post up? I have the Haine's manual but haven't found anything yet.

Old 03-25-2008 | 09:32 PM
racer9
Veteran
Default RE: Removing front hub (pic)

Clean the rest of the grease out, but I think that washer with all the holes comes straight out. It should have an ear that lines up with a slot on the axle tube. Then theres another nut behind it with a pin that lines up with a hole in the washer, that nut unscrews off. This is the adjustment locking assembly. Make sure you put it back together with the pin facing out.
Then you should be able to pull the hub/bearings etc., off.

Old 03-25-2008 | 10:04 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star

what year is that?

Old 03-26-2008 | 01:13 PM
OrangeMopar
|
Amateur

It's an 86 W100.

Old 03-26-2008 | 02:05 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star

wow. and 86 anything in ontario would not look like that...

Old 03-26-2008 | 02:35 PM
BIG HOOK
Professional

There should be a black external snap ring that clips into a groove on the spindle that needs to be removed. Like racer9 said, the washer with the holes should come right out (it's not threaded), then you will need the socket again to back out the second spindle nut and then you can remove the hub. Be careful because the inner and outer wheel bearings will be loose in side the hub. Try not to let them fall and get damaged.
Looking at your photo of the hub, it doesn't quite look right in there. I see that the first spindle nut was removed but I'm seeing what looks like the snap ring still on the spindle. Maybe it's the way the angle is but the snap ring HAS to be removed first before everything else. When you popped the hub open (took the end cap off), was there not a rather heavy, thick (about an inch) inner and outer splined spindle gear on the end in there? That is what rotates the hubs when you are in four wheel drive. The photo looks like everything is positioned close to the end of the spindle.

Tim

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:10 PM
OrangeMopar
|
Amateur

Thanks guys, I got it all of the components dissassembled just to find out that the hub seems to be pressed into the rotor anyway. I thought it would slide right out after everything was taken off but I guess I am mistaken haha. I was hoping to avoid that damn bolt on the back that holds the caliper on. If I can even get a wrench on to start it, still looks like a giant pain. All this for the broken wheel stud as you can see in the pic.... Oh well when I get some more free time I will tackle this again. Hopefully it passes inspection anyway.

Old 03-28-2008 | 06:57 PM
racer9
Veteran

Won't pass here. You got it that far, keep going, replace all the studs while it's apart.

Old 03-29-2008 | 05:03 PM
OrangeMopar
|
Amateur

Well, she passed. If I had till the end of next month I would have kept going but it will get done sometime this summer.

Old 04-01-2008 | 03:33 PM
driveramsII

This may help, not exactly what you have but you get the idea. http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/...owtoshow;id=94

Quick Reply: Removing front hub (pic)