1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weekend Paint Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 AM
HeliDeiter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Weekend Paint Project

I've been thinking about sanding down and priming my D100. Is this something I can get done over two days? The body is pretty straight except for a quarter sized dent above the left tail light so I won't be spending much time on body work. Equipment would be two guys with electric palm sanders and some parts store spray primer.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
aaron7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As straight as you think it is... it isn't! So many little dings show up when you get the thing into primer.

Now if you aren't going for a show finish and just want it to look better... 2 days might be cutting it close unless you really go nuts.

And unless you really have a knack for it... spray paint is VERY hard to lay down even.

Harbor Freight (online) sells cheap paint guns for $20. Get one of those and some filters and use some cheap primer to spray it. It'll come out MUCH better.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you won't get a good looking paint job with 2 days of work. have you seen overhauling? it take 6 guy almost 24hours of work before they shoot the paint! it would take 2 guys at least a week to get a good paint job. palm sanders are also a bad idea.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 11-05-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:10 PM
HeliDeiter

I'm mainly going for the "at least it's all one color" effect more than a nice paint job. I had originaly planned a Maaco paint job (550) but I figure since they're going to do a less than perfect job, i might as well do it my self and put to money toward a drop kit.

Buying spray guns is on the edge of possible because I'd have to rent the air compressor, hoses, etc. Also I have very limited experience with the set up seeing as my only experience was auto shop in H.S 8 years ago.

Perhaps this a project best left to professionals?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you could try one of those electric spray guns.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 AM
AeSix
Professional

Here's the thing...
if it's rusted, a "bad" paint job will be better than letting it rot while you drive it.
if it's not rusting and want it to look nicer, then wait.
if you're like me and have been spraying scratches and scrapes and various other paintless areas, then $30 worth of spray paint will make it one color. I wouldn't even really sand it down at that point though, and just do a quick job. save money for your drop kit, and later on down the road when the spray paint starts to fade, then maybe you'll have enough saved up for a better job.

Spray cans can lead to a sloppy paint job, but by the time you're doing painting the inside of your bed with a few cans, you'll have it down well enough where you won't have too much drippage to worry about. the areas you do have drips, use some steel wool on AFTER its nice a dry, then go over with a few more coats from a couple feet away.

Don't worry about clear coat. A bottle of turtle wax, even on a spray can job, will make it look a LOT nicer. even without buffing it to a high gloss it'll still add protection and make it look less like a weekender spray can job.

This is what I'm planning for my truck, when I get the money for the spray paint... or even enough for the steel wool would be nice right about now LOL.

anyways, If you're good with a can, you can do some seriously amazing paint jobs. Don't let anyone tell you differant. The paint isn't as good of a quality as auto paint, so it won't last as long, but as long as you know you need to save up for a better paint job in a year or two, you'll be fine. Also, stick to one company's spray paint. I'd use something where if you need a touch up can later on, you can a) find it, and b) afford it with out skipping lunch.

Sorry is so long, is almost 7 am, been up since yesterday, trying to stay awake for another 7 hours :S

Old 11-06-2009, 03:32 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by AeSix
if it's rusted, a "bad" paint job will be better than letting it rot while you drive it.
if you're like me and have been spraying scratches and scrapes and various other paintless areas, then $30 worth of spray paint will make it one color. I wouldn't even really sand it down at that point though, and just do a quick job.

Spray cans can lead to a sloppy paint job
it is most likely not rotted if he lives in pheonix. you will want to sand it or else the paint will not stick. Spray cans do not lead to a sloppy paint job, the person spraying does.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
AeSix
Professional

aye, read the rest
I guess I could have worded it differant or included spray guns...
or even brushing and goat forbid, paint rollers. Yes, I seen someone roll on paint on their van. Exterior latex none the less.

and yeah a sanding would definatly help it stick better
Acetone in a squirt bottle follwed by a preassure washing, a good drying and painting immediatly afterwards... well, I don't know about in Phoenix cause of the dryness, but it lasted over a year on my Shadow. I know, I know not best idea ever, but it worked. btw, I'm in south Fl, where its always humid, so again, don't know if that has an effect on that.

ymmv w/ my advice

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
HeliDeiter

Thanks for all the info.

Here's the skinny on my truck.
'88 D100 which has been in the family since it was brand new. The truck has hardley been driven in the past 6 years but was kept in running condition. Grandpa basically decided it was better to give it to me than to have it take up space at his house.
A few years ago he decided to give painting a try (gotta fill those retirement days). Unfortunately the air compressor had an oil leak and caused the paint to "fish eye". I've also pulled off the trim and the original blue paint is still there. Other than that there is no rust and the body is pretty straight.
I'd like to save the $550 and get the truck down to primer as well as shave the rivets left over from the trim. I think black primer will look better than the current paint. If I can do this in my drive way with a friend that would be prefered.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you should remember that most primers are not sealers so you would have to clear coat it or paint it or the primer will absorb moisture and could cause the truck to rust. you might be able to get away without prime since you live in Phoenix.

Quick Reply: Weekend Paint Project