1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Home made Hydrogen Cell.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
renegade6184
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home made Hydrogen Cell.

Has anyone heard of these?

http://www.alternative-energy-resour...generator.html

http://www.gas4free.com/?hop=y2008

The links are helpful but you do not need to buy it. The directions are available on the internet for free and you can install easy as well. All the parts are available at a hardware store. So anyone have any ideas if this would be a cool way to go? After installation it says you would have to make minor carb adjustments but if you don't want it, put it back how it was and patch a hole in your intake with tape. I want to do it but I am asking for advice, what do you think?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read quite a bit on them and it seems that they don't do what is claimed.
Basically a bunch of bull crap.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 PM
renegade6184
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I was surfing the web I came across this website with the free directions,

http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com/Smack.pdf

I have read it and it sounds pretty good. The majority of these sites try to sell you outrageous claims and their plans. This one gave real directions that I am gonna try. I will hit up the hardware store on payday and get all these parts and try it out. It says to expect 20-40% increase in MPG. And a better running engine. I am gonna attempt it. Let me know if you guys want to know what I find out or if you want to try it with me.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

they do work. they just take a lot of maintenance. they can also be dangerous. i blew up my first one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tn7e8g0YI

Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wolfie, have you used one of these in your truck? I'd like to try one. It all makes sense how it should work, but I'm curious how much they actually do, and if they need constant maintenance. I'm wondering how it would hold up to a cold Pennsylvania winter.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i have not used one in my truck but i have wanted to try it. the only thing that has stopped me was is building a container that would be safe to put under the hood. from my understanding from all the stuff i have read it is not only suppose to increase your fuel mileage but it is also suppose to increase your HP and Torque. i don't know what maintenance they would need but i think it would need to be topped up and occasionally clean and rinsed out. i'm pretty sure it would work in winter. if not you probably add some anti freeze to it.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Sounds interesting. I wonder what kind of results you would get if you built the container out of a 55 gallon drum in the bed? I'd really like to try building one . . . i just don't want to end up wasting money on it if I only get a 0.5mpg increase. I like the idea of getting a MAF sensor controller to trick the fuel injection into running lean while you are on hydrogen too.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i think a 55gallon drum would be a bit too big. i know what you mean about not wanting to waste money on it if it might not work. so far i have spent only $5 on mine. i think the increase in fuel mileage should be at least half of your current MPG. this article really makes me want to try it.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

What is the hydrogen output like on yours? I think the smacksboosters plan looks pretty good. Maybe I'll try building one that will initially be stationary, but build it keeping in mind the design and size restrictions of putting it in my truck.

It would be neat just to run it as a cheap alternative to an acetylene torch.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the output on mine is ok for its size but it is not big enough to use as a torch. right now i am using a mason jar with 4 stainless steel plates. i thinking about buying some PVC pipe to use as a container so that i can use more plates. i think it should be easy to fit a couple under the hood if you wanted.

Quick Reply: Home made Hydrogen Cell.