1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie here needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011 | 11:31 PM
1992antihero
|
Default Newbie here needs some help

Hello all im new here. I just purchased my very first american vehicle (I'm a Honda person lol) a 1992 Dodge D150. With the 3.9L V6 engine. And I have some questions about it that I'm hoping someone can help with. First off sorry I know this is stupid to ask but is this truck fuel injected or carbureted? Also where's the best place to get rims for this truck? Because I'm having trouble finding 5x5.5 bolt pattern rims. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2011 | 01:19 AM
SixGun
Veteran

Assuming it's stock, it should be fuel injected.

Without knowing what kind of rims your looking for, or size, might want to purchase a truck magazine and they will have 20 ads for rims. Just check out their websites and don't be afraid to email some folks. Summit has a nice selection usually for trucks. Discount Tire and Pep Boys have lots of Catalogs on hand to look through.

I used to have a Honda Civic 4 door and it was built in Ohio. I hate to say it but your truck may have been built in Mexico. It's hard to say what's American anymore.

Hey, BTW, welcome to the site and good luck with the truck. Don't forget to go to Control Panel and edit your details so people know where your from and what kind of vehicle you drive. Oh yeah, post some pics.

Last edited by SixGun; 08-14-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2011 | 02:40 AM
1992antihero
|

Originally Posted by SixGun
Assuming it's stock, it should be fuel injected.

Without knowing what kind of rims your looking for, or size, might want to purchase a truck magazine and they will have 20 ads for rims. Just check out their websites and don't be afraid to email some folks. Summit has a nice selection usually for trucks. Discount Tire and Pep Boys have lots of Catalogs on hand to look through.

I used to have a Honda Civic 4 door and it was built in Ohio. I hate to say it but your truck may have been built in Mexico. It's hard to say what's American anymore.

Hey, BTW, welcome to the site and good luck with the truck. Don't forget to go to Control Panel and edit your details so people know where your from and what kind of vehicle you drive. Oh yeah, post some pics.
Thanks for the info on the rims, I'll check there. But on rims I'd like to get some the same size as the factory rims since I already have some nice Yokohama tires on it. The factory rims are 15x6.5 with the bolt pattern of 5x5.5

A Honda built in Ohio? Wow that suprises me. Are you sure it wasn't an Acura? I know my Honda was built in Japan. But mine was an 1982. Heres some pics of mine if interested. (Yes I know this is a Dodge forum an you probably don't wanna see Honda ****, but oh well. Dont click it then if not interested)

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

But my truck was for a fact built here in america. Cause on the sticker in the door jam it reads "Built in U.S.A." Though my dad has a 2000 Ram and it says "Built in Mexico" lol And here's some pics of my truck.

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Oh and save the comments on how sh!tty the paint is and how gay it looks with the racing strips. I did not put those on there or paint the truck with a rattle can lol. I bought it this way. My plan is to get it painted metalic blue with a flat black hood. Then I want to put a full exhaust system on it. I want to put on a Cherry bomb exhaust on it, but I don't know which one will sound best on a 3.9L V6. What do you think will sound best?

Thanks

Old 08-14-2011 | 06:37 PM
tooltime
Veteran

You should be able to check on wheels at any tire store.

Old 08-14-2011 | 06:54 PM
SixGun
Veteran

My understanding at the time (1988) was that there was not a market for 4 door cars in Japan. Heck, there's a Toyota plant here in San Antonio that builds Toyota Tundras. At the time, that Honda was getting 38-40 mpg on the highway which was and is still awesome. I was stationed in CA and drove 60 miles each day round trip to work from the nearest town of Barstow. I also had a 1971 GTX that got 12 mpg on the highway. Making only $800 a month as a Private, which one do you think I drove all the time?

Anyways, I think now it goes by percentage of American or Import parts to be classified as one or the other. Hey, now a sticker that says it was built here - thats different. I have some stickers that I sell on Ebay that say, "Built in U.S.A." that fit over the "Bilt en Mexico" stickers for $5.00 a piece. Just go to www.ImFullofSheet.com.

JK in case your interested anyone.

Cool car and way cooler truck. BTW I'm obligated to like trucks more on this site. And what's wrong with rattle can jobs. My pet monkey painted mine.

Those stripes aren't gay cause they'd be vertical stripes if they were. You know, make you look thinner and prettier. Not to mention that it would be painted pink...ish.

Hope you can take a joke - I'm just funnin'. Umm... what was your ?? again. Oh yeah, exhaust, what do you consider full exhaust? I have a single in- single out with Magnaflow cat and Thrush muffler out the back. I've heard quite a few guys like the cherry bombs for some noise. To each their own. If you are looking for replacement stock rims, what is wrong with yours? Personally, I like steelies with dog dish caps. Your truck looks just like mine but white. I see sand, cinder block walls and palm trees in your pics. Are you in the California desert by chance?

Old 08-14-2011 | 07:27 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

that is a pretty nice looking truck for its age. i don't see nothing wrong with the stripes. before you start dropping any money on the exhaust you may want to check the plenum on the bottom of the intake. every magnum engine has one and they all eventually star to leak and cause all sorts of problems.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Old 08-14-2011 | 07:42 PM
1992antihero
|

Originally Posted by SixGun
My understanding at the time (1988) was that there was not a market for 4 door cars in Japan. Heck, there's a Toyota plant here in San Antonio that builds Toyota Tundras. At the time, that Honda was getting 38-40 mpg on the highway which was and is still awesome. I was stationed in CA and drove 60 miles each day round trip to work from the nearest town of Barstow. I also had a 1971 GTX that got 12 mpg on the highway. Making only $800 a month as a Private, which one do you think I drove all the time?

Anyways, I think now it goes by percentage of American or Import parts to be classified as one or the other. Hey, now a sticker that says it was built here - thats different. I have some stickers that I sell on Ebay that say, "Built in U.S.A." that fit over the "Bilt en Mexico" stickers for $5.00 a piece. Just go to www.ImFullofSheet.com.

JK in case your interested anyone.

Cool car and way cooler truck. BTW I'm obligated to like trucks more on this site. And what's wrong with rattle can jobs. My pet monkey painted mine.

Those stripes aren't gay cause they'd be vertical stripes if they were. You know, make you look thinner and prettier. Not to mention that it would be painted pink...ish.

Hope you can take a joke - I'm just funnin'. Umm... what was your ?? again. Oh yeah, exhaust, what do you consider full exhaust? I have a single in- single out with Magnaflow cat and Thrush muffler out the back. I've heard quite a few guys like the cherry bombs for some noise. To each their own. If you are looking for replacement stock rims, what is wrong with yours? Personally, I like steelies with dog dish caps. Your truck looks just like mine but white. I see sand, cinder block walls and palm trees in your pics. Are you in the California desert by chance?

Well on my truck its the factory sticker that has the vin an all the truck info and that says built in America. So unless the factory who put the sticker on is bullsh!tting me, it should be an official american truck lol.

And thanks glad you like the truck. But I'm definetly going to get it proffesionaly painted lol. And ya of course I can take a joke lol. I see your point to. But still the racing stripes have to go.

And for the muffler these are my choices.
http://www.cherrybomb.com/Uploads/images/soundchart.jpg
I want the truck to have that loud muscle sound, but not to loud to have that annoying drone inside the truck. So got any ideas? Also since this is just a 6 cyclinder truck if you go to loud of exhaust, it will start to soud like those hondas with the fart can exhaust. And I definetly don't want that lol. Oh and what I mean by full exhaust system is, I want to put on aftermarket headers, Cherry Bomb exhaust, and make it dual exhaust. While having both pipes go straight out the back. Though I have no Idea what headers to go with. So got any recomendations?

And you seriously like those factory rims??? To each his own definetly. I mean I hate hubcaps. Especialy these ones cause there like freakin bowls. I could serious pop one of them off an go eat a nice diner of pasta or soup in them lol.

Oh and nah I'd rather live in CA. But nope I'm stuck here in hell. And by hell I mean Arizona lol. Though I'm looking to move to Seattle WA in the next to years, cause I can't take this heat.

Thanks for all the info.

Old 08-14-2011 | 07:52 PM
1992antihero
|

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
that is a pretty nice looking truck for its age. i don't see nothing wrong with the stripes. before you start dropping any money on the exhaust you may want to check the plenum on the bottom of the intake. every magnum engine has one and they all eventually star to leak and cause all sorts of problems.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Hey thanks for this. I had no clue on this. I'll go check mine. Though mine isn't showing any of those syptoms at all. But thank you.

Old 08-14-2011 | 08:05 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i had some not stock rims on my 91 but i have no clue what type they are. i got them off a 87b250 that i bought for parts. there are lots of rams that use the 5x5.5 bolt pattern but they went to 16 inch tires. i think all your truck needs is some beauty rings. the ones i had on my dodge where off a chevy.
its a bit hard to see and mine were not so clean but i think they would look good if cleaned.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 08-14-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2011 | 08:26 PM
1992antihero
|

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i had some not stock rims on my 91 but i have no clue what type they are. i got them off a 87b250 that i bought for parts. there are lots of rams that use the 5x5.5 bolt pattern but they went to 16 inch tires. i think all your truck needs is some beauty rings. the ones i had on my dodge where off a chevy.
its a bit hard to see and mine were not so clean but i think they would look good if cleaned.

Oh ya I see what you mean by those beauty ring thingy. But your rims look alot better than those. And ya just give your rims a real good cleaning an possibly repaint them, then they'll look even better. By the way what's with your truck sitting on those other rims? Is that like I'm too poor to by jack stands? lol I'm just messing with you

Quick Reply: Newbie here needs some help