1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

KEGGER MOD question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:28 PM
LA6-250
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KEGGER MOD question

May sound dumb ... but, what is the benefit of doing a Kegger mod on a multiport injected motor? Is there any down sides to doing it? Is passing SMOG easier, or less likely? Gas mileage increase or decrease? Does motor size have any bearing on whether or not it is worth doing? 3.9 vs 5.9?
Thank You

Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

from my understanding it increases your hp but decreases your torque. i don't think it would effect smog in any way.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 PM
LA6-250
Rookie

Im thinking about doing it, boring the inlet to 48mm and taking my stock TB and having it bored to 48mm as well... since the fastman and what not are essentially the same. The main difference is they tapper down 48mm... on my stock exhaust manifold (passenger side) there is some b.s breather looking tube that comes in to it. any, idea what that thing does? since most aftermarket headers dont have that, wtf do you have to do to reincorporate it, or do you have to?

Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's EGR. Exhaust gas recirculation. Basically, your engine is eating it's own poop over and over. Terrible idea. It's on the list to get trashed for me...

Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Hey Y'all. I've started doing a kegger mod on my '93 ramcharger while the motor is out being re-built. This is quickly becoming the most frustrating thing I've done on this truck. I've used various dremel bits, an air powered high speed metal saw, cut off wheel, and various 4 letter words. Nothing seems to be effective on the aluminum (since when was aluminum so f-ing tough?) except the cut off wheel, and it simply will not get into the tight spaces I need to access. I have the egr which is a requirement for the State of Washington, so getting around it is being very difficult as well. Does anyone have any advice on what to use in this situation, or should I just shut up and spend what money I have left on anger management classes and therapy?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think most people use a saws but aluminum clogs up fine tooth saws fairly quick.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Detore344
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i think most people use a saws but aluminum clogs up fine tooth saws fairly quick.
Starting to think I just need to be extremely patient. Pretty sure this is going to be a mm by mm procedure with several hours more to go. I just hate standing there holding a vibrating tool in the same spot for what seems like an eternity. It's like trying to please my girlfriend. But seriously folks,...

Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When working with aluminum remember to use lots of WD-40 on the teeth of the cutting tool to help prevent the teeth from clogging. With abrasive type wheels/disks there are special wheels/disks for aluminum.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LA6-250
Im thinking about doing it, boring the inlet to 48mm and taking my stock TB and having it bored to 48mm as well... since the fastman and what not are essentially the same. The main difference is they tapper down 48mm... on my stock exhaust manifold (passenger side) there is some b.s breather looking tube that comes in to it. any, idea what that thing does? since most aftermarket headers dont have that, wtf do you have to do to reincorporate it, or do you have to?
The stock V6 TB is 42mm at the base but tapers down to 39mm above the blades. 44mm is the max you can bore a stock V6 TB. Anything above that and you start cutting into the shaft bearings on the sides plus if you go above 42mm you'll have to have special made throttle blades to fit the bore size.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Originally Posted by SEAL
When working with aluminum remember to use lots of WD-40 on the teeth of the cutting tool to help prevent the teeth from clogging. With abrasive type wheels/disks there are special wheels/disks for aluminum.
Anything you can tell me more specifically about the special abrasive wheels? Is there anything you know of for a smaller tool like the dremel that help in the tighter spaces? Thank you by the way. So far you've been more helpful than the guy at McLendon.

p.s. Can someone tell me why there is a smiley option of a camero on the Dodge Forum site? <--Mer?

Quick Reply: KEGGER MOD question