1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

78 dodge d150 318 auto engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:54 PM
RobertLR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 dodge d150 318 auto engine rebuild

Hi I am having a shop rebuild my 318. He comes highly recommended but he doesn't pull the engines. The truck is in California so it needs to pass smog, I let him know that I want everything new and no china stuff in there. He let me know that he doesn't put stuff in there anyways lol. He gave me a ph # that he deals with to pull the engines. They have very good reviews, tool. They have all their engine work done by him, since he is a engine shop. What would the cost be to pull the engine and replace it and and do all the fluids. They will take the engine there as well. Also what would you expect a good shop to charge thx

Old 12-17-2017, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

You are likely looking at six to ten hours labor, just to R&R the motor, the rebuild itself can be anything to reasonably inexpensive, to open your wallet, and step back...... just depends on what they do, what parts they replace, what machine work gets done, etc. If you need to stay stock, might be cheaper to just buy a long block, and have the shop pulling the motor, just swap 'em out.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:29 PM
silvermopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree. A good rebuild once the motor is removed should cost around $4000 figuring machine work, parts, and labor. Pulling the engine and installing the engine probably around $800 plus any parts or fluids. I'm not from California, prices there may be higher.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:03 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I would try to find a good used replacement. 318s are everywhere, and cheap.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I would try to find a good used replacement. 318s are everywhere, and cheap.
i don't know if i would consider going with a cheap used engine in smog **** country. that slightly cheaper used engine may end up not passing emissions and then you still in the same situation that likely has him needing to rebuild the engine. if he didn't have to deal with smog then ya he could go that route but the smog changes everything.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

I heard in CA if the vehicle is from out of state(not sold new in CA) you don't have to have all the CA emissions. Not sure how true that is. ??? Instead of rebuilding get a 360 magnum with low miles. You will need to do some mods to retro fit the emissions stuff(egr mainly) but not impossible.
http://www.magnumswap.com/first-steps/

Old 12-23-2017, 03:02 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
I heard in CA if the vehicle is from out of state(not sold new in CA) you don't have to have all the CA emissions. Not sure how true that is. ??? Instead of rebuilding get a 360 magnum with low miles. You will need to do some mods to retro fit the emissions stuff(egr mainly) but not impossible.
http://www.magnumswap.com/first-steps/
i don't know if i would recommend a magnum swap either in CA. there is a reason they get called smog ****'s. they are so uptight about all smog tests and rules. if you stick a magnum engine in the truck you have to take all the emissions equipment for the magnum engine which would likely include keeping it fuel injected. even most of the aftermarket performance parts need a special sticker stuck on them in order to pass emission legally which is just stupid

Old 12-23-2017, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't know if i would recommend a magnum swap either in CA. there is a reason they get called smog ****'s. they are so uptight about all smog tests and rules. if you stick a magnum engine in the truck you have to take all the emissions equipment for the magnum engine which would likely include keeping it fuel injected. even most of the aftermarket performance parts need a special sticker stuck on them in order to pass emission legally which is just stupid
Are they really that bad? In most cases that I have had to deal with, putting a newer motor into an older vehicle, it still only had to meet requirements for the year of the vehicle..... Although, I suppose, if the original vehicle had AIR, EGR, etc, would the regulatory agencies still want that stuff on a motor that met more stringent requirements without it????? Would be something to investigate.....

Old 12-23-2017, 09:58 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are they really that bad? In most cases that I have had to deal with, putting a newer motor into an older vehicle, it still only had to meet requirements for the year of the vehicle..... Although, I suppose, if the original vehicle had AIR, EGR, etc, would the regulatory agencies still want that stuff on a motor that met more stringent requirements without it????? Would be something to investigate.....
i don't know for sure since i don't live there but have read a lot from people on the forums. the Californians take their smog ridiculously seriously. you wouldn't have to stick the air pump or egr on the engine if the doner vehicle or engine didn't come with it but you would have to pass emission of the vehicle year the engine that you got is out of. if you stuck a 98 engine in a 78 you would have to pass emissions as a 98. it is definitely pretty complicated compared to most places as far as emissions goes. almost any other state or province you can do whatever you want to something that old and no one would care. i know here anything 87 and older never has to do emissions testing again. the 88 and newer is all they care about about and generally even then the 88-96 usually pass with flying colors as long as they are working properly since the emissions are so relaxed.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't know for sure since i don't live there but have read a lot from people on the forums. the Californians take their smog ridiculously seriously. you wouldn't have to stick the air pump or egr on the engine if the doner vehicle or engine didn't come with it but you would have to pass emission of the vehicle year the engine that you got is out of. if you stuck a 98 engine in a 78 you would have to pass emissions as a 98. it is definitely pretty complicated compared to most places as far as emissions goes. almost any other state or province you can do whatever you want to something that old and no one would care. i know here anything 87 and older never has to do emissions testing again. the 88 and newer is all they care about about and generally even then the 88-96 usually pass with flying colors as long as they are working properly since the emissions are so relaxed.
Wow. They aren't that **** around here, at least, in places that actually do testing. Where I live, there is NO testing whatsoever. No inspections, no sniffer, nothing. The DMV never even needs to see the vehicle. You could put plates on anything.... so long as you have a proper title, and insurance......

Quick Reply: 78 dodge d150 318 auto engine rebuild