1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil type

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 04:34 PM
framerailmike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil type

I have 88 d 100 with 318 what type of oil should I put in the engine thanks Mike M I am asumming that it has a flat tapett cam since it was made before 1990 when all cams went roller.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Whatever the engine calls for. Probably 10w30. Depending on climate. If you keep it changed reliably, just use regular dino oil. (non-synthetic.)

Old 06-11-2018, 10:12 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i run shell rotella 15w40 all my trucks. keeps things running good.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Should state it on the oil filler cap if you don't have the owners manual

Old 06-11-2018, 12:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Felicia Corage
The post you are referencing is 10 years old.... So WHY would you think....no one reads these threads, no matter how old? I read it today, didn't I? Who is this person that closes the thread so I can not reply? Just because no one posts does not mean people don't read the post. If you had your little feelings hurt because I mentioned mechanics and how they operate.....put your big girl panties on after you douche and let me reply to your comment like a big boy! Wanna race your little ***** Truck with my Stratus RT.....a GIRL would SMOKE you! You DELETE me now.....won't come back again thanks for nothing clueless ****
Seriously? WTF? This thread started yesterday, no one has made any negative comments until YOU came along. You wanna pick up your toys and go home? Feel free, don't let the door hit ya on your way out.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Seriously? WTF? This thread started yesterday, no one has made any negative comments until YOU came along. You wanna pick up your toys and go home? Feel free, don't let the door hit ya on your way out.
He bumped a 10 year old thread in the Stratus section, to which I replied, "you bumped a 10 year old tread" and then closed the thread. I assume he was trying to vent his frustration here...I think he had too much coffee .......I banned his a$$.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by jkeaton
He bumped a 10 year old thread in the Stratus section, to which I replied, "you bumped a 10 year old tread" and then closed the thread. I assume he was trying to vent his frustration here...I think he had too much coffee .......I banned his a$$.
Well, looking at his/her nic..... seems appropriate.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:24 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Should state it on the oil filler cap if you don't have the owners manual
most likely only has the stamped steel fill caps. sometime between 88 and 91 they switched to plastic but i have never seen one on a first gen that told you what oil to use. i know on newer vehicle they tell you but don't know whey they started doing it with dodge. realistically you can run pretty much any oil in these old engines as long as you keep it topped up. personally i just run the diesel oil since it has all the extra cleaners in it to keep the engine clean inside just like it would on a diesel. been running it in my 81 for years now and last compression check had all cylinders sitting at a solid 170-180psi with little to no change when doing a wet test.

Quick Reply: oil type