1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1987 W100 3.7 starter motor manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:15 AM
max2004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 W100 3.7 starter motor manual

Dodger starter finally gave up the ghost, ordered rebuilt one on-line, after about 6 starts, it quit, pulled it out and chunks of brush material and copper fell on bench through the bottom vent hole. it's seized! thought I would pull it apart to see if I could fix it as sending it back is a problem. Any instruction manuals for this starter? Thanks

Old 06-26-2018, 02:10 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if it was a new or rebuilt starter you should contact whoever you bought it from. if it was defective they should replace it or what about rebuilding or fixing the old starter? if that is not an option you can try getting one from an auto recycler or maybe someone that has a dodge sitting around. all 3.9/5.2/5.9 in the 2nd gens dodge trucks or vans use a starter that will work with the older trucks. just the connectors changed so may need to take a bit of wiring with it. it is a popular upgrade with older mopars since they are smaller/lighter and easier to get in/out when needed.

now if you do want to try fixing it you could try reading this and see if it help
https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar...-starters.html

Old 06-26-2018, 04:44 AM
max2004

Thanks crazzywolfie,

Outfit I got starter from says I gotta buy another one from them, then send this one back... sounds a bit Dodgy(no pun intended!)... rather not throw more money away... Live+Learn eh?
That AllPar starter info is exactly what I was looking for! Can't wait to take it apart...
I'd like to rebuild my Dodger starters and alternators. Any idea where to get brushes?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:32 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

rock auto does that sometimes.and it is annoying but how it works. i think they usually do that when it is run as warranty claim but been over 30 days since it was bought. i think they are usually willing to have you send the old one back and then once they receive it send another one. that is where buying another and returning the old one is quicker sometimes since shipping each way generally take about a week

could check rockauto and compare them to local parts stores. sometimes they are cheaper and sometimes they are not. really depends on the shippings

Old 06-26-2018, 02:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

My local Advance Auto will price match rock auto, and I don't have to pay shipping.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:20 PM
max2004

Tried that with our locals here HeyYou... no go.
Pulled off the starter base cap and all kinds of crap came out, chunks of grease, brush material, metal particles... there is no way this was rebuilt. Old starter was cleaner inside!! Not sure where to get the parts or what parts are needed to repair it. Buy local get better product! Hope I get my money back from this vendor!!

Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if you do buy another or even used i would recommend getting a newer one. as you can see in the pic they are a bit smaller and easier to deal with. plus they are pretty simple and easy to work on. generally the only thing that fails on them is a contact in the solenoid.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:30 PM
max2004

crazzywolfie, I meant to comment on the photo of your starters, thanks!!
Better than P around with these rebuilds. Will start looking around.

Quick Reply: 1987 W100 3.7 starter motor manual