1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1991 Dodge D-150 Gen 3 Hemi Swap questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 07:42 AM
TheMoparPowerslave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Dodge D-150 Gen 3 Hemi Swap questions!

I'm going to do a restomod to my 1991 Dodge Ram D-150, it is pretty rusty right now(and I know lmc sells fenders and such), Does anyone sell new cabs?

I'm thinking about saving up for a 392 or Hellcat instead of a 5.7, Would I need to replace the rear axle if i do get one of the performance gen 3 hemi? Which one would work if I have to swap(could a 1 ton axle work?)?

Why are some people against me putting in a Gen 3 Hemi in my truck? The 318 is great, but the Hemi is cooler imo and some people I talk to is like keep the 318 or you'll ruin your truck. I know the gen 3 hemi isn't perfect, but neither was the 318(or any LA or Magnum engine for the matter)

Old 09-10-2022, 08:55 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 372 Likes on 350 Posts

What to you plan on doing with it? Sounds like you are after the cool factor rather than practicality. I really don't see why you would put in a hellcat unless you have loads of money you have to spend. It would be fun but there are other options.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:19 AM
TheMoparPowerslave

Originally Posted by Moparite
What to you plan on doing with it? Sounds like you are after the cool factor rather than practicality. I really don't see why you would put in a hellcat unless you have loads of money you have to spend. It would be fun but there are other options.
body work, painting it mopar indigo blue, New bedliner, bed cover, tinted windows, stepside leather seats(like the Warlock and such has), lowered, disk brakes all around, AC, custom dash(gauges, temp controls, radio, etc), new steering wheel, nice sound system, led headlights, possibly billet grille inserts, new exhaust, American racing wheels, and some more things I'm probably forgetting

Old 09-10-2022, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

I think he is asking how you intend to use the truck.

The following users liked this post:
TheMoparPowerslave (09-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 10:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Yes, Daily driver fun for weekends etc...

Old 09-10-2022, 11:48 AM
TheMoparPowerslave

Yes, Daily driver fun for weekends etc...
sorry about that, I misread lol! I'm planning on making it a cool daily driver

Old 09-10-2022, 12:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Then the question becomes, how much ya wanna spend? Anything can be done, if you throw enough money at it. Hellcat motors ain't cheap..... but, beyond that, the current rear will likely handle anything else you put in front of it just fine.

The following users liked this post:
TheMoparPowerslave (09-10-2022)

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2022, 11:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

This question made me wonder what they put in the hell cat cars. I found out it's a 230mm(ring gear) that is 9.05 in inches so yea the factory 9 inch will handle just about anything you can throw at it. If i was doing this i would put in a Detroit Truetrac. If you are not concerned about gas mileage a 440 6 pack would be "cool" and cost a fraction of a hell cat swap. A hell cat needs all the electronics also to go with it so it's not just a motor swap.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

This question made me wonder what they put in the hell cat cars. I found out it's a 230mm(ring gear) that is 9.05 in inches so yea the factory 9 inch will handle just about anything you can throw at it. If i was doing this i would put in a Detroit Truetrac. If you are not concerned about gas mileage a 440 6 pack would be "cool" and cost a fraction of a hell cat swap. A hell cat needs all the electronics also to go with it so it's not just a motor swap.
I saw somewhere, i six pack fuel injection manifold for chrysler big blocks. It was an interesting design.... small primary throttle body for instant response around town, and larger secondaries, so when you really get into it, the car/truck will quite literally stand on end. Easy tuning too..... Don't recall where I saw it though. Its a feedback system, so, it would be reasonably 'efficient'.... if you can even use that term on a big block...... Would make it a great year-round driver, easy starts, etc. No fussing with carbs.....

Old 09-12-2022, 06:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Is this it? They make it for a few different engines.

Quick Reply: 1991 Dodge D-150 Gen 3 Hemi Swap questions!