1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

88 D150 problems unsolved? Help?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Dodgeliterate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 D150 problems unsolved? Help?!?

I need some advise. I have an 88 Dodge D150 full size pick up with an automatic tranny and a 318 in it. It is bogging out at all times, but especially under a load and no power up even the smallest hill. It will run at light throttle, but once I punch it, it boggs and bucks. I've replaced all the sensors on the throttle body except for the TPS which I tested and it's ok. I replaced the coolant sensor as well. I've also replaced the fuel, air, and oil filters.
I was running much worse before I did that, but it's still running pretty much the same.

I'm also having problems with the headlights on the same truck. After awhile, my headlights start to turn off and back on and off and so on. They will shut off completely until I pull over and turn them off for awhile. Then I can go for about another 15 to 20 minutes and it will happen again. It's a lot of fun going down the highway in the dark, but I don't think the cops will like that very much. Neither does my wife. Any ideas???

I need suggestions. I have some more to replace, but I'd rather hear from you all out there before I go broke. I'd hate to have a good running truck with no money left to put gas in it! Any and all ideas are welcome. No idea is a stupid idea. I wanna hear it. Thanks! Peace out!

Old 03-29-2006, 03:43 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 88 D150 problems unsolved? Help?!?

Test the electrical system. It sounds like something is overheating. Coil maybe? Overheating and not delivering good voltage to burn the gas? And the battery. I'd find a shop that can test the alternator, voltage regulator, battery, look for worn wires, check the fuseable link, shoot, check timing, cap/rotor, plug wires, plugs. Just inspect everything so you're not throwing good money at parts that don't need to be replaced. Also look into O2 sensor and catalytic converter.

The fact that it runs fine without load, and that there's an obvious heat-related electrical problem makes me think the cat isn't clogged, but rather there's something tragically wrong with the electrical system.

Good luck man.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:53 AM
Chump
Captain

You could have a bad fuel pump in the tank.

For the headlights, check the headlight switch for melted terminals or connector. If 88 still had the floor mounted dimmer switch that could also be melted. If it has a column mounted dimmer switch it could be bad or have wiring problems too.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:18 PM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker

I'm guessing that this is a TBI Ram. In addition to the electrical check, also check the vaccum lines and connections.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
87ram
Veteran

It would seem to me that this would be a cracked distributor cap. I had a 1979 Dodge Power Wagon that did this same thing and it was a crack in my distributor.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:56 AM
Dodgeliterate

I replaced the distibuter cap and rotor. I'm in the process of removing the cat. converter and fuel pump. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:00 PM
tcarothers
Rookie

Don't know if this will help much, but the problem sounds similar to a prob I had on my old 89 D-100 ( 360, 4-speed, 2x4 ).It would idle and run fine at low speed but fell on its face other that that. Re-timing didn't help a bit, so i figured the timing was jumping, tore it down and replaced the timing gears and chain. No change. New cap, Rotor, ect .. No change. It was the cam position sensor in the distributor. Ran perfect, but I still cooked the motor, forgot a bolt in the water pump that goes into a cooling jacket. Hope this helps, if not, it is a lesson in taking your ime and don't rush like I did.
Troy

Old 04-12-2006, 06:03 AM
mjlimo82

Had a similar problem in my '89 318 a few years ago. Sputtered, died going 55, etc. Turned out the fuel injectors were badly clogged. $40 professional cleaning fixed it and I haven't had a problem since. Might consider that if yours is TBI

Old 05-01-2006, 09:29 AM
FrankFarmer

had same problems with Ford 460.
the coil was bad, overheated. cheap stuff.
after cooling down a minute it works again.
doesn't give enough e-power when engine has to work.
try a new one.
Frank

Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Dodgeliterate

Ok, I've replaced all the sensors and fuel injectors. That didn't work, so I was told to cut out the Catalictic Converter to test. I did that and I got a hell of a lot more power without the bogging until.........I drove it about 20 miles. After 20 miles, it started doing it again. I gave up for awhile, but now I'm ready to tackle the problem again. I'll test the coil for output and replace if needed. Next will be the fuel pump, but I was told that the problem would occur all the time if it was the pump. More suggestions would be great. Thanks guys! Peace out![8D]

Quick Reply: 88 D150 problems unsolved? Help?!?