2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Alarm arming honks horn 1st keyfob push?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:09 PM
InfernoR/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm arming honks horn 1st keyfob push?

On previous vehicles I've had withfactory and aftermarket alarms installed, the horn honking was programmable on a dip switch in the module and the horn only honks if you push the arm buttona second time.

I got the standardservice guy answer "They are all like that".

So, are they all like that, or can the irritating honk be switched off?

This question may apply to other factory alarms other than Avenger, like the 300 maybe?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Avenger_GA
Default RE: Alarm arming honks horn 1st keyfob push?

Afternoon InfernoR/T,

You can change/disable this "feature" in the "personal settings" section of the Instrument Cluster's Digital Display on the left hand side (assuming your vehicle has the Premium Convenience Group/trip computer/tire pressure display, etc. If not, you'll have to RTF on how to disable that manually.

Cheers,

Avenger_GA

Old 09-28-2007, 02:43 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The service guy probably told you that because he didn't want to deal with it or did not knowthe answer..

Yes it can be switched off and not only can the honk be switched off but you can change a bunch of other features such as how long your lights stay on after exit, and when your door unlocks.. etc

I dont know if the buttons I am going to be referring to are presentif certain option packages were not purchased but this is how Ichange the settings in my 08 Avenger..

Instructions:

1) Find the "Step" and the "Reset" button located on the dash where your emergency blinker lights switch is located.
2) Press the Step button UP until you see "Personal Settings" on the left status display(Just below where your fuel gauge is).
3) Then press the Step buttonDOWN until you see "Sound horn with lock"
4) Press the "Reset" buttonDOWN to change the setting to "No"

While you're in there you probably will want to poke around and change the other settings to suit your tastes.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:12 PM
InfernoR/T

GOT IT!

Thanks for the input. I don't have the premium conveinence group, so I don't have those buttons.

When I picked up the car from the dealer, (They were doing the "delivery" where they clean it, put the ispection sticker on it and fill 'er up) The service guy checked into it and found out it can be changed, but it requires a service visit where they interface a computer to it and program in the "no-beep". (cost to the customer).I let our salesman know that I felt that any required programming should be included with a new car purchase.

Anyway, I was reading the owners manual (imagine that) and low and behold on page 25, all I had to do was hold down the unlock button on the key fob for 4 seconds then push the panic button...wa la! no more irritating beep.

Sooo.... anyone with a similar situation, if all else fails, read the manual. (before paying money to the dealer) there are all kind of options that can be changed with just acouple key presses.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:58 PM
needforsleep
Rookie

I'm also one of those people who get very annoyed by all the domestic cars HONKING very loud when the lock/unlock. I liked how my old Audi would use a small beep to tell you when the alarm was armed. What's ever easier is cheaper for Chrysler.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:10 PM
SueK
Professional

ORIGINAL: needforsleep

I'm also one of those people who get very annoyed by all the domestic cars HONKING very loud when the lock/unlock. I liked how my old Audi would use a small beep to tell you when the alarm was armed. What's ever easier is cheaper for Chrysler.
You're not the only one. We have people that play with them all the time.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Rob1

I have tried over and over to disable the honk when locking the doors. Followed the instructions (not the display kind) and even tried the other Fob, but horn still will not shut the H up. Did the holding of the lock button for over 4 secs, then pressed the panic button, but won't shut off.

Anyone have an idea on troubleshooting? Is there another way to do this?

Any ideas? I will take back to the dealer if necessary as this is a Fleet vehicle.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 PM
futil
Veteran

Disable Sound Horn with Lock:
1. Press the LOCK button on a programmed transmitter
for at least four seconds, but not longer than ten seconds.
Then, press the PANIC button while still holding the
LOCK button.
2. Release both buttons at the same time.
3. Test the feature while outside of the vehicle, by
pressing the LOCK button on the transmitter with the
ignition in the LOCK position, and the key removed.

If you cant get it to work then contact your dealer as they can definately change it for you.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Rob1

thanks. Those are the same directions as in the manual, and I have tried at least 25 times to do this. I managed to change one of the other options, but for some reason this disarming will not work.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
futil
Veteran

Yeah, Sorry for quoting the manual but unfortunately there arent any other instructions to do it differently.

The only thing i can think of that you might have been doing wrong would be that you might not have released the buttons at the same time.. but im sure you did that since you have been at it for so long..

I would take it to the dealer.. They can hook a computer up to it and check off a check box to change that setting on your car. Should take 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: Alarm arming honks horn 1st keyfob push?