2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MyGIG Software Update

I havnt tried DVD+Rs but it definately plays DVD-R and Dual Layer DVDs

Old 03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
hscrugby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick favor to you guys,
Can you use some common sense, and NOT post people's cell phone numbers, etc etc in a public forum?

I understand they are employees, and trying to help you, but posting their cell phone numbers etc is a bit rude.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Jeepsterinvt

I too have been waiting for a CD to show up in the mail. I had been talked to Steve Montealegre at Becker, and he was very gracious in discussing the MyGig situation with me, but now there is no answer to e-mails or phone calls. I have been just looking for a status as to when they now think they will ship the S/W upgrade. This sudden lack of communication is giving me a bad feeling that something is happening. After spending $42K for a new jeep and finding one of the key features I spec.'d (Bluetooth) is not usable makes me very unhappy! Has anyone gotten any new news?

Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 PM
futil
Veteran

I sent a few emails over the past week to HB and it does seem like they fell off the map as they didn't reply to me either.. Same as you I am still waiting for the CDs which were slated to ship this week but maybethey ran intoan issue withthe release..

I don't think we could get away with discontinuing communications with customers at my job but I guess that would be an effective way to cut down on extra work..gonna have to try that..

Just out of curiousity, How many people are looking for this update to resolve an issue with their radio such as locking up orbluetooth phone incompatibilities?

I was holding off on recommending people check out the beta release since the official release was so close but it really sucks when you can't useyoure radio or phone for this long while waiting for a release. Especially when the beta software will resolve those issues until the official version is released.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:43 PM
hscrugby

Just remember with Harmon, we are NOT the customer.
The support etc they give is an "added" bonus.
Chrysler is their customer.

That being said, we are Chrysler's customers. And if we are happy, in theory we'll say good stuff to dealers or Chrysler, and when it comes time for a new contract between Harmon and Chrysler maybe Chrysler would see the financial benefit of paying for a web page that has software updates etc. (Heck even if it's just an internal one for their dealer networks so that the tech's can always make sure to have the latest version. That would be better than what we have now)

Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 PM
obrienj

futil,

How "bad" is the beta? In the software development world I retired from a "beta" was never somethingany customer of my company wouldput into production. Is HB beta product better?

Interestingly I took my cell phone lockup problem to my dealer and they offered that they had the newest updates for the RER. Turns out it was what was delivered with the car. They knew nothing of the problems I was having and had no knowledge of another update. They said they talked to Chrysler tech support. That was in early Feb.

As someone pointed out, we are not the HB customer, Chrysler is. That begs the question, has Chrysler put a gag on HB for providing direct support instead of that flowing through Chrysler product dealers. Having been in such a situation, it would make sense. If all of us go update our radios, Chrysler has no QC or service records for each of our cars to say nothing of the "unintended consequenses" Chrysler might have torepair or replace from an update gone bad. Remember Chrysler has stopped providing discs or downloads which were, at one time, available.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Jim

Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
kerosa01

Hey Futil - I have been waiting on this update - I have a steady problem with my radio just locking up, the dealer at first told me the antenna was loose, so I was OK for as couple days then itstartedhappeining again after that and I noticed the clock was not even showing - antenna would not have an affect on the clock would it?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
hscrugby

No gag order that I know of,
but people do go on vacation.
(I know one of the people you guys posted the cell # of is on vacation right now.)

Kerosa, if you're radio is having problems, hit it with the beta. (The beta has some problems, but it does fix a lot of other problems. Since you're currently seeing the other problems, you might as well try and fix those. )

The beta's not "bad" but it's not without known bugs.
For me, one of those known problems drove me NUTS. So I'm back to I think 661 or 665.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM
obrienj

hscrugby,

Based on the last line of your post, me thinks I will continue to hurry up and wait.

Regards,
Jim

Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
futil
Veteran

There were4 known bugs with the beta software, one of which was after navigation to a location was complete the destination icon was left on the screen. I remember this one because it was the last but to be fixed but unfortunatelyI forgot what the other3 bugs were.

I don't know which issue Hscrugby was having with the beta software but I have been running it for 7-8 weeks without issue.. It has fixed the lockup issue and the bluetooth issuesI was having leaving me with a radio thatI have no real complaints about and actually I don't really care if the official release ever comes out as everything is working as it should with no noticeable issues.Which is why I was recommending people with severe issues to check it out. If it would brick your radio or cause other significant issues I would never recommend trying it.Plus you can always downgrade your software.

Kerosa01, The antenna shouldn't have any lockup effect on the radio however the GPS having a bad connection would lead to the radio locking up as the radio initializes the GPS first. There is also an issue with older software versions in which the file system becomes corrupt causing random lockups which most people should be experiencing as this bug was pretty wide spread.

Also, While I have no arguments with the fact that Chrysler is the customer, I am providing beta testing information to Harman Becker which is a service I am performing for Harman Becker and not Chrysler so not replying to my emails would not be included within a discontinuation request from Chrysler and is the only reason why I find it strange that no one is replying when I send the information to multiple HB employees.

Chrysler stopped providing the updates because they were concerned about the excess bandwidth usage bringing their website down which is a terrible excuse for a major company in my opinion but that was confirmed by multiple Harman Becker techs.

It's also in Chrysler and HB's interest to help us update/fix our current radios as many dealers just pull the radios and send them back to HB which is no where as cost effective as to send a person a quick email, drop an update CD in the mailand then have them update their software especially when most of the time a software update will resolve the issue.

Quick Reply: MyGIG Software Update