2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tires! What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 AM
99BlackDak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires! What to buy?

I just bought a black 99' Dakota earlier this week, and it's a real gem with only 55,000 miles, but with that low mileage comes the fact that truck has sat, A lot. So the tires have a bit of dry rot and need to be replaced. Now, I'm a sucker for the BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA's, but I don't like the idea of paying $100 a tire. So, Is there something comperable to those that isn't so much that you guys can recommend?

Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tires! What to buy?

[sm=huh.gif]

$100/tire is relatively cheap!

Discount has the BFGs at $127 each. You could get a Pathfinder Trail A/P for $89, but, uh...

I'd go with the Yokohama Geolandar AT +II for $122/ea. I've got just over 40k on mine and they look like they've still got >50% left! They're 50k mile warranty tires and they still have gobs of tread left, and I've NEVER been in a situation where I wished I had a more aggressive tire, or less aggressive for those highway miles. Locking diff, sure, but the tires never let me down.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:37 AM
gutted
Veteran

I've had the BFG's for 6 months now. I love them. Winter was a breeze this year with my 2WD. I never got stuck, or even felt like I wasn't going to make it up any hill. I don't do any offroading really, but the few rough roads and trails I went on (up in the mountains in NY state, etc) were no problem with the BFGs but were with the stocker Goodyears. Not to mention my Dak looks like a real truck now!

The downside is the cost, and the added road noise (I actually like the noise though).

I see them wearing quickly... but I think this is all in my head, and not physically happening. Maybe because of the price I feel like they ought to last forever!

I'll wait a year before I decide if I'd buy them again for sure... but so far so very good!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 PM
MTHillBilly

I live my BFG's an 100? wow dude hook me up you dont even want to know what i spent for my set last week i dont know but the only question i have is what the hell does the KO mean on the tires? lol

Old 06-01-2007, 06:11 PM
99BlackDak

Yeah, a lot of the reviews I'm reading on them (BFG's) say that they wear very quickly, and I won't be doing much off roading, but being in Michigan, the weather is awful most of the time so that's what attracted me to these. And to answer about the price I was using tirerack.com, but I think I had the wrong size selected.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MTHillBilly

I live my BFG's an 100? wow dude hook me up you dont even want to know what i spent for my set last week i dont know but the only question i have is what the hell does the KO mean on the tires? lol

The KO means the design emphasis is Offroad. Not sure where they came up with it, but that's their little thing. KD = emphasis on dry, KDW is dry and wet, etc.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bfg's are weaing fine and I can see them lasting for quite a whil I have about 18k miles on them and with regular rotations I've probably got about 75% or a little more left. Oh and on a side note 31's are expensive you won't get any tires for much less than $100 that are actually worth driving on, just keep that in mind.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:18 AM
V8Boss
Professional

If you want a good price plus performance, go with the BFG ATs. I just did my homework last year and ended up going with the BFGs. For the price (some of the lowers that I found), performance, wear and look you cant beat them. I got mine about 12k miles ago and I cant even tell that they have worn with less than normal rotations. And I agree with you, Green. Its going to almost impossible to find decent 31s for under or even a little over $100.

Hey, I didnt realize you were from Reno, Green. I'm originally from Fallon....unfortunately.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:38 AM
99BlackDak

BFG's seem to be the popular choice here, so that's probably what I'll put on it. I'm not looking forward to my credit card bill.[:'(]

Old 06-02-2007, 06:17 AM
dakdriver06

iv'e got a BFG'S on mine..and they last forever...i bought them with the truck, and the had 30k on them when i bought it..and iv'e put about 20k on them...and they will not where down at all...it pisses me off cuz i want new tires cuz they don't hook up worth s##t...but if your lookin for a tire that lasts FOREVER...get the BFG'S radials (500 tread wear) $100 sounds good...but i pay wholesale for mine...so that sounds like alot to me...i want to sell my tires so i can get drag radials so i can hook up off the line....so if you want to buy used tires for cheapthat will probally last you another 30k...let me know!! just private message me!!

Quick Reply: Tires! What to buy?