2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Windows/locks/alarms

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
jakelee241
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows/locks/alarms

Hey, I'm new to the forum, so kindly excuse my ignorance.

I have a 2003 Dakota 3.9 V6 extended cab. I just moved to a semi-shady part of town so naturally I want to get a car alarm, as I was browsing I saw some conversion kits for Power Windows, Power Locks, alarms, and keyless entry. seeing as I have none of those I was/am pretty interested.
Is there a single kit to do all four and have it go through the same remote or will I have to get 4 different components (alarm, power window kit, power lock kit, keyless entry kit) and pray to the Truck Gods that I can get the alarm and keyless entry going through one remote.

Again forgive my ignorance please.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windows/locks/alarms

your better off trading your truck in for a dakota with the power package

Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
jakelee241

as much as i would love to do that, funds aren't that abundant right now, I would like to get the windows/locks powered, but if I can't do that I am still going to be getting an alarm. Any suggestions for alarms?

Old 06-14-2007, 02:02 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

You can buy aftermaket actuators for the door locks, they are relatively cheap, then you simply use some relays and some switches and/or the alarm module to activate them. I did this on my Cherokee andI love it. We install them at work all the time. Power windows are another thing, they don't make any real aftermarket kits for that.They do, but they usually suck and don't fit well.Your best bet is to go to a junkyard and grab the whole track and motors out of another dak with the power windows. They will bolt right into your doors. Then you'll need an aftermarket windowmodule and some switches to control the motor.

It can be done.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

I've been looking into security for my dak recently, everyone I've talked to has recommended getting an alarm made by Directed Electronics (They make Viper, Python, Clifford and a whole bunch of others)

Old 06-14-2007, 02:51 AM
f0x672
Champion

viper is the way to go

Old 06-14-2007, 04:02 AM
Billiam
Champion

ORIGINAL: jakelee241

Hey, I'm new to the forum, so kindly excuse my ignorance.

I have a 2003 Dakota 3.9 V6 extended cab. I just moved to a semi-shady part of town so naturally I want to get a car alarm, as I was browsing I saw some conversion kits for Power Windows, Power Locks, alarms, and keyless entry. seeing as I have none of those I was/am pretty interested.
Is there a single kit to do all four and have it go through the same remote or will I have to get 4 different components (alarm, power window kit, power lock kit, keyless entry kit) and pray to the Truck Gods that I can get the alarm and keyless entry going through one remote.

Again forgive my ignorance please.
Well if you do decide to get this done, let us know the damage to the pocket book.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:03 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best Buy can install the door locks.. not hard, i use to do it when i worked there.. the actuators are about 20 or 30$ each you noly need 2.. and go with the Viper alarm, it can al be done in 1 day.. but you wont have power windows.. not a big deal anyways, i dont like tuning on the truck to roll down windows.. manual is better.

I have the Viper on mine, its a little LED keychain with a pic of the truck on it and shows whats going on outside up to 3/4mile away..

Example: I was at my girlfriends soccer game, about 1/4 mile in doors with sheet metal surrounding us, my keychain started to beep at me (it tells you if your alarm or sensor is going off) i looked at it and it shows my arlam going off meaning someone had to hit it pretty hard, (the sensor is more for like door dings/loud exhuast ect) so me and a friend go running otuside and find a douche backing out of a parking spot scrapping my truck up in the proccess and my alram going off.. i run over and tell the KID to stop.. he gets out and i cuss a little and then told him to give me his lisence and insurance card.. got my truck fixed about 1 month later though is wonderful insruance and a little extra on the side..

alarm was about 500$ installed (i added a pyzo sirien and a backup battery so little more expensive) it took us about 6 hours to fully install.. this is what remote start, and all the goodies..

my insurance deducable is 500$ so if the douche would have got away (if i didnt have my alarm) i would of had to pay.. so my alarm has already paid for itself.. did a total of 1200 of damage to the truck.. not to bad, but to much if it was coming out of my pocket.

Get the viper, get the power locks, leave the windows alone.. spend about $500 or so and get it done.. it will pay it self off in less then 5 months... i love mine.

Plus to it gives you alot of ****s and giggels when people stand by your truck and you start it and watch them jump becuase no one is iside it.. i get people all the time.. people always stop and look in my truck and look at it.. so i always give them a little jump.. my exhuast is pretty loud when it starts up.. its fun..

LOL sorry about the book above.. i dont know whats wrong with me...

Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 AM
jakelee241

so a viper alarm is the way to go. would it be better to let Best Buy do it or do it my self money-wise anyway?

Old 06-14-2007, 05:09 PM
98R/TDak
Professional

well if u think u can run wires and place sensors on the truck then sure me and a buddy put an alarm on his truck and it took us a good 6-7 hours to do it cleanly and not rushing it...but arnt viper alarms expensive?