2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

heavy Vib at 70mph and up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:40 PM
dieseltwitch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heavy Vib at 70mph and up

Hi, im new here i found this forum in search for a problem im having with my 00' Dakota. at 70 mph and up i get a massive drive line high freq vib. its releivte to speed. I just did a clutch replacement. so i'm thinking i jacked some thing up some how but i dont know where to start looking. so i figured i would ask around and see if any one else has had this problem.
I did a few test and found that its not in the transmission. i also tried puting the X-case in N at speed and the vibe is still consitent.
when i climb under neith The U-joints all feel good. but there seams to be some excssive rotational play in the shaft. im not sure if its the diff or or the X-case. any one had a problem like this?
thanks for your help

Old 07-22-2007, 12:13 PM
V8Boss
Professional
Default RE: heavy Vib at 70mph and up

Welcome! Did you rule out tires (balancing, wear, mud, etc) and breaks? Where does it feel like the problem is at? I only ask because I had a bad front hub, bad breaks, old shocks and bad tire wear that would cause the same thing. After I got all that fixed, it all went away.

Now that I think about it, it did it in a variety of situations, not just at 70+MPH. Never know though. Just throwing it out there

Old 07-22-2007, 06:55 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you did your clutch, did you mark which part of the drive shaft goes where as far as the u joints. if not then the shaft is of by 180 degress. the shaft has to go back in the original spot. or the balancing will be off. sounds dumb but true.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Billiam
Champion

I was just going to mention that Superdak. I had a work truck with that problem.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:56 PM
dieseltwitch

thanks guys for the fast reply.
i dont think its the tries as it has come on gradualy. i did the clutch then pulled my boat 1600 miles (23 deck boat)
i also dont think it is the drive shaft... i never took it apart no new joints they all felt good.... unless your talking that it has to be matched to the diff. at a the right point
i climbed under the other day and yanked and yanked on my drive shaft... nothing no play nothing. how ever i have noticed a good about of ATF "like" oil on the bottom of the X-case. but i cant feel any thing. i also have an idea to put the truck up on jacks and rotate the wheels and spin the DS. see if i hear any thing knocking around in the case... hope i didnt screw any thing up in the x-case.... any other ideas

Old 07-24-2007, 11:02 PM
V8Boss
Professional

Hmm sorry man no other ideas. It's hard to get more ideas without actually riding in it and feeling it myself. Good luck finding the problem.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:49 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dieseltwitch

Hi, im new here i found this forum in search for a problem im having with my 00' Dakota. at 70 mph and up i get a massive drive line high freq vib. its releivte to speed. I just did a clutch replacement. so i'm thinking i jacked some thing up some how but i dont know where to start looking. so i figured i would ask around and see if any one else has had this problem.
I did a few test and found that its not in the transmission. i also tried puting the X-case in N at speed and the vibe is still consitent.
when i climb under neith The U-joints all feel good. but there seams to be some excssive rotational play in the shaft. im not sure if its the diff or or the X-case. any one had a problem like this?
thanks for your help
An internal ply separation in a tire will cause that.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:59 PM
englitrob
Rookie

I second the tire check. I don't know how many times I've slapped myself upside the head for living with a vibration that was nothing more than a unpronounced tread failure.

I have had more tires than not fail long before the tread was worn out. I need to start buying better tires. Either 4 tires for 99 dollars is just too good to pass up or Im a cheap ***.

Quick Reply: heavy Vib at 70mph and up