2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking for an R/T perhaps

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 AM
motorider228
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an R/T perhaps

Well I'm thinking if getting rid of my 06 Ram and perhaps getting a Dakota R/T. The pickins on Auto Trader are thin so I was wondering if there are any good forums out there to look at for R/T's for sale. If I get one it will have to be low miles and very clean so if you guys know where I could find one I would love that. Also, mileage is not a huge deal to me but I'm still wondering what you guys get with the Dak R/T's? Thanks everyone. Also, what should I expect to pay for a nice clean R/T?

Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
CYCLONE_06
Veteran
Default RE: Looking for an R/T perhaps

Well, As an R/T owner, I gotta tell ya, youd love it if you did get one. I myself would never have a Regular Cab, unless you want to turn it into a street / strip machine, but there are quite a few for sale on www.dakotausa.com and www.dakota-durango.com

The price actually depends on the mileage and year and shape. Keep in mind when buying an R/T any aftermarket parts that have been added DO NOT add to its value at all.

Theres a really nice R/T regular cab intense blue truck over at dakota-durango for sale. The owners username on the forum is Pixer.

You can PM me if you want to know anything else. If you buy that Regular cab, sell me the wheels LOL. Hes got the 20" R/T style wheels on it.

~CYCLONE_06

Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
motorider228
Champion

Thanks for the sites! I will check them out for sure. I would not mind having a clean club cab R/T but the regular cab would be nice for the saved weight. What do both trim levels run in the quarter stock? Do you know?

Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 PM
CYCLONE_06
Veteran

The RC is probably mid to high 14s stock and the CC is probably mid to high 15s stock. If you ever get an R/T and you are really serious about making it go fast, let me know and I will send you to the Mopar Guru, he knows everything about the Mopar world. His name is John Mercedes.

Another good place to check for R/Ts is ebay. Sometimes they have great deals.

~CYCLONE_06

Old 08-28-2007, 05:31 AM
motorider228
Champion

Anything I need to look out for in buying a used R/T? I think I will list my Ram for sale in auto trader pretty soon and start looking for a nice R/T.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
CYCLONE_06
Veteran

Yes... check the ball joints. Check the paint, all the body lines, make sure they all line up and all the paint matches. Finding one that hasnt been damaged is quite difficult.

I was just browsing on ebay last night, there are 2 or 3 very nice R/Ts on there. One of them is in my area, its a black club cab like mine. Has quite a few mods done, comes with 2 sets of wheels and he wants $7600 it has 110,000 miles on it. Thats just an example. Be advised, you probably wont have as much room in the dak, but its a much more personable vehicle. If you only drive yourself or yourself and a friend (girl), then Id say go for it. Dont pay anything over $10,000 for R/Ts up to 2001 unless the mileage is really low. Also, 2000 models and lower have less oxygen sensors, which means more stock hp.

~CYCLONE_06

Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM
motorider228
Champion

Thanks for the help man. I think 110,000 miles is a little high for me. I want to spend $12,000 max, is that a good amount to get a nice R/T? As for modding, I would prefer a fairly stock truck but how easy are these things to mod? I know the hemi is a BITCH to mod. How are the trannys in the dak? What kind of power can they handle? Are there lots of gusy out there who build performance trannys and motors for these things? I know that is a road block the hemi guys run into. I plan on full bolt ons at first and some drag radials and will hope I can be low 14's-high 13's with that. As for the two seater thing, I am only 19 and if I'm not driving by myself I am only with one person ever which is my girl friend so I will be fine with the two seater thing.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 PM
CYCLONE_06
Veteran

The Dakota R/T is an excellent platform to build on. Dodge straps them down very heavily from the factory. $12,000 will buy you a very nice R/T. If I were you, id try to find one for around $7,000 or $8,000 and save the rest for Mods, because they get pricey real fast lol. John Mercedes has some pretty serious mods for the HEMI as well.The R/T transmission has been known to break down. If you put a good lock up converter in it, and a Transgo Shift Kit in it, it really sturdies them up, and makes the power get down to the ground better. I have been told that a built up stock 46RE transmission can handle 1000 hp if built correctly. As said before, if you want some performance parts, go to John. I know I sound like a "nut swinger" for him, but seriously, his stuff is race proven, hes very knowledgeable, and hes a good personality and a good friend of mine.

Heres a list I started with when I first got my R/T :

*Vortech Supercharger Kit (comes with 6 to 8 lbs of boost pulley, can be changed for more boost)
*Set of Ported / Polished 1.92 R/T Heads
*Set of Harland Sharp 1.7Roller Rockers
*Ported / Polished 52mm throttle body
*Mopar 2 barrel intake manifold / install kit
*2 Felpro head gaskets / 1 Mopar intake manifold gasket
*Pre flashed Mopar PCM
*John Mercedes Long Tube Headers (only long tube headers available for R/T trucks)
*Spintech Side or rear exit truedualexhaust system
*Simms boxes (fools the oxygen sensors)
*Transgo shift kit
*2400 Mopar stall converter
*Hotchkis suspension (very costly, and usually on backorder)

That setup there should put you in the low mid to high 12s in full street trim.

Here are a few pics of my R/T below.

~CYCLONE_06

Old 08-29-2007, 02:01 AM
motorider228
Champion

Man you have one BAD truck. If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your truck with how many miles? Unless of course you bought it new. I think my ram will be going in auto trader by the end of the week. I have loved these daks since I was 15 so I would really like to own a nice low mileage one. I just see so many with retarded ricer body kits and hella damage, makes me sick since I am a nut about keeping my rides pristine.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 AM
CYCLONE_06
Veteran

We bought this one with 40,000 miles on it. Its a 2000. We paid $15k for it, but I wanted one really bad and they are hard to come by down here. Their market value isnt as good anymore, because even the newest model you can buy is an 03, and thats already 4 years old, so it kills the market value.

I dont have much done to the motor as of right now. I have a lot of parts, but I'm waiting on a few to finish my package off and then I will have it all put together at the same time.

Currently I have a Mopar PCM, a Transgo shift kit, a Mopar 2400 stall converter, a cold air intake, Street Scene Grille inserts, Street Scene lower bumper cover with Street Scene grille inserts, Diamond Cut headlights and parking lights, tinted windows, a 3d Tribal visor decal on the front window, and some wacky euro lights. Inside I have the Katzkin leather and LED interior lights in superwhite. Loads of mods left, and costly engine mods still in the works.

As for the body kits, there are only a few that actually look good. The GSM side skirt kit is very subtle, but only looks good on brighter color trucks, such as this red one below. There is also the Mopar stampede kit which looks good, but is very costly from the factory (cheap through John). The black one below has the Stampede on it. Other than those kits, I dont much care for body kits on these trucks either.

~CYCLONE_06