2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2nd Gen Dakota Wannabe - Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 AM
gjordahl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen Dakota Wannabe - Question

I'm looking fora 2nd gen Dakota Quad Cab for light towing (2,500 lbs).

I've driven the V8 4x4 but feel it may be a little overkill for weekend towing, so am leaning towards a V6 2wd. However if I get the V6 I have a few questions.....

a) I noticed that the difference between the 5 speed manual and the automatic as far as towing capacity is about 1,000 pounds (Manual can tow less). Why is this?

b) How common is a limited slip differential on the V6 2wd? Is there any way to easily identify a limited slip equipped vehicle (the dealers never know on used vehicles).

c) How would you weight the gas savings versus the power advantage of the V6 versus V8?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Old 10-18-2007, 10:11 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Gen Dakota Wannabe - Question

definitaly would go with the V8 i think you will be disapointed with a V6 once you have it for a while and start towing. My 4.7 gets about 18-21 depending on how i drive it maybe a lil less if i do a lot of city but i would def go with a V8...just my opinion and im not to sure about the other 2 questions.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Get a V8, I have a V6 and I wish I had the V8 it has more power, and they give you the same fuel economy. Also when your towing you will probably get more economy out of the truck you won't have to rev it so high.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Billiam
Champion

ORIGINAL: varsis

Get a V8, I have a V6 and I wish I had the V8 it has more power, and they give you the same fuel economy. Also when your towing you will probably get more economy out of the truck you won't have to rev it so high.

Just my 2 cents.
I was going to say the same thing.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM
gjordahl

Okay, sounds like the V8 is the way to go.....

If I go 2wd I want to be sure I get the limited slip diff. Anyway that it's easy to tell if a Dakota had the limited slip rear just by looking at it (like a "limited slip lube only" tag or something)?

Thanks,

Gary

Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I also agree... get the v8. I just picked up one of these 4.7 QC 4x4's cheep and am in the middle of fixing it up. mine has the 3.92 gearing so I'd assume my mileage is going to suck once it's on the road. It does haul *** though...

Old 10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
PKelly

The only way (except if the dealer/seller tells you) that I know to determine if it has a limited slip is by looking at the options stickeron the glovebox lid. It should state: axle - anti-spin differential.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

find the vin number and give it to the dealer. they can look it up and tell you if it has the limited slip or not. If you are towing and getting the quad cab you will not be happy with a V6!!!! The quad cab is heavier and the V6 leaves it somewhat underpowered anyways. Besides Gas mileage is not much different between the two motors. If youre going up to the mountains then 4X4 may be a good choice. If its just around town then 2WD will save you in maintainence and a little gas mileage.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM
gjordahl

All great feedback guys. Appreciate the info. Definitely sounds like the V8 is what I need to do.

BTW, I decided on the second gen because I think it looks 10 x better than the third. Not sure if this is a shared opinion in general on this forum, but just MHO.

Gary

Old 10-18-2007, 08:15 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you on the looks. I think most guys with 2nd generations prefer the way their truck looks over the new dak. But yea, there should be a sticker on the glovebox. If it isnt there, do a brakestand burnout and if both tires spin its got a limited slip. Make sure its on normal dry pavement though. sometimes an open differential will spin both if the road is covered in dirt or something.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Dakota Wannabe - Question